• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders He's coming home!!!! Alejandro Valverde comeback thread.

Page 240 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

What will Valverde's impact be the cycling world in 2012

• Nuclear Holocoust

Votes: 27 100.0%

• Total voters
Re:

Koronin said:
Pictures for the person that asked:

43681893_10213009769865165_1556375626993106944_n.jpg

43601476_10213009770945192_803249559701553152_n.jpg

43614838_10213009771745212_2667740664426397696_n.jpg

It's a shame they didn't get a bike with the bands sorted in time. I'm assuming they're doing one because the Movistar blue basically matches the top band on the jersey, so makes it easy to turn on it's side, keep the fork and headtube blue and paint the rest of the bands on the frame.

Re: Re:

King Boonen said:
Koronin said:
Pictures for the person that asked:

43681893_10213009769865165_1556375626993106944_n.jpg

43601476_10213009770945192_803249559701553152_n.jpg

43614838_10213009771745212_2667740664426397696_n.jpg

It's a shame they didn't get a bike with the bands sorted in time. I'm assuming they're doing one because the Movistar blue basically matches the top band on the jersey, so makes it easy to turn on it's side, keep the fork and headtube blue and paint the rest of the bands on the frame.

I would hope they'll get him one for next year. You're right with the top band matching the blue they use for their colors you'd think they could come up with a really cool looking bike.

Re:

Koronin said:
A transcript would be great if you can find that.

Mostly fluff questions about how it feels to wear the jersey, recognition on the streets, ceremonies, who are the main candidates for Lombardia, etc. You can guess all those questions and their respective answers.

Now, the more interesting bits:

- Knew he was throwing away any chance of winning Milano-Torino by attacking but felt he had to honor the jersey

- Next year's calendar depends on the team's approval but he'd like to do Abu Dhabi ( :rolleyes: ), Murcia, Catalunya and the Giro, skip the Tour. No mention of any other races, positive or negative. Doesn't want to retire without doing another Giro. This last part wasn't because he was speaking with italian media, he said the same to ciclismoafondo today.

Hugo Koblet said:
Hopefully they'll fix the jersey for next year as well. That light blue color really doesn't look good.

Yeah, I'm shocked the UCI allowed that. To be clear for those who may not have noticed, Movistar changed the hue of the rainbow's blue stripe to the sponsor's shade of blue

GuyIncognito said:
Koronin said:

Mostly fluff questions about how it feels to wear the jersey, recognition on the streets, ceremonies, who are the main candidates for Lombardia, etc. You can guess all those questions and their respective answers.

- Knew he was throwing away any chance of winning Milano-Torino by attacking but felt he had to honor the jersey

- Next year's calendar depends on the team's approval but he'd like to do Abu Dhabi ( :rolleyes: ), Murcia, Catalunya and the Giro, skip the Tour. No mention of any other races, positive or negative. Doesn't want to retire without doing another Giro. This last part wasn't because he was speaking with italian media, he said the same to ciclismoafondo today.

Hugo Koblet said:
Hopefully they'll fix the jersey for next year as well. That light blue color really doesn't look good.

Yeah, I'm shocked the UCI allowed that. To be clear for those who may not have noticed, Movistar changed the hue of the rainbow's blue stripe to the sponsor's shade of blue

I already know the answers to part of first set due to other comments he's made along with talking with mutual friends.

Why Abu Dhabi? I'd rather him go back to Andalucia. I doubt the team would even think of preventing him from racing Murcia as that's his home race. I think most of us would prefer he skips the Tours. He's said that before. TY for the interesting points of the interview.

GuyIncognito said:
Koronin said:

Have you found a video or a text of the interview?
I searched the Raisport website but i found only this little preview.
http://www.raisport.rai.it/dl/raiSport/media/Il-mondiale-secondo-Valverde-4b4ba391-e53a-4150-9bdf-7f9d0778ba0e.html

A bit disappointing obviously, but in hindsight theres nothing to say really. Its understandable, he is only human. Theres no doubt in my mind he would have done better without the WC win, probably finished 3rd, but no way to follow Pinot today even with an optimal prep. Everything after the Worlds was always meant to be a bonus

Re:

Brullnux said:
The curse of the raibow jersey strikes again.

Joking aside, does this WC win actually maybe take some of his motivation for training away for next year? It was the one he's always wanted, so it may mean he is now more relaxed and won't have another year long peak.
I don't think motivation has ever been a problem for him.

I simply think that how the race exploded early and this course in general aren't too well suited for Valverde.
And mostly too many distraction after the Worlds, hard to concentrate and train well after such a huge win.
Told you that his form looked to go down in Mi-To.
He'll certainly try next year, if it comes in Bergamo it's even better for him imho.

Motivation has never been a problem for him. The team's psychologist when asked specifically about motivating him, said Valverde is the easiest person on the planet to motivate. All you have to do is hand him his bike, tell him when the race starts and point him in the direction of the start line. This industry wouldn't need guys like me if everyone was as easy to motivate as him. He's said multiple times he just loves to race, so motivation isn't going to be an issue. He still loves racing and winning the WC isn't going to change that. If anything the last of the pressure on him has been removed and he is fully free to race without anymore pressure at all.

He said after today's race that he's not at all disappointed and couldn't be after the great season he's had. I'm of the opinion his head is still in the clouds from having won the WC and it's going to take some time for him to come back to earth. By the start of next year he'll be back to his normal self.

Re:

hrotha said:
So I gather the UCI hasn't hanged anyone yet for that jersey. Figures.

They had to have gotten it approved. Although I expect some tweaking of it for next year. Somehow they managed to get the UCI to approve the blue stripe being the same as their sponsors color.

As for the rainbow curse, yeah, Sagan proved it's not real. I except BalaArcoíris to get his average of 8 wins next year. (Arcoíris is the Spanish word for rainbow.)

TRENDING THREADS