• We're giving away a Cyclingnews water bottle! Find out more here!

He's coming home!!!! Alejandro Valverde comeback thread.

Page 227 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

What will Valverde's impact be the cycling world in 2012

• Nuclear Holocoust

Votes: 8 100.0%

• Total voters
Re:

Blanco said:
If I'm in Minguez and Valverde's place, I would try to put my riders in every break attempt (except the first one, usually the longest and the weakest), up until last Olympia ascent, trying to arrive there with relatively fresh 2-3 guys (Izagirre, Nieve, De La Cruz, for example...), and then use those guys to put everything in check for the Hell climb. Then let the old man play his thing. If he has the legs, medal is a guarantee.
That is probably Valverde’s best way of playing things, I agree. But it’s worth noting that a large majority of big one day races over the last two years have been won by riders who were in the first big attack featuring major contenders. The favourites who waited have very often just not seen the guys who went again. This is going to be very hard to control and I suspect that it will be very easy for Spain to end up with riders covering breaks who aren’t one of the strongest riders in that break.

I agree about getting someone in all but the first break and saving 2-3 riders to ensure Valverde hits the last climb in the best possible position. If all that happens and he has the legs, he's definitely got another medal, the question is can he finally get that gold.

markene2, this kit is better than some of the previous ones. The one before this was basically split in half with the red and yellow. However, in reality there is only so much you can do with those two colors.

Make of this comment what you will. Alejandro said that he's more rested coming into this Worlds than he has been for several years. He's also not been downplaying his chances as he is so good at doing and we've become accustom to hearing. He actually sounds confident.

Jun 27, 2015
I dont' undertand why valverde still doesn't have a nickname about "being the alpha species in a food chain"

Cannibal nah, Shark nah.....the MURITO EATER

The legend keeps growing. He made it look easy in the last 2km today, but anyone who has raced a bike knows how difficult and epic that was. To lead out and hold off riders who are not bad sprinters, after 6 hours of racing, is incredible.

It's a pity that my "Valverde can't win one day races that aren't controlled to the final kilometer" argument in the Nibali vs Valverde discussion is now destroyed but hey, the guy deserved it :D
Chapeau Legend

Jul 16, 2010
Gigs_98 said:
It's a pity that my "Valverde can't win one day races that aren't controlled to the final kilometer" argument in the Nibali vs Valverde discussion is now destroyed but hey, the guy deserved it :D
Chapeau Legend
Nibali was taken out by a French fan.

Legends don't cheat. And we saw zero attacks in this race, so what are you even talking about?

Gigs_98 said:
Chapeau Legend
Let's see how he goes in De Ronde. That will really test is ability as a one-day rider.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts