• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Harrogate to host 2019 Worlds

Page 13 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
You could also look at it from a different angle:

Belgium: Evenepoel, Lampaert, Declercq
France: Alaphilippe, Cavagna, Senechal
Czech Republic: Stybar, Vakoc
Denmark: Asgreen, Morkov
Luxemburg: Jungels
Colombia: Hodeg
Ireland: Bennett (if transfer falls through)
Italy: Ballerini (if selected)

From a team perspective, what counts most is the jersey next year :) From a riders perspective friendships and respect between riders definitely play a role too.

But to answer your question: hard to say. Can’t say it’s often played a determining role in previous WCs. But in a small group it can definitely be a factor.

Something I do feel rather confident about saying is that if a DQ rider wins, his teammates-turned-rivals-for-the-day will be genuinely happy for him, even if each of them - hopefully - were doing their very best to beat him, and are also quite disappointed.

Don't understand how they can leave out Vanmarcke after Plouay. Also Stuyven finally found is form, but they rather selected Lampaert who will be every other teams best domestique. At least no Benoot.
I can understand that they include four riders from D-QSt, because after all they know how to win as a team. However on that course and with his current shape Vanmarcke would have been a better option than Teuns. In the RvV he proved that he can be a good teammate by launching Bettiol towards the Kwaremont.

Assuming he actually starts a race he has been signed up for
You are behind the times, the new Betancur is very reliable. He has been racing steadily all season, but his results have been mediocre. Not bad exactly, but not great either: as I posted in another thread last week, he has finished between 11th and 50th in pretty much every race and stage he has ridden since mid-April this year.

I predict he finishes 15th at the World's (just as he did at LBL and in Montreal).

I'm guessing quite an aggressive race then? Because there aren't many domestiques there, I can't really imagine Ulissi in good form not trying to do something himself

If there is one thing I have learned, watching italian teams at worlds through the years, it is that no matter how much infighting they have going on in the press, no matter how much organisational chaos they may (or may not have), on race day, they always show up and ride as a team.

Reactions: yaco and Koronin
From the CN article:

“Roglič was confirmed in the eight-rider elite men’s team on Tuesday, with Tadej Pogačar and Matej Mohorič also leaders in a strong squad. Completing the team are Jan Tratnik, Luka Pibernik, Grega Bole, Jan Polanc and David Per. Luka Mezgec is absent after crashing out of the Vuelta and fracturing his hip.”

I know that it’s very unusual for such a small country from outside the historic heartland of the sport to have three riders of the quality of Roglic, Pogacar and Mohoric simultaneously. But when you look more closely, their roster gets even more bizarrely deep. Spilak too. Just an incredibly good current crop for a state with 2 million people.

Last edited:
**** *Alaphilippe, Gilbert
****Sagan, Van der Poel
***Evenepoel, Matthews, Trentin
**Stybar, Asgreen, Van Avermaet, Fuglsang
*Roglic, Pogacar, Valverde, Politt, Bettiol, Jungels

EDIT: When I type 5 stars it's automatically changed into one star, so I had to put in a space.

**** *Alaphilippe, Gilbert
****Sagan, Van der Poel
***Evenepoel, Matthews, Trentin
**Stybar, Asgreen, Van Avermaet, Fuglsang
*Roglic, Pogacar, Valverde, Politt, Bettiol, Jungels

EDIT: When I type 5 stars it's automatically changed into one star, so I had to put in a space.

I think you are missing some nationalities on that list, because of how the world championships teams are set up (both in terms of size and quality).

I'd also be shocked, if there was no brit in top 10, on home soil.

Germany, GB and Norway should certainly be in the mix, as would Woods representing Canada.

TRENDING THREADS