• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Guys to watch in the Ardennes Classics

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
May 28, 2012
Visit site
TomasC said:
I don't quite get why Sagan is not racing LBL (seemingly). He could have a chance there, more than in F-W, whis is the one he was reportedly considering apart from AGR.

Sagan will most likely only ride LBL if he still has the form to win the AGR.

Pentacycle said:
Sagan will most likely only ride LBL if he still has the form to win the AGR.

LBL is a much harder race. I think the team is trying to look after his interests which is why he missed Roubaix. He has plenty of time yet. Fleche is a much shorter and easier race than LBL so if does well in AGR he will probably ride Fleche and watch Rodriguez ride past him on the final climb.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
theyoungest said:
Mark Cavendish is now the favourite for Amstel. Terrible course.

Hardly, it's the exact same finish as the WC, isn't it?

Phil won that one very dominantly.

Maybe riders like EBH and Boonen(well, he has to do something this or next season :p).

Gilbert isn't in that kind of form. And not only the finish is the same as the Worlds, the final lap is (almost) the same as the Worlds course, meaning that the last difficult hill (Keutenberg) is at about 30 k from the finish line.

No one is stupid enough to attack at that point. This will be a race of waiting, waiting, waiting, even more than it used to be.

theyoungest said:
Gilbert isn't in that kind of form. And not only the finish is the same as the Worlds, the final lap is (almost) the same as the Worlds course, meaning that the last difficult hill (Keutenberg) is at about 30 k from the finish line.

No one is stupid enough to attack at that point. This will be a race of waiting, waiting, waiting, even more than it used to be.

wow that's really terrible, i guess i will only have to tune in for the last 3k.

also people seem to be forgetting it but Nibali will ride trentino and will only ride LBL.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
theyoungest said:

Meh, he nearly won AGR last year(just imagine if he started his attack a little later) and third in FW.

Judge is still out on Phil. In 2009 he also looked like crap before the Ronde van Vlaanderen where he all of a sudden podiumed(from the bunch sprint though, but still).

theyoungest said:
Mark Cavendish is now the favourite for Amstel. Terrible course.

El Pistolero said:
Hardly, it's the exact same finish as the WC, isn't it?

Phil won that one very dominantly.

Maybe riders like EBH and Boonen(well, he has to do something this or next season :p).

Can't see Cav or Boonen doing anything in AGR as they won't be even starting, EBH may not start either (he is down as a reserve) on a course that suits him more than the cobbles :D

TomasC said:
I don't quite get why Sagan is not racing LBL (seemingly). He could have a chance there, more than in F-W, whis is the one he was reportedly considering apart from AGR.

Well, honestly, i think it's because cannondale will surely want sagan to perform at ToC, so they want him to be rested there a little bit. Unless he wins the AGR, or is very very close, he will not ride the F-W either. If he has some results in F-W, I am not sure it's possible though, they cannondale will certainly think of milking the cow also in LBL.
On one hand, it would be nice to see Sagan in all of the Ardennes classic just to see, what the potential(apart from the AGR) is there for him and if he has the chance to win here in the future. On the other hand, I am afraid if he rides all of them and then ToC rightaway, he could be cooked for the rest of the season.

woodenswan said:
Sagan to do the double!
the Brabantse Pijl AGR double :D

Brabantse Pijl

Sagan needs to be prepared for a green assault:

252-PIC272190907.jpg

Bavarianrider said:
As long as it has that name it will always be one.
Probably currently the Ronde van Vlaanderen is more of a commercial gimmick. I guess you'd want to have the classic status removed from that race?

Of course the Amstel Gold Race is a stupid name, but I guess in the current climate in Holland we should be happy there's at least one sponsor interested in cycling ;)

tomorrow said:
Well, honestly, i think it's because cannondale will surely want sagan to perform at ToC, so they want him to be rested there a little bit. Unless he wins the AGR, or is very very close, he will not ride the F-W either. If he has some results in F-W, I am not sure it's possible though, they cannondale will certainly think of milking the cow also in LBL.
On one hand, it would be nice to see Sagan in all of the Ardennes classic just to see, what the potential(apart from the AGR) is there for him and if he has the chance to win here in the future. On the other hand, I am afraid if he rides all of them and then ToC rightaway, he could be cooked for the rest of the season.

What a shame to give preference to ToC over classics races in Europe, although I can understand that from Cdale's point of view.
On the other hand I think Sagan can take ToC as a cool-down excercise and still grab some wins there.