• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Hardest riders in the peloton today?

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Oct 18, 2009
Visit site
Michele said:
How about some Gatto?

gatto-wins-659x440.jpg

Yeah they looked like they were riding 2 different races. They were all doing Dwars Door Vlaanderen and Gatto riding in Tenerife.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
dhawk97 said:
Jesus is that all it takes now?...

They've impressed me so far this Giro. Have been doing a lot of work for Nibali with much of the rest of the team being sick. So yeah, I include them.

May 16, 2012
Visit site
Another vote for Voeckler here.

He kept fighting for yellow when everyone thought he would give up. Day after day. Really seem to be a guy that loves cycling. I personally enjoys all his games and acting. Big personality. In the end its his legs that keeps him winning anyway.

Kiryienka and Stannard sure deserve mentions. José Iván Gutiérrez for sure. Bram Tankink, meting out justice in middle péloton with an iron fist. Mark Renshaw, because he's had the job for years of controlling all the people Cav had managed to p*ss off. Juan Antonio Flecha and Johnny Hoogerland, for finishing the stage where they were sideswiped by a car. Vino because Vino.

Afrank said:
They've impressed me so far this Giro. Have been doing a lot of work for Nibali with much of the rest of the team being sick. So yeah, I include them.

Well, as most of here do not know background of Tanel Kanger, I will explain a bit.

Kangert has always been very talented, If you look back his junior days 2004-2005 he was riding on par with names like Boasson Hagen, Kreuziger, Gesink. In France as amateur he took wins from left and right. But when he turned pro with AG2R everything went wrong. Though he had couple of decent results, he spent most of his time visiting doctors.

Basically, both of his knees are mess. Both of them are operated, but nothing have helped. After two years with AG2R he quit cycling. In 2010 he tried again, at the beginning as a hobby cyclist, then went to France again, raced with amateurs, knees were still hurting, but results started to came in again and then he got a contract with Astana.

His knees probably will never be okey and will always hurt (this year he again started season late because of knee pains). Sadly, I think, because of all this, he will never fulfil his true potential, but yeah, he is tough despite all his problems.

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
Sylvester said:
article-0-0C34EC5900000578-354_468x352.jpg

Mikel Nieve.

Hope he gets well soon, his allergies pretty much ruined his season up until now.

The hard mans battle with his allergies - sounds like something from the revenge of the nerds. Johnny Hoogerland riding on after going through a barbwire fence is hard, allergies....not so much.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Von Mises said:
Well, as most of here do not know background of Tanel Kanger, I will explain a bit.

Kangert has always been very talented, If you look back his junior days 2004-2005 he was riding on par with names like Boasson Hagen, Kreuziger, Gesink. In France as amateur he took wins from left and right. But when he turned pro with AG2R everything went wrong. Though he had couple of decent results, he spent most of his time visiting doctors.

Basically, both of his knees are mess. Both of them are operated, but nothing have helped. After two years with AG2R he quit cycling. In 2010 he tried again, at the beginning as a hobby cyclist, then went to France again, raced with amateurs, knees were still hurting, but results started to came in again and then he got a contract with Astana.

His knees probably will never be okey and will always hurt (this year he again started season late because of knee pains). Sadly, I think, because of all this, he will never fulfil his true potential, but yeah, he is tough despite all his problems.

Wow, didn't know that. Thanks for the info. :) Definitely a hard man of the peloton.
To the bolded, his 3rd in the TT was a pretty good result. So there may be hope yet, we'll have to wait and see what else he does.

TRENDING THREADS