• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Harrogate to host 2019 Worlds

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

Red Rick said:
Van Avermaet has made it to the first group in Ans once and got wrecked on the final hill.
Matthews couldn't finish s.t. as the winner in the sprint in Ans.

Sagan has shown he can do one 3 minute effort and be near the best. But he can't do 5 in one race.

How many steep 20% walls did they cover in the last 30 kilometres in the stage he won in Tirreno last year? 5, 6 or 7 or something like that?

tobydawq said:
Red Rick said:
Van Avermaet has made it to the first group in Ans once and got wrecked on the final hill.

Sagan has shown he can do one 3 minute effort and be near the best. But he can't do 5 in one race.

How many steep 20% walls did they cover in the last 30 kilometres in the stage he won in Tirreno last year? 5, 6 or 7 or something like that?
3, or something.

After only 200km, with only 30km that were hard, and he almost lost the sprint to Thibaut Pinot.

And then he was good in MSR and nowhere in the rest of the monuments.

Veloviewer have mapped the final circuit. Looks slightly harder than the profiles released last night.

DoF4xakWkAARwLy

Red Rick said:
tobydawq said:
Red Rick said:

3, or something.

After only 200km, with only 30km that were hard, and he almost lost the sprint to Thibaut Pinot.

Yeah, no, it was 6, he was nowhere near losing the sprint to Pinot, and he punctured out of an attack two times in Roubaix. If that's nowhere, then we're just not speaking the same language.

And what's your point, by the way? Now he isn't even good enough to be competitive in Flanders and Roubaix, either?

tobydawq said:
Red Rick said:
tobydawq said:
Red Rick said:

3, or something.

Yeah, no, it was 6, he was nowhere near losing the sprint to Pinot, and he punctured out of an attack two times in Roubaix. If that's nowhere, then we're just not speaking the same language.

And what's your point, by the way? Now he isn't even good enough to be competitive in Flanders and Roubaix, either?
My point is that Sagan is the favorite on most routes cause they're almost all the freaking same and not because Sagan can magically do everything.

Red Rick said:
tobydawq said:
Red Rick said:
tobydawq said:
Red Rick said:

3, or something.

My point is that Sagan is the favorite on most routes cause they're almost all the freaking same and not because Sagan can magically do everything.

Oh, I thought he was a versatile and good rider. Thanks for clarifying what's really up...

I mean, certainly Paris-Roubaix, De Brabantse Pijl, the Doha Worlds, the Richmond Worlds, Gent-Wevelgem, the Tour of California GC, the Tirreno stages 2017 and 2013, the Tour de Suisse 2011 Grindelwald stage, De Ronde, every punchy Tour stage and the Tour de Suisse prologue is totally the same.

Re:

Pricey_sky said:
Veloviewer have mapped the final circuit. Looks slightly harder than the profiles released last night.

DoF4xakWkAARwLy
The double digit ramps are still less than 100 m. The course is too hard for pure sprinters but not it's not a puncheur course.

Types like Colbrelli, Roosen, Trentin, Cort, Drucker, Dupont, Coquard, Pasqualon even Laporte and Demare could win it.

Sagan is usually a favorite for any race he enters for the same rason Valverde is almost always a favorite for any race he enters. They are both versatile and both have skill sets that very few other riders could even dream of having AND they both race to win every time they enter a race.

When I think about it, I doubt it will be a reduced sprint. Mostly because of the nature of Sagan (who could wait if he wanted to) and the fact that riders like Alaphillipe, Kwiatkowski, GVA can't solely rely on their sprint. They can't gamble on a sprint against Colbrelli and co.

There are also dangerous rouleurs like Valgren and Terpstra who you just can't let go.

Harlow Moor is an actual hill. 6% for over 1 km. I'm sure Sagan will launch his attack there.

Red Rick said:
Asero831 said:
Is this really a hard course? I feel Richmond and Bergen are harder.
Richmond was very easy, it was just that whatever hills they had were super close to the finish, so it would always be enough to ditch the pure sprinters.

Hills in Worlds nowadays are always about location, location, location.

Richmond wasn't that hard. The climbs were close to the finish line and the one that was closest actually was steep just very short. (I walked it a few times during the U-23 race.) The reasons several riders said that race was harder than expected was because of how fast they rode the race, that is what made it hard.

The final lap is part of the Regional Champs in Yorkshire. The kicker that VeloViewer (good Yorkshire lad himself) talks about is hard because you've scrubbed your speed off for the bend. The Pro's will have a better line due to the closed road but 7 laps of that, it's a good place to hit it and drain some of the sprinters legs and line it out.

One thing about the course. The roads are HEAVY as and will take their toll on the bunch.

2nd half of the lap should be really technical. Because bad positioning will waste a lot more energy if you're back the field should shred pretty quickly on this lap, and chasing should be pretty hard too.

I'm thinking the Dutch must go balls deep on Terpstra.

In fact, the main hill should actually favour the puncheurs over durable sprinters.

It may be more akin AGR to any other major classic.

TRENDING THREADS