• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Hein Verbruggen

Page 9 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
missed chance

Just can't help feeling sad about missing that chance in 99 to really clean up cycling.

Just imagine, if they had booted Lance out, would it have cleaned up then?
There is evidence many teams say they stopped or seriously toned it down after 98, but after Lance won in 99, it was back to usual

Maybe I'm being too naïve?:(

coinneach said:
Just can't help feeling sad about missing that chance in 99 to really clean up cycling.

Just imagine, if they had booted Lance out, would it have cleaned up then?
There is evidence many teams say they stopped or seriously toned it down after 98, but after Lance won in 99, it was back to usual

Maybe I'm being too naïve?:(

Look at hct levels at 1999 Giro.

del1962 said:
Look at hct levels at 1999 Giro.

With respect, the Giro was before the Tour in 99

Others have said they rode the tour in 99 clean after Festina.

I am talking about what cycling might have looked like in 2000 if Lance had been popped in 99.

Of course there will always be people willing to risk it all, the hope must be that they are in a small minority and enough of them get caught out to act as a detterent

coinneach said:
With respect, the Giro was before the Tour in 99

Others have said they rode the tour in 99 clean after Festina.

I am talking about what cycling might have looked like in 2000 if Lance had been popped in 99.

Of course there will always be people willing to risk it all, the hope must be that they are in a small minority and enough of them get caught out to act as a detterent

Perhaps I am misinterpreting what you said, but there where others in 1999 who where seriously doping, others had toned it down as you say.

martinvickers

BANNED
Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
Benotti69 said:
Wonder will Armstrong manage to take down half IOC with Hein or will IOC throw Hein under the bus to stop extra leakage..........

Given Diack (IAAF) going completely off reservation in the last couple of days re Kenya and Jamaica, and both Rio and Sochi home games drug testing publically falling apart - there's actually some hope the dominos will tumble.

UCI might yet find IAAF wanting into the T&R for its own crimes and misdeameanors. Not least because Coe is hovering over IAAF not unlike Cookson, and both are close/friendly with Reedie. And rather like Cookson, Coe, for all his flaws, would probably be an improvement on Diack.

Reedie's no improvement.

It's actually interesting that FINA have stayed under the radar despite some disturbing history very similar to IAAF.

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site
del1962 said:
Perhaps I am misinterpreting what you said, but there where others in 1999 who where seriously doping, others had toned it down as you say.

If I remember correctly 8% out of 81 samples tested positive for EPO during the re-testing for 1999 in 2005.

People had to be further scared by what happened to Pantani at the Giro.

If Lance had been kicked out I have to think that number would go down further still.

Sep 29, 2012
dearwiggo.blogspot.com.au
Opalius said:
Still funny though. Verbruggen threatening a team director with disqualification, just for talking about doping.

In any case it is extreme abuse of power.

It also corroborates the angle LA is getting at - that cycling was reeling in 1999 and any doping talk / incidents / etc were anathema to the UCI hierarchy.

Opalius said:
In any case it is extreme abuse of power.

"The exclusion of Garzelli, who tested positive for a masking agent, wasn't a normal thing,” Squinzi told Het Laatste Nieuws at the time. “At the start nothing was found. Later, as soon as he won a stage, a forbidden substance came out all of a sudden. That's bizarre."

This give some credence to the allegations that samples were made positive. Cycling is not the only Olympic sport to have this privilege.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
DirtyWorks said:
"The exclusion of Garzelli, who tested positive for a masking agent, wasn't a normal thing,” Squinzi told Het Laatste Nieuws at the time. “At the start nothing was found. Later, as soon as he won a stage, a forbidden substance came out all of a sudden. That's bizarre."

This give some credence to the allegations that samples were made positive. Cycling is not the only Olympic sport to have this privilege.
Floyd says hi.

Heins blaming the French.

In an email to VeloNews, Verbruggen, who stepped down from his UCI presidency in 2005 but remained on as “honorary president,” said it was the French Ministry, not the UCI, that was responsible for conducting anti-doping controls at the Tour de France until 2006, and refuted Armstrong’s assertion that it was he who helped cover up a test.

“It must be very hard to cover up a positive case that was not a positive case,” Verbruggen wrote. “[Until] 2006 it was the French Ministry that was responsible for anti-doping in France with the UCI as kind of an observer. It was the Ministry that decided that [Armstrong] was not positive since they accepted his explanation (ointment). Conclusion: [the] story about cover-up is nonsense.”

A statement sent to VeloNews by Verbruggen on Tuesday examined the matter further, indicating what Verbruggen believes shows the UCI followed the proper protocol at the time.

http://velonews.competitor.com/2013...cts-regarding-armstrong-1999-positives_309665

“It should be stressed that this case was handled knowing only the facts which were apparent at that time. For example, the UCI did not know that the medical certificate handed over to Dr. Schattenberg, a member of UCI’s Anti-doping Commission, in July 1999 had been post-dated. Armstrong only admitted this during his interview with Oprah Winfrey, which was broadcast on 17 January 2013,” his release reads.

1 Hein 0 Lance.

Come on Lance. More dirt on Heinz.

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site
I've been searching for Hein on google news since Armstrong was stripped.

I've been repeatedly disappointed to only find 5-10 articles but since Lance has implicated him all of a sudden there are 500 different articles all talking about what a scumbag he is. I guess the **** is properly hitting the fan for Hein I wonder if people are sending death threats and hate mail as we speak.

webvan said:
Allegations? Didn't Heini actually boast he could do that with a flick of the wrist?

Why, yes he did! It was done in the context of the "breakaway league" threats that died down.

To be fair, cycling is not the only sport where allegations of spiking samples have occurred in the past. I don't know if the same spiking can be done under the current sample collection process. But, definitely in the past with Landis being the last visible case where it was a possibility.

thehog said:

The thing is Hein is so much better at the lies and corruption than Wonderboy. He's got a solid story for every allegation as long as he doesn't stray from it.

Hein's problems start when you look at the UCI details and it's always the case the situation as documented is **perfectly** constructed yet ridiculous.

Why hasn't anyone asked Hein if there were any ethical problems of a Team Owner running Hein's American Stock trading account? I can't think of an easier way to transfer payments to Hein.

How about asking Hein about the company that licenses "Tour of $Your_name_here"?

C'mon Wonderboy! Fight to win!

May 26, 2010
Visit site
DirtyWorks said:
The thing is Hein is so much better at the lies and corruption than Wonderboy. He's got a solid story for every allegation as long as he doesn't stray from it.

To be fair, Hein has been doing it far longer than MonkeyMouth.

DirtyWorks said:
Hein's problems start when you look at the UCI details and it's always the case the situation as documented is **perfectly** constructed yet ridiculous.

Hein's problems will be others corroborating MonkeyMouth's evidence.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
what problems can a 72 year old face...
hein can't be ousted or ostracized from anything, can't be fired, can't be jailed, can't be sued.

his reputation is the only thing on the line here, me thinks.
his rep has already reached epic depths, and only thing we can hope is that his name will be dragged through more mud.

sniper said:
hein can't be ousted or ostracized from anything, can't be fired, can't be jailed, can't be sued.

his rep has already reached epic depths, and only thing we can hope is that his name will be dragged through more mud.

and this is dawning on Lance. He's taking the fall. Which is great!

Hein even if exposed doesn't really face any consequences. Just consequential.

Lance it's all down to you buddy.

Fight!

sniper said:

Totally true. I just hope it leads to dragging more of the behind-the-scenes players like Wiesel and Johnson.

Fight on Wonderboy! Be a champion!

sniper said:

You think Hein is just hanging around the offices at UCi to drink free coffee and help the secretaries at the copy machine?

Hes still engaged and making money. He wouldn't be fighting if he wasn't.

TRENDING THREADS