• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Hand issues

May 5, 2010
Visit site
Hi folks,

When I ride I get numbness in my left hand index finger and occasionally middle finger. I shake it out try to switch hand positions. It feels great for a while then returns. It does not seem to be a problem after riding. The real problem is my right hand. It never feels numb or tingly while riding. However, I am noticing a loss of strength in my index finger and certain wrist activities. One problem has become clipping my left hand nails with the nail clippers using the thumb and index finger of the right hand. I simply do not have the strength to make the clipper cut the nail. I suspect this is a nerve issue. Does anyone have any exercises or suggestions to help with this?
:(

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
See a doctor and a bike position expert - in THAT order.

The odds are that there is nothing significantly neurological going on and that it is your riding that is the cause but its important to close off that possibility as early as possible so you can relax and work on the solution.

Short version is that numbness in hands on the bike comes in two areas. Tension in the neck/shoulder can pressure a nerve which makes the little and ring fingers go numb. The source of the pressure for the thumb and index finger I can't remember off the top of my head but I think its either elbow or wrist? Sorry but am at work and don't have time to find the info.

Anybody?

Unless there is something extreme in your body makeup, bike position adjustment should fix it pretty quickly (although you may notice after effects for a few weeks or so)

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
Sounds like a simple carple tunnel compression. Get your Doctor to do an EMG to test it.

Simple flick of the knife takes 3 weeks full recovery if you get a good Neurosurgeon.

If the emg is OK put your seat back 10mm.take the waight of the wrist.

Try masage the wrist .
But in the end simple surgery is what it takes Carple tunnel compresion is common with cyclist who put their hands out when we fall

Jun 28, 2009
Visit site
Links to articles on pain/numbness issues that cyclists encounter...

http://www.hughston.com/hha/a_15_3_2.htm
http://sheldonbrown.com/pain.html

Also, many cyclists overlook how important core strength is. Do you work your abs and lower back in regards to strengthening? Just my 2 cents but just in case you have not considered this.

Can you tell us a little about your setup? What type of bike (stiff racing or more touring)? How high is your saddle in regards to your bars? Seat setback? Also, cleats on your shoes - how far forward or back are they positioned. This all can play into your posture on the bike and changes can matter.

May 5, 2010
Visit site
Hmmmmm said:
Links to articles on pain/numbness issues that cyclists encounter...

http://www.hughston.com/hha/a_15_3_2.htm
http://sheldonbrown.com/pain.html

Also, many cyclists overlook how important core strength is. Do you work your abs and lower back in regards to strengthening? Just my 2 cents but just in case you have not considered this.

Can you tell us a little about your setup? What type of bike (stiff racing or more touring)? How high is your saddle in regards to your bars? Seat setback? Also, cleats on your shoes - how far forward or back are they positioned. This all can play into your posture on the bike and changes can matter.

I have definitely not been doing enough core work recently.

My Bike is a Jamis Ventura Race. Carbon fork, monostay and seat post but the remainder is aluminum. I would say closer to a touring bike. I just started with clipless pedals. I have only used them a couple of times. Since going clipless I am trying to determine if I should set the seat back a hair farther. It feels like I should move the seat back but it is minimal. I try to take some time before making any changes. The seat is about level with with bars.

I have worked a little on my form since the original post. I realized I need to concentrate more on form. I noticed a tendancy to hunch when pressing for power. By hunching I mean rounded shoulders across my upper back and rounded back from tail to neck. When I arch my lower back, push my hips back and up and square, level, my shoulders I can feel tension relief in my lower back and neck.

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
If your hands were becoming tingly and numb, then it's a grip issue. Your pinching off the blood flow causing your hands to become numb. But I don't think this is your problem. When you said that you could barely clip your nails, I thought of carpal tunnel syndrome right away. I would visit a doctor and get it checked out.

May 5, 2010
Visit site
New development

I have been paying much better attention to my form on the bike. I also noticed when I was sitting on the couch with my laptop on my lap that my neck would start to get a small dull pain at the top of my back. I just started using my laptop on the couch in the past couple of months. I always used it on a hard surface before that. I stopped putting it on my lap. I now have full strength in my right hand. I only have numbness occasionally when I ride. I can reduce or eliminate it by frequently changing hand positions. A bit inconvenient but worth the comfort.:rolleyes:

TRENDING THREADS