• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Harrogate to host 2019 Worlds

Page 15 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
True, but I did adjust my ratings when I lumped Belgium as a whole into the 5 star category. Otherwise I would have had Bennett as 2 and Matthews as 3 for example.
Yeah, the “Any Belgian, 5 stars” caught my eye, and I was going to say “Naessen or Lampaert aren’t a better chance than Alaphilippe or Trentin” but then I remembered Dhaenens and deWolf going 1-2 in 1990...

The course might be perfect for Kristoff.

1.) It's super long.
2.) Not as hard as an Ardennes classics which would put him put him out of contention but hard enough to eliminate the more pure sprinters like Bennett and Ackermann.

And the non-warm weather is a great bonus.

1.) It's super long.
2.) Not as hard as an Ardennes classics which would put him put him out of contention but hard enough to eliminate the more pure sprinters like Bennett and Ackermann.

non-warm weather? If it continues to be what is forecast mid next week they will all be in short sleeves and shorts, it will be probably at least 14 degrees. I know the pro's have better efficient bodies than joe public, but that isnt cold. Especially for the Northern Hemisphere guys.

Having said all this, I do think that the course design just about hits that sweet spot between being selective but not being too selective, and really leaves it up to the riders to determine how it's raced.
I think it will be very selective, terrain begs for attacking race, and the strongest teams have multiple options for the win. I think 10-15 riders will arrive at the finish at most, maybe even a smaller group if someone escapes.

1.) It's super long.

Yeah, like I said some days ago he would have been my favourite if it wasn't for the uphill sprint that will likely take him out of contention.

So, weather notwithstanding (we all know that can change everything), how do people see this race unfold, and how do you think your nations team will ride it?

For the Danes, I see them riding passively for the first half of the race, possibly with a single guy in the early break, solely to avoid doing work in the peloton, but then start to attack on the last climbs prior to the circuit, and throughout the circuit, in order to force the "sprinters teams" to burn themselves up chasing.

The object will be, to end up having 2-3 guys in a select group of 15-20 riders, with 20-30 k to the finish.

Yeah, like I said some days ago he would have been my favourite if it wasn't for the uphill sprint that will likely take him out of contention.
I think too much is being made of the uphill finish. There's a small ramp just out of the corner and then it's false flat. As the traffic islands are removable, thanks @MartinGT , any bunch coming into that corner together will be hitting it at 50-odd kph and they'll hardy even notice the ramp.

Reactions: postmanhat
I don't think the tiny ramp is a problem for Kristoff.

His main problem would be surviving a race with constant attacks. He is very fast and strong like an ox but not a rider who like a race with constant accelerations and changes in pace before the absolute final.

Unless we are talking 2015-Kristoff. But I actually think he was the best rouleur that year, not sprinter. :p

I don't think the tiny ramp is a problem for Kristoff.

His main problem would be surviving a race with constant attacks. He is very fast and strong like an ox but not a rider who like a race with constant accelerations and changes in pace before the absolute final.

Unless we are talking 2015-Kristoff. But I actually think he was the best rouleur that year, not sprinter. :p
Seems to be alot of sprinters and possible contenders this year on smaller teams so fighting for wheels behind the larger teams will be vicious

sagan, MVP and Trentin are the only "sprinters" capable of winning this race. Don't forget that Belgium will break the race in pieces.
Exactly. And as they should. Trick is to isolate them and then attack them to make them work.

It takes two to tango.

Some teams will try to break it up, but others will try to keep it together.

Team like Australia, Italy, Germany, Norway & Ireland will probably fight to keep it all together, and all of them have very capable squads to achieve that...... though in the case of the Italians, their signature move is to drop a guy in the early move, so they don't have to do any work too early.

TRENDING THREADS