• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Hell Has Frozen Over: Lance "Considering" Admitting Guilt

Page 8 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
A letter from Lance.

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2013/01/06/bernstein-a-letter-from-lance-armstrong/

Hey, folks. It’s me, Lance. How’s it going?

First, I just want to say thanks for buying all of the yellow bracelets and all the products I’ve endorsed. I really appreciate it, because it’s been, like, hundreds of millions of dollars. And thanks for not noticing or caring when the American Institute for Philanthropy reported that my foundation spent as much as $45 to raise each $100. I’m sure you understand that charity work can be expensive!

I appreciate how you believed all the misinformation about how Livestrong has been raising money for cancer research, while instead has been lavishing its resources on marketing, promotions, public relations, legal fees, advertising and salaries. It has been a very successful branding effort: getting my name and logo splashed across the world, allowing me the chance to cut all kinds of personally-lucrative deals, and creatively monetizing the very idea of “hope.” We couldn’t have done it without you.

Thanks for not looking closely at the difference between livestrong.org and livestrong.com, since any money that comes through the for-profit latter is mine.

Sweet.

Anyway, I’ve spent more than a decade telling you and everyone else that I won all my races without the help of any performance-enhancing drugs, that my Tour de France titles and inspirational life story have been powered only by hard work, inspiration, belief, and my god-given abilities.

In fact, I have used every avenue available to destroy any doubters of my greatness, and anything’s available to someone with unlimited funding, the best lawyers, legions of willing protectors, iron-fisted control over cycling’s nominal governing bodies and sophisticated methods of outflanking even the most dogged drug testing.

cont...

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
Confess? At the end of the day probably not.

Among the many possible reasons for this trial balloon:

to check for possible pitfalls/matters that LA and entourage (et al) have not considered. I understand that et al reads CN etc. Seems reasonable LA is aware of our ponderings, and is grateful for the insight.

to "encourage" interested parties (PM TW HV etc) to provide assistance when requested/or at least accept his calls.

Negative possibilities: whatever action LA now takes...it may blow up in his face...as many of above posts attest.

Slight aside: Freakonomics (documentary on motivations) had a story on corruption: Observed reality/Facade vs hidden truth. Subject matter was Sumo Wrestling. Eventually two whistle blowers came forward, the Sumo association denied the stated corruption; the two men scheduled a press conference... both men died on the same day in the same hospital...JUST before the scheduled press conference.

I recon LA is playing with fire. If the big boys perceive they are vulnerable and perceive LA is a threat, then who canna know the xxxxstorm LA faces.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
johnsiviour said:
Confess? At the end of the day probably not.

Among the many possible reasons for this trial balloon:

to check for possible pitfalls/matters that LA and entourage (et al) have not considered. I understand that et al reads CN etc. Seems reasonable LA is aware of our ponderings, and is grateful for the insight.

to "encourage" interested parties (PM TW HV etc) to provide assistance when requested/or at least accept his calls.

Negative possibilities: whatever action LA now takes...it may blow up in his face...as many of above posts attest.

Slight aside: Freakonomics (documentary on motivations) had a story on corruption: Observed reality/Facade vs hidden truth. Subject matter was Sumo Wrestling. Eventually two whistle blowers came forward, the Sumo association denied the stated corruption; the two men scheduled a press conference... both men died on the same day in the same hospital...JUST before the scheduled press conference.

I recon LA is playing with fire. If the big boys perceive they are vulnerable and perceive LA is a threat, then who canna know the xxxxstorm LA faces.
http://www.disclose.tv/action/viewvideo/64309/Freakonomics_2010_2_4/

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
to be a really good cyclists you have to be obsessive/compulsive and a masochist, along with being extremely competitive and you wind up having no time for other people. not too surprising Lance is the way he is, and he trained harder than anybody, period
and he is the only one that hasn't thrown anybody under the buss (cowardly move by so many guilty, lying riders to try and make themselves look better)

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
CobbleStoner said:
to be a really good cyclists you have to be obsessive/compulsive and a masochist, along with being extremely competitive and you wind up having no time for other people. not too surprising Lance is the way he is, and he trained harder than anybody, period
and he is the only one that hasn't thrown anybody under the buss (cowardly move by so many guilty, lying riders to try and make themselves look better)

When did telling the truth about what happened become throwing people under the bus? All these people threw themselves under the bus by participating in the enterprise of doping.

Aug 7, 2010
Visit site
Zweistein said:
When did telling the truth about what happened become throwing people under the bus? All these people threw themselves under the bus by participating in the enterprise of doping.

This bus?
1931382611.1.zoom.jpg

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
CobbleStoner said:

No doubt he trained hard but that is as far as you should reasonably quantify his effort.

So to be an elite athlete you must abandon reasonable attitudes/actions??? I disagree. There are numerous elite athletes that do not fit your paradigm.

As for throwing people under the bus, I contend LA did that many times over. From riders to support staff to commentators. LA beat them, bullied them, broke them, abused them, stomped on them and HELD them under the bus. Sure the bus is on a different line to the one you refer to, but under the bus none-the-less.

LA truly is great! At a great many unattractive behaviours.

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
Zweistein said:
it starts when you are a little kid and you and your buddy decide to do something you are not supposed to do, you get caught, but your friend doesn't. everybody knows you don't tattle on him, you take your punishment, shut your mouth, and move on. life isn't fair. same applies here.

johnsiviour said:
So to be an elite athlete you must abandon reasonable attitudes/actions??? I disagree. There are numerous elite athletes that do not fit your paradigm.

I never said elite athletes, just top level cyclists that are capable of winning GT's, big difference. by the very nature of the training required you have to be OCD and masochist, your not going to win unless you are overly competitive. not all turn that into being a total ****** like Lance did, but I stand by the basic premise.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
CobbleStoner said:

No he didn't train harder than anybody else! He did dope harder than anybody else with the help of Ferarri, UCI and ASO.

He threw Frankie out of the sport, Simeoni out of the sport, Bassons out of the sport, tried to destroy Greg LeMond, Emma O'Reilly, Besty Andreu, David Walsh and lots of others.

If there are any cowards here it is Armstrong.

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
Benotti69 said:
No he didn't train harder than anybody else! He did dope harder than anybody else with the help of Ferarri, UCI and ASO.

He threw Frankie out of the sport, Simeoni out of the sport, Bassons out of the sport, tried to destroy Greg LeMond, Emma O'Reilly, Besty Andreu, David Walsh and lots of others.

If there are any cowards here it is Armstrong.
yes, he trained harder than everyone else, his record proves it, yes, he doped better than anyone else. destroying people that get in the way of your goals is not cool, but it isn't throwing under the bus either, two different things you are talking about.
I hate Lance, he is not a good person, he is not good for cycling, he is a coward, just like Landis, Hamilton, Levi, and the rest.
but he won 7 TdF's, and not in the non-attacking/wait for the TT way either.

Jul 19, 2009
Visit site
CobbleStoner said:
yes, he trained harder than everyone else (1), his record proves it, yes, he doped better than anyone else. destroying people that get in the way of your goals is not cool, but it isn't throwing under the bus either (2), two different things you are talking about.
I hate Lance, he is not a good person, he is not good for cycling, he is a coward, just like Landis, Hamilton, Levi, and the rest.
but he won 7 TdF's (3), and not in the non-attacking/wait for the TT way either.
(1) Assumption

(2) Lance asked the head of Bassons, Simeoni, Lemond, Clerc, and Bordry... at least.

(3) No he cheated.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
CobbleStoner said:
yes, he trained harder than everyone else, his record proves it, yes, he doped better than anyone else. destroying people that get in the way of your goals is not cool, but it isn't throwing under the bus either, two different things you are talking about.

He has no record, he has been wiped of the cycling map. Everything he has said has been lies. His training was doped more than anyone else as he had pre warning for OOC testing, UCI in his pocket. His whole career was one big dope fest. His career is not worthy of discussion in any realistic sporting sense.

To continue to think that he won TdF's shows how ridiculous your posts are.

Only the blind consider Armstrong a winner. he was the biggest loser in the history of sport.

CobbleStoner said:
yes, he trained harder than everyone else, his record proves it, yes, he doped better than anyone else.

His record - which was achieved through massive amounts of cheating - can not be used as evidence that he trained the hardest. This is such obviously faulty logic. If somebody cheats and wins a race, there's no way one can say that person won because he trained the hardest.

Even if he hadn't cheated, and still won those races, it would not signify that he trained harder than everybody else. Other factors are involved in winning rather than just training hard.

During the Lance winning/doping era, when everybody was building the myth - the hype-machine justification for all his wins was "he trains harder than everybody else". We now know that wasn't the reason for all his wins. That anybody should believe that particular part of the myth now, when so many other things about Lance have been demonstrably shown to be lies, is the mark of a Lance fan boy.

Even the way this was initially posted, "and he trained harder than anybody, period" makes it obvious that we're dealing with a Lance fan boy. Making a statement like that sound as if it's a well-known fact, when it's nothing more than a declaration based on the now-discredited myth of Lance, is a great way to undermine one's credibility.

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
CobbleStoner said:
it starts when you are a little kid and you and your buddy decide to do something you are not supposed to do, you get caught, but your friend doesn't. everybody knows you don't tattle on him, you take your punishment, shut your mouth, and move on. life isn't fair. same applies here.

By that logic, Lance did the same because even though he was doping in turned in Hamilton and Mayo for doping.

mastersracer

BANNED
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
thehog said:
Same goes for Sky.

With an equal amount of hours in each day. How does one actually train harder?

1. increased intensity per unit time.
2. since few people train 24 hours per day, vary the time/day training.

It is also wrong to suppose doping simply allows you to train harder. If doping increases your functional threshold power (for example), then you would need to train at a higher level to achieve the same training load (e.g., TSS) than you would not doping.

mastersracer said:
1. increased intensity per unit time.
2. since few people train 24 hours per day, vary the time/day training.

It is also wrong to suppose doping simply allows you to train harder. If doping increases your functional threshold power (for example), then you would need to train at a higher level to achieve the same training load (e.g., TSS) than you would not doping.

Thank-you.

More to the point is that by “training harder” doesn’t always mean an increase in “performance”. In many cases it means a decrease.

“training harder” doesn’t have a direct correlation to an increase in “performance”.

Generally it’s a way to explain doping. Recovery is key in Grand Tours.

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
CobbleStoner said:

Looks like the last intern still isn't up to speed on training. He forgot to mention the Suitcase of Courage.
Mo' blood makes you go faster. It is na' legal mon.

Mar 26, 2009
www.ciclismo-espresso.com
thehog said:
Thank-you.

More to the point is that by “training harder” doesn’t always mean an increase in “performance”. In many cases it means a decrease.

“training harder” doesn’t have a direct correlation to an increase in “performance”.

Generally it’s a way to explain doping. Recovery is key in Grand Tours.

If you follow that logic than Ivan Basso should have won all 3 GTs in the past 3 years.

Epo was used for recovery after big trainings blocks, so they could keep having big load of work for more days which would be impossible to do otherwise.