• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Harrogate to host 2019 Worlds

Page 6 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

Valv.Piti said:
Asero831 said:
as per GVA, Richmond is a little harder. Also, this circuit is going to be demanding though because you’re constantly having to sprint out of the corners
hmm, I hope that's not the case. If so we are in for a borefest.
Richmond had what, hills of 300m? No way it's less hard that that one lmao.

I guess it's a more technical version of Bergen 2017.

If it's all about short ramps and bursts out of corners, surely it best resembles a slightly tougher version of the European Championships course in Glasgow, or the old Dutch Championship course at Kerkrade? I'd say that the issue is going to be the accumulation of those short efforts. The problem with Richmond was that the only decisive climb was so late in the circuit nobody would dare go earlier, as opposed to, say, Copenhagen where the only potentially decisive hills were so early in the circuit and with the rest of the course being so wide and straight nobody had faith they could make a decisive move on them.

Re:

Libertine Seguros said:
If it's all about short ramps and bursts out of corners, surely it best resembles a slightly tougher version of the European Championships course in Glasgow, or the old Dutch Championship course at Kerkrade? I'd say that the issue is going to be the accumulation of those short efforts. The problem with Richmond was that the only decisive climb was so late in the circuit nobody would dare go earlier, as opposed to, say, Copenhagen where the only potentially decisive hills were so early in the circuit and with the rest of the course being so wide and straight nobody had faith they could make a decisive move on them.
What was the hardest hill in Copenhagen? Wasn't it like 20m of altitude gain? I remember Hoogerland attacking, getting 5 seconds and dangling for 2km.

tobydawq said:
Valv.Piti said:
Sounds about right, it was an atrocity of a race and people in Denmark still act like it was good. Like for realz. Never have I seen such a meaningless WC.

I didn't even go because I found the route idiotic.
Didn't bother either tbh, altho it was about the time that I didn't follow cycling that closely. Wouldn't have went now still.

But in 2021.... well, I think I'll have to go at that point.

Valv.Piti said:
tobydawq said:
Valv.Piti said:
Sounds about right, it was an atrocity of a race and people in Denmark still act like it was good. Like for realz. Never have I seen such a meaningless WC.

Didn't bother either tbh, altho it was about the time that I didn't follow cycling that closely. Wouldn't have went now still.

I would probably have gone if it had been now, to be honest. And I am definitely also going to the Tour in 2021.

Red Rick said:
Valv.Piti said:
Asero831 said:
as per GVA, Richmond is a little harder. Also, this circuit is going to be demanding though because you’re constantly having to sprint out of the corners
hmm, I hope that's not the case. If so we are in for a borefest.
Richmond had what, hills of 300m? No way it's less hard that that one lmao.

I guess it's a more technical version of Bergen 2017.

There was a climb in the park and then one climb on the road before turning onto the finishing stretch which was a bit of an uphill drag. I walked that climb and drag multiple times on Friday during the U-23 race. The bottom of that climb was great for watching as you saw the riders twice per lap. We past the finish line for the Men's race on Sunday where we again saw the riders twice per lap. We were across the street from the gas station and construction at the corner lot. Watched the finish on a big screen TV across the feeding area. Actually were standing on the sidewalk with a portion of the Spanish team that had pulled out of the race that point in front of us. I would expect if this worlds has more climbing it would have to be just a little harder than Richmond.

tobydawq said:
Valv.Piti said:
tobydawq said:
Valv.Piti said:

I would probably have gone if it had been now, to be honest. And I am definitely also going to the Tour in 2021.
Yeah, the TT in Copenhagen will be great and then you might as well go and watch the other stages as well. Would be stupid not to. Damn I look forward to that. :cool:

Red Rick said:
Libertine Seguros said:
What was the hardest hill in Copenhagen? Wasn't it like 20m of altitude gain? I remember Hoogerland attacking, getting 5 seconds and dangling for 2km.

Copenhagen would have been different if they had turned it around, so the toughest hill would have been situated close to the finishing straight. It could have been done, don't know why they didn't. Maybe because they unofficially had decided it should be a race for the sprinters.

Danskebjerge said:
Red Rick said:
Libertine Seguros said:

I just watched the final kilometers again of that race. I'm not a fan of bunch sprint WC's but this one was nice. Intense fight for positions, no crashes, and the uphill finish did its job at the end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iI9vHMudU08

The favorites are diversed types of riders. Should be an exciting race
67628716_2508506419213072_2359331471061155840_n.jpg

By my calculations, with todays results of the European Championships road race, GB just missed out on getting a full squad to the World Championships at home.

Prior to the race, GB had 7093.98 and Denmark 7030.08 - a difference of 63.9 points.

Moerkoev and Asgreen got 101 points - Lawless got 30, and it is the last counting race - the UCI ranking for worlds goes public tonight.

So if my calculations are right, GB missed out by only 7,1 points, which means Denmark will get to field 8 riders at worlds, while GB can only select 6.

By my calculations, with todays results of the European Championships road race, GB just missed out on getting a full squad to the World Championships at home.

Prior to the race, GB had 7093.98 and Denmark 7030.08 - a difference of 63.9 points.

Moerkoev and Asgreen got 101 points - Lawless got 30, and it is the last counting race - the UCI ranking for worlds goes public tonight.

So if my calculations are right, GB missed out by only 7,1 points, which means Denmark will get to field 8 riders at worlds, while GB can only select 6.

Have you added in Tao G and Knox's points in Tour of Poland

The ITT and the route for the men look great. 285 in this terrain will no doubt take its toll, I definitely think it will be harder than Bergen. But I have a hard time judging if the long run-in will benefit the race overall - I tend to think not, although they will climb some decent climbs beforehand. But havent seen the lap so its hard to say something wise.

ITT is +50 km and what looks like rolling terrain, exactly like a big TT should be IMO.

The ITT and the route for the men look great. 285 in this terrain will no doubt take its toll, I definitely think it will be harder than Bergen. But I have a hard time judging if the long run-in will benefit the race overall - I tend to think not, although they will climb some decent climbs beforehand. But havent seen the lap so its hard to say something wise.

ITT is +50 km and what looks like rolling terrain, exactly like a big TT should be IMO.
Don't think the run in has much of an effect. Placement of the main hills in the circuit and how easy it is to chase matter the most. If there's only one place to attack and attacking before the last lap is suicide, then you get terrible races.

TRENDING THREADS