• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders He's coming home!!!! Alejandro Valverde comeback thread.

Page 245 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

What will Valverde's impact be the cycling world in 2012

• Nuclear Holocoust

Votes: 27 100.0%

• Total voters
Re: Re:

Koronin said:
Angliru said:
Koronin said:
Angliru said:
rick james said:
stunning car, but reeks mid life crisis

Reeks of a love and appreciation for fine automobiles to me.

Especially a love and appreciation for sweet sports cars.

Plus he just won the wcrr. What kind of crisis or insecurity would he be having just now?

Exactly. I'd say it's a reward.

Apparently it was a weekend loan car. One of the perks of being the World champion.

mariposa said:
Koronin said:
Angliru said:
Angliru said:
rick james said:
stunning car, but reeks mid life crisis

Reeks of a love and appreciation for fine automobiles to me.

Especially a love and appreciation for sweet sports cars.

Plus he just won the wcrr. What kind of crisis or insecurity would he be having just now?

Exactly. I'd say it's a reward.

Apparently it was a weekend loan car. One of the perks of being the World champion.[/quote]

I knew he hadn't bought it. A friend said when they asked he just said it was a gift.

New sunglasses and helmet.

48085903_10216419552856833_7959508039478804480_n.jpg

Although not wearing the new helmet on all his rides as these pictures is from today while out with his U-23 and Junior teams.

47298287_10213395297103105_6574533794081013760_o.jpg

48155462_10213395303343261_3768452774216335360_o.jpg

Re:

Nirvana said:
He said that from 2021 he won't ride anymore so he means that 2020 will be his last year, nothing new considering that recently he set the end of his career at Tokyo.

He's said that he's going to race through 2021 a few times since he won the Worlds. He's also said that he's going to race the entire 2020 season and not end his career in Tokyo.

Alejandro did a video with the help of Movistar to talk about his Worlds win.
This is the You Tube video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbqEN5h-Dko&feature=youtu.be

This is a link to Movistar's facebook page as they have the video on their page with English subtitles for those who don't understand Spanish very well:
https://www.facebook.com/movistarteam/?__tn__=%2CdkCH-R-R&eid=ARCAzdAJUKwFZVGr77tWyruasMEH1LuGdmE0ixEe4Hiue2rBTh2HiI-Leuc4AzLEv9Qaf-2uFDuVMyW3&hc_ref=ARQXy3bhy8sGjUEvzEfAJQ4qAD-xfimis5sTggHzkFnJ0_pMCzT6CAl056hkr28ISq8&fref=nf&hc_location=group

Koronin said:
Nirvana said:
He said that from 2021 he won't ride anymore so he means that 2020 will be his last year, nothing new considering that recently he set the end of his career at Tokyo.

He's said that he's going to race through 2021 a few times since he won the Worlds. He's also said that he's going to race the entire 2020 season and not end his career in Tokyo.
He's seen the reception at Contador's last Vuelta. I imagine Valverde's won't be too shabby either if he announces it beforehand.

Honestly always thought it was weird when Purito retired after Rio when that Vuelta had like 124094 murito's

Red Rick said:
Koronin said:
Nirvana said:

He's seen the reception at Contador's last Vuelta. I imagine Valverde's won't be too shabby either if he announces it beforehand.

Honestly always thought it was weird when Purito retired after Rio when that Vuelta had like 124094 murito's

I never understood Purito's thought process on that either.

Koronin said:
Nirvana said:

If he said "A partir de 2021 no voy a correr mas" he means beginning from so 2021 will be the first year without racing otherwise he would have said "A la fin de 2021".
But it's not the first time he indicates 2020 as last year, i cited Tokyo because he said that he wanted to ride until Tokyo in the two interviews before Lombardia. But he can change his mind, i remember Museeuw saying after 1996 Tour that he wouldn't have returned to the Tour anymore and at the end the following year he would have quitted with cycling but in the end he returned in France another couple of times and he rode another half decade.
Well a bit probably he already changed his mind, i remember some interviews early this year in which he said he was unsure about continuing beyond 2019.

Nirvana said:
Koronin said:
Nirvana said:

If he said "A partir de 2021 no voy a correr mas" he means beginning from so 2021 will be the first year without racing otherwise he would have said "A la fin de 2021".
But it's not the first time he indicates 2020 as last year, i cited Tokyo because he said that he wanted to ride until Tokyo in the two interviews before Lombardia. But he can change his mind, i remember Museeuw saying after 1996 Tour that he wouldn't have returned to the Tour anymore and at the end the following year he would have quitted with cycling but in the end he returned in France another couple of times and he rode another half decade.
Well a bit probably he already changed his mind, i remember some interviews early this year in which he said he was unsure about continuing beyond 2019.

He's said a couple of times after Lombardia that he would race 2021.

Also in a few newspapers he's quoted "En 2021 dejaré ciclista profesional"and many of the Spaniards are saying we get 3 more years. In one interview he said 2020 or 2021 would likely be his last year, and he wasn't sure. He's also been quoted as saying that as long as he's winning and having fun he's not going to retire.

Lets pump the breaks about all the retirement stuff, he has at least two more years left. I realize its posted earlier in the thread, but this will more or less be his schedule:

Mallorca (probably only the two harder classics)
Valenciana
Murcia
UAE
Strade
Sanremo
Catalunya
Dwars
Ronde
Amstel
Fleche
Liege
Giro

Burgos (I added that, he should do one race before La Vuelta and this is the natural one all things considered)
Vuelta
Worlds
Emilia (I cant imagine he he doing much more of the Italian classics before Lombardia after this heavy schedule and he also needs this)
Lombardia

Its an insanely nice schedule IMO. Had I played PCM these are pretty much the races I would want him to race. I have said several times that I really dislike the Middle East races and I enjoy watching him a lot more in Andalucia, but thats not a big deal. Paris-Nice obviously also would have been nice as he really miss that race on his palmarés, but yeah. You can't do everything and when you have the Giro later and also would do a bit more heavy a classics schedule than usual, its the right thing to do. Really looking forward to his season with this great choice of races.