• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Hamilton caught again!

Page 6 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
ElChingon said:
He needs at this point to spill the beans, so to speak and not in a book which no one will read. Once in print/video/audio hopefully he can breath a sigh of relief and move on without the monkey on his back.

The truth is all we (or some of us) want, not more spin doctoring. Till then, well he'll always be the double backstabber US based rider who is now the VDB of the USA.

If you want the truth then Hamilton is not a good source. No matter what he says, people will say he is lying. If the truth needs to be told about Postal then someone like Vaughters and his crew need to do it. I don't see Vaughters stepping up. Instead he gives fuzzy intimations about what was going on. If he really wanted to change the sport then he would lift the rug and expose the cockroaches instead of crowing about how clean the new rug is, which laid over the top of the old dirty one.

Maybe ever better would be to get Hamilton, FLandis, Vaughters, Vande Velde, and others to come forward together.

BroDeal said:
If he really wanted to change the sport then he would lift the rug and expose the cockroaches instead of crowing about how clean the new rug is, which laid over the top of the old dirty one.

Maybe ever better would be to get Hamilton, FLandis, Vaughters, Vande Velde, and others to come forward together.

But they'd get sued by "The Mafia"

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
BroDeal said:

And now, back to planet earth. Still, it would be a nice start.

Careers are made and destroyed by PEDs, rumors, "positives" and "non-negatives". Anyone currently riding or even remotely connected to cycling has their personal and professional credibility, cycling palmares, and money to lose.

I wonder if privately, Lemond had second thoughts about ever speaking out. Did he win the TdF then decide to become the poster child for whining, bitter Americans? Probably not.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
tifosa said:
And now, back to planet earth. Still, it would be a nice start.

Careers are made and destroyed by PEDs, rumors, "positives" and "non-negatives". Anyone currently riding or even remotely connected to cycling has their personal and professional credibility, cycling palmares, and money to lose.

I wonder if privately, Lemond had second thoughts about ever speaking out. Did he win the TdF then decide to become the poster child for whining, bitter Americans? Probably not.

Agreed. Further I think Tyler used DHEA because he had just reached the point where he didn't care anymore--that's the nature of the disease. On top of that, despite winning the national title, he'd lost his wife and his self-respect. Tyler Hamilton is seeking redeemption. He can't live with himself any longer. Look for a book and/or suicide.

whiteboytrash

BANNED
Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
Sheltowee said:
Agreed. Further I think Tyler used DHEA because he had just reached the point where he didn't care anymore--that's the nature of the disease. On top of that, despite winning the national title, he'd lost his wife and his self-respect. Tyler Hamilton is seeking redeemption. He can't live with himself any longer. Look for a book and/or suicide.

So could it be Hamilton's year?

"I think I have a chance," he says. "There's Lance, there's [Jan] Ullrich, there are many others who are big contenders. For me, I think I need to ride a perfect race. Lance last year, he didn't ride a perfect race and he still won."

It may be an open race but how clean will it be? Since a distinctly testy note crept into Hamilton's voice when asked about his reasons for switching from CSC to Phonak, the subject of drugs is not easily raised. It is not, generally, a professional cyclist's favourite topic for small talk. But Hamilton is unexpectedly forthcoming.

"I think it's in a good phase," he says. "I can't speak for the other teams but I can speak for my team and myself. I feel like it's cleaned up a lot. I got tested three times in the off-season; that's just out-of-competition testing. And with all three teams I've been on I've signed my contract knowing if I use illegal substances I'm fired straight away.

"I think it's getting better, though there is a lot of silence. But maybe the teams aren't so open because of the journalists. If they don't always write the truth, and then someone like [the retired Kelme rider Jesus] Manzano speaks, they take it word for word as though it's the truth. Between him and [former Cofidis professional Philippe] Gaumont, they've done so much damage to the sport, and how do we know it's all true?"

Apr 12, 2009
Visit site
BigBoat said:
That is almost competely, 99.8% determined by doping.

Who is even available to rider the big races for their teams depends on where they are in their drug cycle.

Really! why dont you just stop watching if you are so cynical

Apr 12, 2009
Visit site
180mmCrank said:
I am afraid until it ceases to be part of the sport it will always be a subject of conversation...so best to pick and choose what to respond to as feels most appropraite :rolleyes:

and then people will say that riders are getting better at doping that's why nobody is getting caught

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
BroDeal said:

Don't forget Hincapie, Livingston, Andreu, Jemison, they were on the team as well so they just might know something?

Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
Hamilton

The only good thing about this case is that the system worked. And we did not read about it in L' Equipe before due process was carried out. Aside from that it is very sad for cycling, for those who believed Tyler (long ago...), and sad that another great, high profile athlete's life is in ruins (mostly by his own doing). I just hope that he manages to put together a decent life for himself after all this; another Pantani-style crash and burn would be terrible. I would not want to trade lives with Tyler, Floyd, or for that matter, Lance.... I do not think fame and glory equate to a good, happy life. Better to be in the middle/back of the pack and have a happy, balanced life.

Mar 16, 2009
www.violetcrown.org
If Tyler Hamilton is some kind of scapegoat, then he went out and consciously auditioned for the role in a backless evening gown and stiletto heels. I suppose I'd be depressed, too, if I came up with a whopper like the one he gave to 'explain' his blood doping violation and nobody bought it.

In many ways, Hamilton and his entourage/posse perfectly characterize what's wrong with this goofy, beautiful sport in the US. The whining, the "I'm so misunderstood" BS, the effete delicacy of American bike racers and their silly fitness vagaries, etc. It's still an outsider's sport in this country. In Europe, those guys have a much more pugnacious, survivalist mentality. Blue collar, not New Age.

Hasta la vista, TH.

Rupert said:
The only good thing about this case is that the system worked. And we did not read about it in L' Equipe before due process was carried out.

Yeah, that bad old L'Equipe. How dare they report that an unknown rider has tested positive. Here in America we do it right. A member of a clothing company reveals that a specific rider has tested positive, and the news quickly spreads to every cycling forum on the Internet. Well, except for Velonews' forum, where the posts about Hamilton testing positive kept disappearing. The rumor is then confirmed by everyone who knows anyone in the pro cycling community, although no one is willing to give names of who confirmed what. You know what this means? The positive test for DHEA cannot be trusted with this massive amount of leaking. Hamilton must be innocent.

TRENDING THREADS