• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders He's coming home!!!! Alejandro Valverde comeback thread.

Page 185 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

What will Valverde's impact be the cycling world in 2012

• Nuclear Holocoust

Votes: 27 100.0%

• Total voters
Re: Re:

tobydawq said:
Valv.Piti said:
I won't hold my breath for Strade, especially now that he apparently got a little sick. Im perfectly fine with him not going to race it.

Flanders, I don't know. While it obviously would be amazing to see him in the greatest bike race on earth (yes, Ronde van Vlaanderen is just that), I fear crashes. And I think he does as well.... would be a little too nerve wrecking for me with the Ardennes coming up, haha. But I think he could do very well, he has become a better rouleur with age (and better climber lmao).

I think he will participate in Strade. Otherwise, I don't see why Movistar haven't announced their team yet.

I think he wants, but isn't sure 100%, and Unzue is convincing him not to participate because of his illness, cold weather, and because he wants to have Valverde with as less racing days as possible before the Tour/Vuelta/Worlds combo.

Blanco said:
tobydawq said:
Valv.Piti said:
I won't hold my breath for Strade, especially now that he apparently got a little sick. Im perfectly fine with him not going to race it.

Flanders, I don't know. While it obviously would be amazing to see him in the greatest bike race on earth (yes, Ronde van Vlaanderen is just that), I fear crashes. And I think he does as well.... would be a little too nerve wrecking for me with the Ardennes coming up, haha. But I think he could do very well, he has become a better rouleur with age (and better climber lmao).

I think he will participate in Strade. Otherwise, I don't see why Movistar haven't announced their team yet.

I think he wants, but isn't sure 100%, and Unzue is convincing him not to participate because of his illness, cold weather, and because he wants to have Valverde with as less racing days as possible before the Tour/Vuelta/Worlds combo.

This wouldn't shock me at all. I'm sure they'd love to figure out how to get him to the Worlds and Lombardia with closer to 85 race days instead of 90 plus race days. We all know he wants to race as much as he can which is more than most top riders to start with.

Personally with him being sick I'd rather he not race, esp with the cold and rain and snow which could end up making him sicker.

Re:

Valv.Piti said:

I understand the mixed feelings on him racing Flanders. I think he could podium there, but it would definitely be dangerous. I think you're right we'd end up not being able to enjoy the race as we'd be worried and nervous the entire time. If we can't retire to Europe (Spain specifically, which is our hope) I am going to spend the entire month of April in Europe eventually so I can go to Flanders, Paris-Roubiax, and the Ardennes.

Apparently Mr Unzue was a guest on a radio program in Spain (a sports radio show) and said that yes Valverde wants to go to Strade Bianche and that Valverde has expressed interest in the Giro and apparently racing all 3 GTs again this year. Apparently not racing for half a year he thinks can do all 3 GTs again and then still be in good shape to win the Worlds. I'm thinking maybe a few of us need to go talk some sense into him.

Re:

Koronin said:
Apparently Mr Unzue was a guest on a radio program in Spain (a sports radio show) and said that yes Valverde wants to go to Strade Bianche and that Valverde has expressed interest in the Giro and apparently racing all 3 GTs again this year. Apparently not racing for half a year he thinks can do all 3 GTs again and then still be in good shape to win the Worlds. I'm thinking maybe a few of us need to go talk some sense into him.

Maybe that's what he wants, but hogwash....If he's serious with himself, he has to know he'll be tired late in the season. He's been doing this for so long...I know he knows his own body. That has to just be a wish, with him realistically knowing it wouldn't be possible.

Jspear said:
Koronin said:

Maybe that's what he wants, but hogwash....If he's serious with himself, he has to know he'll be tired late in the season. He's been doing this for so long...I know he knows his own body. That has to just be a wish, with him realistically knowing it wouldn't be possible.

If he just races the Giro stage hunting and the Tour in support and stage hunting he should be better matter in the year then 2016. Though he shouldn't jeopardise the WC.

Re:

Velolover2 said:
Do he has any good results in bad weather?

If not, I think we have found his Achilles' heel. I don't know what to expect from him in Strade.
L-B-L 2015 is still one of his if not his most impressive performance/wins in his whole career, so he can definitely ride in bad weather. I don't remember how cold it actually was, but it was extremely wet and not too pleasant.

Valv.Piti said:
Velolover2 said:
Do he has any good results in bad weather?

If not, I think we have found his Achilles' heel. I don't know what to expect from him in Strade.
L-B-L 2015 is still one of his if not his most impressive performance/wins in his whole career, so he can definitely ride in bad weather. I don't remember how cold it actually was, but it was extremely wet and not too pleasant.

He can race in it. The two issues he has is he just flat out doesn't like bad weather (although I think many of us would agree with him on that, it's just our jobs don't require us to be out in the weather), and esp drastic changes in temperatures have been known to make him sick.

His Achilles' heel is high altitude esp if the race spends any length of time in high altitude.

SHAD0W93 said:
Jspear said:
Koronin said:

If he just races the Giro stage hunting and the Tour in support and stage hunting he should be better matter in the year then 2016. Though he shouldn't jeopardise the WC.

Truthfully, in this case I'm hoping the team can talk some sense into him. He needs to be ready for the Worlds this year and racing all 3 isn't the way to do that. Unless of course he intends on just going stage hunting in the Giro and Tour. However, I can't see him being able to race that way. I think the team and maybe some of his friends need to remind him he needs to be ready for this year's Worlds and not jeopardize that.

Re:

GuyIncognito said:
Not what I've read. People on twitter are quoting some dodgy sites claiming Betancur will be the only leader for the Giro with Landa+Valverde+Quintana at the Tour.

Can I get your source on the Giro thing, Koronin? Thanks!

Mr Unzue did NOT say Valverde was going to the Giro, only that he's telling the team he wants to go.
This is a radio interview (obviously in Spanish).
http://www.cope.es/audios/pamplona/eusebio-unzue-cope-navarra_468517

Koronin said:
GuyIncognito said:
Not what I've read. People on twitter are quoting some dodgy sites claiming Betancur will be the only leader for the Giro with Landa+Valverde+Quintana at the Tour.

Can I get your source on the Giro thing, Koronin? Thanks!

Mr Unzue did NOT say Valverde was going to the Giro, only that he's telling the team he wants to go.
This is a radio interview (obviously in Spanish).
http://www.cope.es/audios/pamplona/eusebio-unzue-cope-navarra_468517

Understood, thanks