• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Harrogate to host 2019 Worlds

Page 7 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Don't think the run in has much of an effect. Placement of the main hills in the circuit and how easy it is to chase matter the most. If there's only one place to attack and attacking before the last lap is suicide, then you get terrible races.

We just saw a completely flat championship route, where people were attacking all over the place - granted due to wind - but Yorkshire is not exactly known for calm weather either ;)

I think it will be a war of attrition from the first k..... not least because there are at least 15 nations eyeing the gold medal.

Had the route been flatter we would be talking about 5-6 sprinters - had it had more altitude we would have be talking about 9-10 climbers.

This time around, there are far more contenders, from far more countries..... in the top 200 of the UCI ranking, you can probably find 100 that could conceivably win gold on that route, if the stars aligned.

Last edited:
Reactions: wirral
Because otherwise Eddy Merckx would still lead the ranking ;)

I just assumed they started every year with a blank slate, so S. Yates wouldn't get more points (for GB) from Pologne (because he wasn't riding), but he wouldn't lose points either.
But, honestly, if you came and told me that Samoa would be fielding eight riders because they scored points somewhere, I'd probably believe you.
Not sure they have eight riders, though…

I just assumed they started every year with a blank slate, so S. Yates wouldn't get more points (for GB) from Pologne (because he wasn't riding), but he wouldn't lose points either.
But, honestly, if you came and told me that Samoa would be fielding eight riders because they scored points somewhere, I'd probably believe you.
Not sure they have eight riders, though…

There is no particular start or finish to the ranking, it is ongoing perpetually, and last years points are constantly replaced with this years points, on a week by week basis.

Usually UCI update their website Sunday night, when the last race of Sunday is over...... this time around they have not.

Something tells me there is drama behind the scenes, because if the host nation is missing out on sending a full squad by only 7 points, UCI probably have to recheck all scores for the entire year, before going public.

- Incidentally, on a related matter, I think UCI should change the rules, so the host nation always gets a full squad, irrespective of the rankings.

- Incidentally, on a related matter, I think UCI should change the rules, so the host nation always gets a full squad, irrespective of the rankings.

Don't think it's a good idea when there are hosts like Qatar, but following could work.

• Host nation would always get at least four
  • If they qualify for four riders, they would get six
  • If they qualify for six riders, they would get eight

Don't think it's a good idea when there are hosts like Qatar, but following could work.

They get at least 6 by the current rules
5. Host nation:
Unless the nation of the country in which the UCI Road World Championships are organised has qualified a minimum of 6riders to start through provision 1to 4, the concerned nation may enter 6 riders to start

Reactions: Sandisfan

I honestly don't see a full squad as a problem.

Worst case scenario 6-7 continental riders get the ride of their life - cool by me.

It's not like it detracts seriously from the race in any way - you don't have to decrease the size of any other teams - and it gives the local spectators and media something to root for.

Cool list, thanks!

Btw, isn't Richeze now the continental RR champion, so Argentina gets the extra spot, or are the Pan-Am Games a different thing than continental championships? - In which case, where is the North American champion on your list?
The Pan American champion is the one that win the Pan American Championship (this year Jefferson Cepeda), the Pan American Games are the Americas equivalent of European Games or the Americas version of Olympics, if you prefer.
Anyway there aren't continental champions for North and South America alone, there is only the Pan American champion.

The Pan American champion is the one that win the Pan American Championship (this year Jefferson Cepeda), the Pan American Games are the Americas equivalent of European Games or the Americas version of Olympics, if you prefer.
Anyway there aren't continental champions for North and South America alone, there is only the Pan American champion.

Thanks for the information.

So is the Pan American Games only every 4 years?

It's now officially confirmed in the UCI rankings, that Denmark edges GB out of 10th place, meaning Denmark gets 8 riders and GB 6 riders, at the world championships road race.

Froome plummeting to 1205th in the UCI rankings has definitely taken its toll, while Fuglsangs stellar spring made the difference for Denmark.

The favorites are diversed types of riders. Should be an exciting race
67628716_2508506419213072_2359331471061155840_n.jpg
Bookies seem to be counting on this being a definite spring classic route and Viviani believes its not for him. Does anyone with knowledge of the area know what kind of a chance pure sprinters like Gaviria or Bennett would have of ending in the lead group

Probably only Cassani was convinced that is a sprinters route, we are lucky that Viviani realized that was too hard for him after reconning the route last spring and took himself out of contention because for him he was the undisputed leader and probably would have ended up like in Richmond when he finished five minutes behind.

Probably only Cassani was convinced that is a sprinters route, we are lucky that Viviani realized that was too hard for him after reconning the route last spring and took himself out of contention because for him he was the undisputed leader and probably would have ended up like in Richmond when he finished five minutes behind.

So assuming that remains the case who would be the Italian leader, Formolo or Bettiol or someone else?

So assuming that remains the case who would be the Italian leader, Formolo or Bettiol or someone else?
I think they'll try to make the race the harder possible for Trentin with riders like Bettiol or Moscon eventually launched in mid range attacks even if recently looks like they prefer to force the selection rather than launching some second fiddle in a mid range attack to force others to chase like they used to do for years.

Anyway we should wait and see in what shape the riders will be in a month or so because the team is usually decided after the Vuelta, Trentin looks like he was pulled out of every startlist since his signing for CCC was announced and not riding the Vuelta will be a big blow, Moscon was nowhere to be seen at the Tour, Bettiol was also a lot under the par and we don't know if Nibali will be in some decent shape and if actually wants to ride.

Booked the long weekend off work for the championship, was hoping to head down from Scotland for the weekend but stupidly forgot that I have a 15 month old baby boy and the wife is working that weekend so I have no one to watch him...so it looks like I’ll be watching it from the comfort of my couch....I’m in 2 minds about it, as right now the weather is great but at that the end of September it could be bad

The danish cycling federation today confirmed to UCI, that they will enter 4 riders for the U23 TT, because Bjerg and Price-Pejtersen are qualified outside the national limit of 2, due to being reigning world and european champions.

They could conceivably take all 3 medals, with Mathias Norsgaard being the third medals contender.

On the Italian forum they reported that in an interview Cassani confirmed that Trentin will be the leader with Bettiol, apparently also the useless (always) Colbrelli and (on this route) Formolo will be protected and he wants Moscon to mark van der Poel because he thinks he's the only italian able to follow his accelerations. Others likely to go are Ballerini and Masnada, and probably Affini and Ganna for the TT because they wrote "two young riders".

TRENDING THREADS