Teams & Riders He's coming home!!!! Alejandro Valverde comeback thread.

Page 213 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

What will Valverde's impact be the cycling world in 2012

  • Nuclear Holocoust

    Votes: 15 100.0%

  • Total voters
    15
Re: Re:

mariposa said:
trucido said:
Valv.Piti said:
The spanish riders like Valverde, Rodriguez, Contador etc. are some of the nicest persons you probably ever will encounter. They are all top class!
https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/racing/vuelta-a-espana/punch-ups-vuelta-espana-one-didnt-see-135299

Such a nice guy that Rodriguez.
The cycling news report of the incident wasn't quite so one sided and explained Rodriguez's side of the story http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/deignan-says-he-was-punched-full-in-the-face-by-rodriguez/

Personally I would believe Rodriguez every time over Deignan
Rodriguez’s side of the story was that he was gesticulating at Deignan and didn’t mean to punch him. That he hit him wasn’t really disputed.
 
Aug 21, 2011
468
0
9,280
Re: Re:

Zinoviev Letter said:
mariposa said:
trucido said:
Valv.Piti said:
The spanish riders like Valverde, Rodriguez, Contador etc. are some of the nicest persons you probably ever will encounter. They are all top class!
https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/racing/vuelta-a-espana/punch-ups-vuelta-espana-one-didnt-see-135299

Such a nice guy that Rodriguez.
The cycling news report of the incident wasn't quite so one sided and explained Rodriguez's side of the story http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/deignan-says-he-was-punched-full-in-the-face-by-rodriguez/

A bit different to a full punch in the face as reported by Deignan though.


Personally I would believe Rodriguez every time over Deignan
Rodriguez’s side of the story was that he was gesticulating at Deignan and didn’t mean to punch him. That he hit him wasn’t really disputed.
 
Re:

Valv.Piti said:
The Tour really has been perfect for Valverde so far, he has been in zero problems along the way, but his team has not been able to drop him off for various reasons on stage 5 and 6. Its fine. The weather is great and he is feeling great, the more heat the better. Of course it sucks he couldn't win today, but I don't think he is sweating it over that.

Onto Roubaix now, he should be among the best there. He most likely can go into the Alps with a defensive approach and profit from the attacks of Landa and Quintana, this could be a great Tour for Valverde.
If he had any help from his team with positioning he would have had a better shot yesterday and today, but he's fine. Not much seems to bother him at all anyway. The sunny warm weather is great for him as he thrives in that.

Next Roubaix and he should be able to do well. Go into the Alps with some time on the other favorites and just sit on wheels and let everyone else try to do something. He's in a great spot to have a very nice Tour with or without a stage win. His legs are fine and he looks good.
 
Re: Re:

mariposa said:
trucido said:
Valv.Piti said:
The spanish riders like Valverde, Rodriguez, Contador etc. are some of the nicest persons you probably ever will encounter. They are all top class!
https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/racing/vuelta-a-espana/punch-ups-vuelta-espana-one-didnt-see-135299

Such a nice guy that Rodriguez.
The cycling news report of the incident wasn't quite so one sided and explained Rodriguez's side of the story http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/deignan-says-he-was-punched-full-in-the-face-by-rodriguez/

Personally I would believe Rodriguez every time over Deignan
Personally I would buy him a drink if he punched that wise and beautiful woman! :D

Regarding Bala, well I said he needs some help from his team to win this stage, and he would've won it if he had that help. Yesterday he would took bonus sec with that help, but nevertheless Tour goes on, and he looks good... :razz:
 
I might be rather wrong with my prediction that Valverde didn't have much chance of a podium or winning Tour. A great start to the race for him, with no problems so far, and significantly problems for Quintana. The alps might be ridden quite defensively, with Sky looking to protect Thomas' lead; I doubt that Froome and Quintana will try for far out attacks until the Pyrenees. If TJVG is able to hang on for a while then BMC may not attack much in the alps either. And Valverde might be in an even better position after stage 9.
 
Re:

gregrowlerson said:
I might be rather wrong with my prediction that Valverde didn't have much chance of a podium or winning Tour. A great start to the race for him, with no problems so far, and significantly problems for Quintana. The alps might be ridden quite defensively, with Sky looking to protect Thomas' lead; I doubt that Froome and Quintana will try for far out attacks until the Pyrenees. If TJVG is able to hang on for a while then BMC may not attack much in the alps either. And Valverde might be in an even better position after stage 9.

It's going to depend on how the rest of the Tour is ridden, but I agree he has a chance.

Blanco, I totally agree with you. If he'd have had any help the last two days he'd have won today and been in the top 3 yesterday without question. He's riding this Tour with no help at all.
 
Actually Valverde making the front group during the echelons possibly saved other GC contenders from big losses. Valverde in the second group with Landa and Wuintana then Sky and BMC continue to drive the echelon.
 
Re: Re:

Koronin said:
gregrowlerson said:
I might be rather wrong with my prediction that Valverde didn't have much chance of a podium or winning Tour. A great start to the race for him, with no problems so far, and significantly problems for Quintana. The alps might be ridden quite defensively, with Sky looking to protect Thomas' lead; I doubt that Froome and Quintana will try for far out attacks until the Pyrenees. If TJVG is able to hang on for a while then BMC may not attack much in the alps either. And Valverde might be in an even better position after stage 9.

It's going to depend on how the rest of the Tour is ridden, but I agree he has a chance.

Blanco, I totally agree with you. If he'd have had any help the last two days he'd have won today and been in the top 3 yesterday without question. He's riding this Tour with no help at all.
Did Dan have any help when he won yesterday?
 
Re: Re:

Jspear said:
Koronin said:
gregrowlerson said:
I might be rather wrong with my prediction that Valverde didn't have much chance of a podium or winning Tour. A great start to the race for him, with no problems so far, and significantly problems for Quintana. The alps might be ridden quite defensively, with Sky looking to protect Thomas' lead; I doubt that Froome and Quintana will try for far out attacks until the Pyrenees. If TJVG is able to hang on for a while then BMC may not attack much in the alps either. And Valverde might be in an even better position after stage 9.

It's going to depend on how the rest of the Tour is ridden, but I agree he has a chance.

Blanco, I totally agree with you. If he'd have had any help the last two days he'd have won today and been in the top 3 yesterday without question. He's riding this Tour with no help at all.
Did Dan have any help when he won yesterday?
Of course he did, whole team works for him, which is not the case with Valverde. He was positioned quite well yesterday, i doubt he done that on his own :rolleyes:
 
Re: Re:

Blanco said:
Jspear said:
Koronin said:
gregrowlerson said:
I might be rather wrong with my prediction that Valverde didn't have much chance of a podium or winning Tour. A great start to the race for him, with no problems so far, and significantly problems for Quintana. The alps might be ridden quite defensively, with Sky looking to protect Thomas' lead; I doubt that Froome and Quintana will try for far out attacks until the Pyrenees. If TJVG is able to hang on for a while then BMC may not attack much in the alps either. And Valverde might be in an even better position after stage 9.

It's going to depend on how the rest of the Tour is ridden, but I agree he has a chance.

Blanco, I totally agree with you. If he'd have had any help the last two days he'd have won today and been in the top 3 yesterday without question. He's riding this Tour with no help at all.
Did Dan have any help when he won yesterday?
Of course he did, whole team works for him, which is not the case with Valverde. He was positioned quite well yesterday, i doubt he done that on his own :rolleyes:
But what he did in the finale he did on his own. That was my round about way of saying Valverde could have followed him.
 
Re:

Blanco said:
No he didn't because he was 10-15 positions behind him when he attacked, because he was badly positioned and that was exactly my point!

Chapeau to Dan Martin for his ride yesterday, though...

This. He was too far out of position when Dan attacked. He could not have followed even if he wanted to because he was too far back.

Also Dan has an entire team working for him. Also AG2R although working for Bardet also made sure Latour was positioned well at the start of the final climb, thus allowing him to be able to attempt to follow Dan. Even he went Alejandro was still way too far back to even attempt to follow because he was so far out of position.
 
Re:

Blanco said:
Imperious ride today. Seems like he's hitting some really good shape, things might become interesting.. :D
When is he not in really good shape? Maybe June? He's not supposed to be hitting a peak until week 2/3 of la Vuelta and the Worlds.

Yes great ride and he's still a very marked rider by pretty much everyone. They won't let a 38 year old have any chance to get away.
 
Re:

Valv.Piti said:
Yeah, super strong ride, but he would have benefited from a harder race. But to be honest Im just glad he didnt crash so I can see him in the mountains.
Favourite number one to win in Tuesday.

He was also being marked by everyone. How many 38 years are marked by the entire peloton? A great testament to how good he is and how much respect he has.

Agreed, I'm also glad he didn't crash and is going to be good going into the mountains.
 
Re:

Valv.Piti said:
Yeah, super strong ride, but he would have benefited from a harder race. But to be honest Im just glad he didnt crash so I can see him in the mountains.
Favourite number one to win in Tuesday.



Eeh I honestly don't think there is any way around a breakaway win tomorrow, speed will only increase on the last mountain most likely and I don't expect any fireworks.
 
Sure, the break is more likely than Valverde to win, but the break is more likely to win than any single rider anyways. There is not any one rider more probable than Valverde to win tomorrow, altho chances are he won't as this is cycling and you have +100 outcomes (realistically, lets say 30-40) opposed to football with 3 outcomes or basketball with 2.
 
Interesting to see a lot of people favoring Valverde for the next stage. Is this based on the expection that the GC riders won`t go all out tomorrow because of the following stages or the actual ability of Valverde to outclimb Quintana, Froome, Landa and Nibali?
I can definitely see the case for Valverde in a group sprint of 5-15 riders but I don`t think he will be able to follow the very best if they go all out on the last two climbs.
 
skippo12 said:
Interesting to see a lot of people favoring Valverde for the next stage. Is this based on the expection that the GC riders won`t go all out tomorrow because of the following stages or the actual ability of Valverde to outclimb Quintana, Froome, Landa and Nibali?
I can definitely see the case for Valverde in a group sprint of 5-15 riders but I don`t think he will be able to follow the very best if they go all out on the last two climbs.
The question is will he be allowed to go or will he be told to hold Nairo's hand down the mountains?
 
cantpedal said:
skippo12 said:
Interesting to see a lot of people favoring Valverde for the next stage. Is this based on the expection that the GC riders won`t go all out tomorrow because of the following stages or the actual ability of Valverde to outclimb Quintana, Froome, Landa and Nibali?
I can definitely see the case for Valverde in a group sprint of 5-15 riders but I don`t think he will be able to follow the very best if they go all out on the last two climbs.
The question is will he be allowed to go or will he be told to hold Nairo's hand down the mountains?
If Nibali goes, he'll have to go to cover Nibali.
 
skippo12 said:
Interesting to see a lot of people favoring Valverde for the next stage. Is this based on the expection that the GC riders won`t go all out tomorrow because of the following stages or the actual ability of Valverde to outclimb Quintana, Froome, Landa and Nibali?
I can definitely see the case for Valverde in a group sprint of 5-15 riders but I don`t think he will be able to follow the very best if they go all out on the last two climbs.
This is based on the fact that he could hang on with the best climbers almost all the time, then it is based on the fact that even if he drops a little he could use his excellent descending skills to come back, and then finally it is based on the fact that he can out sprint anybody who will be in that leading group.

Of course, we could see a solo rider win, or some late attack in the last 1-2km, but if a small group arrives at the finish my bet is that Valverde will be there and he will win that sprint.
 
Blanco said:
skippo12 said:
Interesting to see a lot of people favoring Valverde for the next stage. Is this based on the expection that the GC riders won`t go all out tomorrow because of the following stages or the actual ability of Valverde to outclimb Quintana, Froome, Landa and Nibali?
I can definitely see the case for Valverde in a group sprint of 5-15 riders but I don`t think he will be able to follow the very best if they go all out on the last two climbs.
This is based on the fact that he could hang on with the best climbers almost all the time, then it is based on the fact that even if he drops a little he could use his excellent descending skills to come back, and then finally it is based on the fact that he can out sprint anybody who will be in that leading group.

Of course, we could see a solo rider win, or some late attack in the last 1-2km, but if a small group arrives at the finish my bet is that Valverde will be there and he will win that sprint.
The key word is almost...he was very good in the mountains but more often than not he wasn`t on Froomes, Quintanas or Nibalis level in the GTs. I agree that his sprinting ability will most likely net him a stage win but I don`t think it will be today.
I expect him to win stage 14 if the break isn`t taking it.
 
True. Smaller the group is, better for Valverde, it's easier to control. But I think he'll have Landa and Nairo there to help him out. Anyway I think, if we don't have a winner from solo attack on the climb, then things go in Movistar's favor.
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS