• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Haimar Zubeldia: The Anonymous One

I don't know why I follow Zubeldia's results each day. He never attacks. He's hardly ever noticed. One or two of his teammates are always picked to finish higher. Despite all that, the guy is consistent and many times ends up the highest on GC on his teams - Four top tens in the TDF and, most likely, a fifth top ten this year to go with two top tens in the Vuelta. And those top tens aren't built on accumulating time gaps in breakaways, they're built upon riding with the best. Is being consistently good in the Tour, but never winning, worthy of note?

Mar 14, 2009
Visit site
chiocciolis_calves said:
I don't know why I follow Zubeldia's results each day. He never attacks. He's hardly ever noticed. One or two of his teammates are always picked to finish higher. Despite all that, the guy is consistent and many times ends up the highest on GC on his teams - Four top tens in the TDF and, most likely, a fifth top ten this year to go with two top tens in the Vuelta. And those top tens aren't built on accumulating time gaps in breakaways, they're built upon riding with the best. Is being consistently good in the Tour, but never winning, worthy of note?

no, its not :cool:

chiocciolis_calves said:

Yes, it is :D

But I would imagine that most people will miss seeing this thread if it's anything like it's cyclist in question :p

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
BtVt7yIIIAAV7Al.jpg

May 20, 2010
Visit site
In 2003 Tour he even ended up in front of overhyped Mayo.

He always rides at his own pace. It wasn't unusual to see him drop from the group of favorites before 20 other riders only to end up 6th or 7th in the end, overtaking them one by one as they get cooked.

nesocip said:

He always rides at his own pace. It wasn't unusual to see him drop from the group of favorites before 20 other riders only to end up 6th or 7th in the end, overtaking them one by one as they get cooked.

Mayo isn't overhyped. He was literally the best climber of the last decade-and-a-bit. Zubeldia was better against the clock, but Mayo schooled the peloton between early 2003 and June 2004.

After that the team doctor left and he never quite reached that level again, but that's another story.

nesocip said:

Ten Dam said after he few stages he'd prefer to stick to Zubeldia "because he is strong and always keeps a good pace". Zubeldia never falters :D

TRENDING THREADS