• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Healing a broken collar bone

Mar 12, 2009
www.actvets.cc
I had the misfortune last Friday morning to be assaulted by Skippy. Coming down a hill here in Canberra, where we had deliberately slowed down on due to the number of the ******s around, a big red decided to leap off an embankment and land on me.

Besides the broken forks on my less then 6 month old bike the damage has not been to bad. Various cuts, scrapes, abrasions and a mild break of the collar bone.

The not being able to ride is starting to drive me nuts but I figure I can hold out the recommended two weeks of immobilisation of the arm before i get on the trainer and try and get some fitness back.

Love to hear from some other survivors to know how they got through and what they the assist in their recovery.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
When to train again.

I broke my collar bone in a race nine days ago. It still hurts but the pain reduces a little every day.

How will I know when I can safely get on the home trainer? I don't want to be too eager and put my eventual recovery time back by causing damage. How will I know when it is OK to get back on the road?

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
The honest answer is, only a medical examination will tell you.
However, having broken my collarbone twice I can speak from experience.
I began gentle riding on the turbo after 3 weeks, supporting my body with only one arm!
I think I was back out on the road in 6 weeks.

But, let your Doctor be the judge, otherwise being too eager to get back could complicate things more than they already are.
Best of luck.

DaveMM said:
The honest answer is, only a medical examination will tell you.
However, having broken my collarbone twice I can speak from experience.
I began gentle riding on the turbo after 3 weeks, supporting my body with only one arm!
I think I was back out on the road in 6 weeks.

But, let your Doctor be the judge, otherwise being too eager to get back could complicate things more than they already are.
Best of luck.

DaveMM has good advice. After my broken CB I waited 3 weeks to get on a stationary trainer, not rollers, (no hands on bars, just seated at first) and about 6-8 weeks before hitting the road. And when I got on the road I took some easier casual rides where I was not doing a lot of pulling on the bars. My break was pretty severe, so this might serve as an indicator of what to do in that event. My break was caused by landing on my side, shoulders perpendicular to the road surface. The impact caused the bone to splinter into multiple fragments (what it looked like on the x-ray... imagine putting your hands together at the fingertips and then move the hands together, sliding your fingers past each other).

Sep 2, 2009
Visit site
on3m@n@rmy said:
DaveMM has good advice. After my broken CB I waited 3 weeks to get on a stationary trainer, not rollers, (no hands on bars, just seated at first) and about 6-8 weeks before hitting the road. And when I got on the road I took some easier casual rides where I was not doing a lot of pulling on the bars. My break was pretty severe, so this might serve as an indicator of what to do in that event. My break was caused by landing on my side, shoulders perpendicular to the road surface. The impact caused the bone to splinter into multiple fragments (what it looked like on the x-ray... imagine putting your hands together at the fingertips and then move the hands together, sliding your fingers past each other).

Sounds like what happened to me, although in my case the fracture was very clean. One end pointed almost directly outwards, it didn't exactly require a doctor to determine the injury.
14 days of complete rest (I don't know how the pro riders are able to cut the recovery shorter).
Then I was on stationary bike for a week (2 hours pr day).
by the end of the 3rd week my doctor was worried that I had rushed it to much, so he ordered new x-rays, fortunately they came out fine. I did however cancel all training for a week, which I think was a wise decision.

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
Have broken mine twice this year....well, one break and one re break. Listen to your doctor and physio....only get back on the bike when you are up to load bearing on your physio exercises, then I would probably say stick to the turbo for longer than feels neccessary. If it is a clean break I would say anywhere from six to twelve weeks, realistically before venturing outside. Riding on the road is going to put the break point under further strain as you hit potholes, turn, break, pull etc. Don't rush it or you will find yourself ending up having to have an operation to correct any further damage you have done, and then you will be off for a really long time.

It sucks big time....I have somehow managed to go twenty years as a cyclist without breaking my collar bone, now two in eight months. Hope you heal quick. Buy some new music for the turbo...maybe even treat yourself to a shiny new fan, and thank god it wasn't worse.

Gotta say, a kangaroo being the cause does sound way cooler than a black cab driver in london though...:D

Peace

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
Bike Boy said:
I sure hope he's healed by now

ha ha....didn't even see the date of his post....just saw the thread was recent

Thanks for that....though someone else has more recently had a break it appears

Sep 2, 2009
Visit site
straydog said:
ha ha....didn't even see the date of his post....just saw the thread was recent

Thanks for that....though someone else has more recently had a break it appears

Yes, including your self I understand. About that can I ask you why you recommend 6 - 12 weeks, it seems rather long to me.

And also my doctor never recomended physio, but maybe that depends on what the x-ray shows? All i did was resting, but maybe that's why it hurt a lot when I finally returned to my job.

I really wish you the best of luck regarding not breaking any bones in the furure, you clearly had your share.

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
Bike Boy said:
Yes, including your self I understand. About that can I ask you why you recommend 6 - 12 weeks, it seems rather long to me.

And also my doctor never recomended physio, but maybe that depends on what the x-ray shows? All i did was resting, but maybe that's why it hurt a lot when I finally returned to my job.

I really wish you the best of luck regarding not breaking any bones in the furure, you clearly had your share.

Because honestly the first break I couldn't bear any weight for about 8 weeks....it's just my experience...then I got on the turbo for four and then on the road...it still was giving me pain though for about two weeks.

Second time I was back on the road after 6 weeks....about four before I could bear weight....was just less severe.

Physio. You must get some. Your Doctor isn't doing his job unless he sorts this out for you. Any break that involves movement...i.e hip, knee, collar bone etc. requires physio to ensure strength and most importantly mobility is gradually returned. And yes that will be why it hurts. Essentially if the muscles around your shoulder atrophy while you "rest", you have to tear them to regain their flexibility. And that hurts and can also be difficult/ impossible if you have rested them for too long.

Hope yours is feeling better now. Any issues, seriously see a physio. And yes i am praying I don't break anything else for a while. I also broke my jaw and my skull the first time. Frankly if I stub my toe now I feel someone is out to get me!

Bike Boy said:
Sounds like what happened to me, although in my case the fracture was very clean. One end pointed almost directly outwards, it didn't exactly require a doctor to determine the injury.

By any chance were you going pretty fast (more of a glancing blow)? Cuz when I did my deed I was rounding a corner going maybe 15 mph. The pave was covered with water from a thunder shower, and it was pretty slick with the water and the surface oil. I went down so fast my hands were still on the bars when I hit.

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
on3m@n@rmy said:
TWICE? I feel for ya bro. That would definately not be fun. Nice tag name and avatar BTW straydog.

why thanks...yours aint so bad either.

Yeah collar bone break sucks....wouldn't wish it on anyone....not even race radio:D

Sep 2, 2009
Visit site
on3m@n@rmy said:
By any chance were you going pretty fast (more of a glancing blow)? Cuz when I did my deed I was rounding a corner going maybe 15 mph. The pave was covered with water from a thunder shower, and it was pretty slick with the water and the surface oil. I went down so fast my hands were still on the bars when I hit.

Yes, quite possibly 40 km/t, I would say that's rather fast, maybe not in general, but so it seems, in comparision with your description.
As you indicate, this could be the clue to why the two outcomes were so different. It makes sence to me.

Slow speed = hard fall,

high speed = soft fall (but potentially more dangerous because of the build up kinetic energy)

I'm still puzzled about the physics, because what exactly is the reason? angular momentum is of course accountable for some of it, the question is, to which degree?

I'm sorry I just went out of a tangent, If you don't care about physics, don't bother, sometimes I just can't help my self.

cheers.

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
Bike Boy said:
Yes, quite possibly 40 km/t, I would say that's rather fast, maybe not in general, but so it seems, in comparision with your description.
As you indicate, this could be the clue to why the two outcomes were so different. It makes sence to me.

Slow speed = hard fall,

high speed = soft fall (but potentially more dangerous because of the build up kinetic energy)

I'm still puzzled about the physics, because what exactly is the reason? angular momentum is of course accountable for some of it, the question is, to which degree?

I'm sorry I just went out of a tangent, If you don't care about physics, don't bother, sometimes I just can't help my self.

cheers.

lol...ok I'll bite

essentially because at high speed your forward momentum is counteracting the effects of gravity....i.e. when you fall you are propelled forward with greater force than you are propelled downward. Therefore the impact is less severe than at slower speeds, unless you slide into a wall that is.:mad:

Hope that helps

TRENDING THREADS