• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Harrogate to host 2019 Worlds

Page 12 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Even though they're officially riding for national teams the presence of Deceuninck-QSt in several selections will have a influence on the race.

Belgium: Gilbert, Evenepoel, Lampaert, Declercq
France: Alaphilippe, Cavagna
Czech Republic: Stybar
Denmark: Asgreen
Luxemburg: Jungels
(Colombia: Hodeg)

That's five countries with a potential winner. Are they going to chase each other when necessary?

Uran or Henao are unlikely to be competitive on this Worlds course. They would certainly be contenders (if fit) on a more difficult parcours, but I don’t think this race will have enough elevation for them.

And I can’t think of another Colombian from the past (not Herrera, Parra, Mejia, Botero etc) who would be a genuine chance on the route. Plenty who should have done well on last year’s route, but not this year.
My comment referred to the word "ever". Neither Uran nor Henao are here. So it is a moot point. But both had the potential of winning medals. Chaves, Betancur, Mejia. All these were capable of winning medals at one point as well. This year not so much. But putting hopes on Gaviria only is not right. He even needs a less bumpy route. And I hope many more with come with possibilities. :)

Benoît Cosnefroy is the last man called up in the French team.

It will probably go like this:

Julian Alaphilippe (Deceuninck-Quick Step) - leader
Rémi Cavagna (Deceuninck-Quick Step) - helper
Florian Sénéchal (Deceunick-Quick Step) - helper
Benoît Cosnefroy (AG2R La Mondiale) - helper
Tony Gallopin (AG2R La Mondiale) - road captain
Christophe Laporte (Cofidis) - generous
Anthony Roux (Groupama-FDJ) - grunt
Julien Bernard (Trek-Segafredo) - grunt

Poor Sagan. I have bought my airplane tickets. :p It means he will finish out of the podium.
Unfortunately for him, it is hard for me to resist return air tickets for 30 EUR. For me, nothing can match the atmosphere of WCRR.
+ I promised my mom to take her to England where she never has been so far.

30 Euros?! Good find. That's about the same as my 1.5 hour journey on the train to Bradford for the women's ride out.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Even though they're officially riding for national teams the presence of Deceuninck-QSt in several selections will have a influence on the race.

That's five countries with a potential winner. Are they going to chase each other when necessary?

Moerkoev for Denmark
Senechal for France

You could also look at it from a different angle:

Belgium: Evenepoel, Lampaert, Declercq
France: Alaphilippe, Cavagna, Senechal
Czech Republic: Stybar, Vakoc
Denmark: Asgreen, Morkov
Colombia: Hodeg
Ireland: Bennett (if transfer falls through)
Italy: Ballerini (if selected)

From a team perspective, what counts most is the jersey next year :) From a riders perspective friendships and respect between riders definitely play a role too.

But to answer your question: hard to say. Can’t say it’s often played a determining role in previous WCs. But in a small group it can definitely be a factor.

Last edited:
Don't understand how they can leave out Vanmarcke after Plouay. Also Stuyven finally found is form, but they rather selected Lampaert who will be every other teams best domestique. At least no Benoot.

I wouldn’t underestimate Lampaerts form. He was 2nd at the EC, maybe the strongest in Germany and recently dominated a race in Belgium (even if only a kermesse race).

Belgian DS Verbrugghe says he wants Lampaert to fulfill a role that he has all year within Quick Step, unlike Stuyven or Vanmarcke who are leaders/more protected in their respective teams. That makes sense.

Both Stuyven and Vanmarcke are individuals within the team and no matter how many great riders you can select, I do believe you need 1 or 2 (semi-)helpers, always.

The Australian team was announced 6 weeks ago - It is Matthews, Clarke, Durbridge, Haas, Haig, Dennis, Docker, Sutherland - It's a well balanced squad with Matthews and Clarke the leaders - The more relevant question is whether Wollongong will select a flat course for the 2021 World's.

Reactions: 42x16ss
I don't know, think he'll going to be just fine on this course. It's harder than Richmond although with the easier finale. It's a long and hard course, it will favor riders with great endurance and I think that riders that rode Vuelta will have advantage here. Valverde could very well end in top 10, maybe even on the podium in some ideal scenario. But I can't see him winning here, his speed decline and to win here you must beat some very fast guys.
To me top favorite is Belgium with Gilbert and Van Avermaet. Main contender should be "one and only" Mathieu Van Der Poel, then Sagan, Alaphilippe, Trentin and many others. Although I must say I think Alaphilippe will not be a main protagonist here. He already had two incredible peaks, he was dead after the Tour, he needed a long rest and he choose a lighter approach, which will end by him not being at 100%, and you must be if you want to win here.

The easier final is the issue for Valverde. I agree a top 10 is very likely, but a podium would take things going perfectly for him. I don't see any real scenario where he wins, which I'm ok with. He got the title last year and that was extremely important. As you can see with my top two picks, I agree with you. :)

The Australian team was announced 6 weeks ago - It is Matthews, Clarke, Durbridge, Haas, Haig, Dennis, Docker, Sutherland - It's a well balanced squad with Matthews and Clarke the leaders - The more relevant question is whether Wollongong will select a flat course for the 2021 World's.
Good to hear, that's a properly competitive squad. Haig, Durbridge and possibly Haas (fitness depending) can do something on this course as well.

Has the Australian team been announced yet?

I know bashing Michael Matthews is a favourite pasttime of this forum and he isn't quite in the same form as last year but they will have a seriously competitive squad for this course. Something like Clarke, Durbridge, Haussler, Haas, Hansen, Docker, Power and Meyer can show very well.

• Simon Clarke (EF Education First)
  • Rohan Dennis (Bahrain Merida)
  • Mitchell Docker (EF Education First)
  • Luke Durbridge (Mitchelton-Scott)
  • Nathan Haas (Team Katusha Alpecin)
  • Jack Haig (Mitchelton-Scott)
  • Michael Matthews (Team Sunweb)
  • Rory Sutherland (UAE-Team Emirates)

Reactions: 42x16ss

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts