• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders He's coming home!!!! Alejandro Valverde comeback thread.

Page 166 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

What will Valverde's impact be the cycling world in 2012

• Nuclear Holocoust

Votes: 27 100.0%

• Total voters
Re:

PPAR-delta said:
I was reading Michele Ferrari's forum and noticed someone recently asked him about Valverde's longevity.

Ferrari responded "Valverde a mio parere è il più grande talento ciclistico degli ultimi 12 anni . Non ha mai esasperato i carichi di allenamento e per questo ha allungato la sua carriera."

According to google translate it means "Valverde is in my opinion the greatest cycling talent in the last 12 years. He has never exasperated the workloads and for this he has stretched his career."

Of course 12 years ago was 2005, the last TDF win by Ferrari's most infamous client. Regardless of what you think of Ferrari, it seems like pretty high praise to me. I really wish Valverde hadn't crashed out in this years tour, certainly would have made it much more interesting. Most likely would have made this years Vuelta more interesting as well.

Il dottore knows thing or two about cycling...

Re: Re:

Blanco said:
PPAR-delta said:
I was reading Michele Ferrari's forum and noticed someone recently asked him about Valverde's longevity.

Ferrari responded "Valverde a mio parere è il più grande talento ciclistico degli ultimi 12 anni . Non ha mai esasperato i carichi di allenamento e per questo ha allungato la sua carriera."

According to google translate it means "Valverde is in my opinion the greatest cycling talent in the last 12 years. He has never exasperated the workloads and for this he has stretched his career."

Of course 12 years ago was 2005, the last TDF win by Ferrari's most infamous client. Regardless of what you think of Ferrari, it seems like pretty high praise to me. I really wish Valverde hadn't crashed out in this years tour, certainly would have made it much more interesting. Most likely would have made this years Vuelta more interesting as well.

Stuff like that warms my heart.

Aug 6, 2015
Visit site

Valv.Piti said:
Blanco said:
PPAR-delta said:

Stuff like that warms my heart.
Do you really think that LA is the most talented guy that cycling ever saw?

DFA123 said:
Valv.Piti said:
There were 3 high altitude stage in the Giro. He lost 3 minutes on the big Dolomite stage, was good on the Agnello-Risoul stage and was the 2nd best rider on the stage most affected by high altitude, going over Vars, Bonette and Lombarde, only a tad worse than a flying Nibali.
I think the altitude thing is a bit of a red herring. And it's more that he tends to struggle on the very hardest multi-mountain stages, regardless of whether they are very high altitude or not. Of course, these often happen to be high altitude, so there is some correlation, but not always. For example, struggled badly on the Vuelta stage last year to Aubisque which didn't go particularly close to 2,000m - but which was a really tough ride. Just like the Dolomites stage was the hardest of last years Giro.

In which case he would probably have been fine on the Izoard and Galibier stages, because they really weren't very hard.

Vuelta 2016 is a shocking example - After all he rode for GC in three GT's in 2016 and he would be inhuman if he didn't have a bad day - It had to happen.

yaco said:
DFA123 said:
Valv.Piti said:
There were 3 high altitude stage in the Giro. He lost 3 minutes on the big Dolomite stage, was good on the Agnello-Risoul stage and was the 2nd best rider on the stage most affected by high altitude, going over Vars, Bonette and Lombarde, only a tad worse than a flying Nibali.
I think the altitude thing is a bit of a red herring. And it's more that he tends to struggle on the very hardest multi-mountain stages, regardless of whether they are very high altitude or not. Of course, these often happen to be high altitude, so there is some correlation, but not always. For example, struggled badly on the Vuelta stage last year to Aubisque which didn't go particularly close to 2,000m - but which was a really tough ride. Just like the Dolomites stage was the hardest of last years Giro.

In which case he would probably have been fine on the Izoard and Galibier stages, because they really weren't very hard.

Vuelta 2016 is a shocking example - After all he rode for GC in three GT's in 2016 and he would be inhuman if he didn't have a bad day - It had to happen.
And it happened on the hardest mountain stage, not on Covadonga, nor Pena Cabarga, nor Aitana nor Formigal. As usual, he struggled most on the hardest stage. Which is the whole point that seemed to go over your head. :rolleyes: He struggles on the very hardest stages, nearly always has done, altitude or not.

I like Valverde's new profile picture that he posted today:

https://twitter.com/alejanvalverde/status/900012121420955649

Tough to tell from that pic how much muscle loss he experienced in the injured leg. From the other image he posted this morning it seems like the knee is pretty swollen still, but who knows...(his doctor, I guess).

https://twitter.com/alejanvalverde/status/899923903111409664

From a sporting perspective, the idea of him racing in China seems silly, but maybe a return to competition in 2017 is a legit goal and motivating factor. Can't imagine the team would let him race in the Orient if the knee isn't adequately healed, and Valverde gives the impression of being very calculating himself. So maybe it's a real possibility!

I hope his recovery is going well and that he can return to a good level next year. I was so 'blah' about the Tour w/o him and not seeing him racing the Vuelta sucks.

Aug 6, 2015
Visit site
Re:

KyoGrey said:
From Pecoriano, Spanish forums

https://www.facebook.com/zonacyclingcom/videos/1636098336424141/?hc_ref=ARSBUgfRGIJJyjDp4E4TDo5Skjv_mYZaSzrZuYlZQSlrKqCwur7eRXYq8uDBfFCGpYI&pnref=story

This man is just incredible. 37 years old, literally destroys, shatters into pieces his knee and leg in a July crash. Recuperation schedule for mid-2018.

It's August 25 and he is riding at 50 km/h again.
What a beast!! He is very similar to ronaldo. He is so talented but he is even more a dedicated guy.

portugal11 said:
KyoGrey said:
From Pecoriano, Spanish forums

https://www.facebook.com/zonacyclingcom/videos/1636098336424141/?hc_ref=ARSBUgfRGIJJyjDp4E4TDo5Skjv_mYZaSzrZuYlZQSlrKqCwur7eRXYq8uDBfFCGpYI&pnref=story

This man is just incredible. 37 years old, literally destroys, shatters into pieces his knee and leg in a July crash. Recuperation schedule for mid-2018.

It's August 25 and he is riding at 50 km/h again.
What a beast!! He is very similar to ronaldo. He is so talented but he is even more a dedicated guy.
Ronaldo? Please...

Sep 3, 2017
Visit site
please Valverde rest till the new season , you will be 38, lbl will likely go do dan martin but you will be very important for movistar at letour of course he will not win

Sep 3, 2017
Visit site
so it's really courious that dottor Ferrari think that Valverde is the best talent of the last 12 years because he think that training too hard will shorthen cyclist career , interesting so if it true that Froome has done 3000 km in the 26 days between tour and vuelta and keep doing it every year his carrer will fade very quickly very different from Valverde

That would indeed be nice. And if everything goes well with his recovery and Porte doesn't feel the need to be in super-dominant top shape, he might even go for the victory (with emphasis on might).

With Porte's season in mind, it seems likely that he, too, will target it, though.

Re:

Zinoviev Letter said:
The big question to start with is whether or not he's going to be at his best already by the Ardennes or if he will need more time. I quite like the TDU but joking aside we all know it's of no importance to Valverde's career.

But it will be hugely important to him if he could win a stage. Just remember his reaction from his stage victory in 2012 - his first win after the suspension. A similar reaction might come this time, should he be good enough to win something.