He's coming home!!!! Alejandro Valverde comeback thread.

Page 252 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

What will Valverde's impact be the cycling world in 2012

  • Nuclear Holocoust

    Votes: 9 100.0%

  • Total voters
    9
Re: Re:

Koronin said:
Blanco said:
Ok, we all understood, you said it way too many times, it was a GIFT, could we please move on now?
Fine, but the comment I quoted, may be a bigger point of interest.
It's not interesting, and doesn't become more interesting because you write it three different places.

It's your interpretation that he has lost desire and nobody, seemingly, agrees with it.
 
Re: Re:

tobydawq said:
Koronin said:
Blanco said:
Ok, we all understood, you said it way too many times, it was a GIFT, could we please move on now?
Fine, but the comment I quoted, may be a bigger point of interest.
It's not interesting, and doesn't become more interesting because you write it three different places.

It's your interpretation that he has lost desire and nobody, seemingly, agrees with it.
What's your interpretation of what he means then?
 
Apr 24, 2016
8
0
2,530
alejandro might(maybe!) be 1% worse than he was last year. (he also might be pretty much as good still.)
the lack of enthusiasm/effort at races at this point in the season do not worry me at all.
actually, i think valverde peaked too early (for a longer period of time) all those years.
If this year he calculates more properly... i see him winning races in GTs and possibly (semi)classics.

What would another spanish etc-course-win add to his palmares other than a multiplier?

He has other goals this year.. and we are yet to find out
 
Re: Re:

Koronin said:
tobydawq said:
Koronin said:
Blanco said:
Ok, we all understood, you said it way too many times, it was a GIFT, could we please move on now?
Fine, but the comment I quoted, may be a bigger point of interest.
It's not interesting, and doesn't become more interesting because you write it three different places.

It's your interpretation that he has lost desire and nobody, seemingly, agrees with it.
What's your interpretation of what he means then?
I never put much weight on anything Valverde says in interviews. Especially if I didn't see the interview, because a quote may be subject to translation errors.

But even then, there is very often a big discrepancy between what he says and what he does in races. If you only judged him by his interviews (especially pre race interviews) you would think he was some sort of second tier rider who occasionally finds his moment to shine. He disproportionally often seems surprised by his presence among the best riders.

And this "I'm just glad I'm wearing the rainbow jersey here in Murcia" comment you put so much weight on really just seems like some random quote any other rider would make if he were wearing the rainbow jersey and had just lost a race in his home region. In the very next sentence he says it would of course have been even better if he had won.

And what is this "he hasn't cared to sprint multiple times this season, proving that he doesn't care" nonsense? Let's be a little more concrete, shall we?

The first race day on Mallorca, he was fourth, and it's true, he was just riding behind Bauke Mollema over the finish line. In that particular instance, it may be correct that he didn't obsess too much about getting the podium spot. But the coverage was not good and we only saw them cross the line, so we really have insufficient data to assess the situation properly.

I haven't seen the coverage of the second race, but he was 10th - and first across the line in a group of three. On day three, Wellens and Buchmann got the better of him but I have heard that was due to a technical descent and you can't fault him for not going overboard there.

Then came Valencia where he sprinted on both possible occasions. On stage 3, he was screwed by Ben Swift's awfulness, on stage 4 he made a mistake by going to the back of the group on a flatter part in the final kilometer, and that made it impossible to answer Adam Yates immediately, when he attacked.

In Murcia, he was up against four Astana riders the first day. He had to limit Bilbao's gap and given that there were no bonus seconds, that was more important than securing second place, and it makes sense that he couldn't keep Fraile and Sánchez (who are both quite fast) behind him. And yesterday he again had to do the most of the work because he needed to maintain the gap so Bilbao wouldn't get too close while still keeping enough energy to beat Sánchez in the sprint. That was an almost impossible balance to keep, and again, it's no wonder he was beaten in the sprint.

He has been a little bit unlucky, has screwed up on a few occasions but really, his team has been his biggest liability so far. They really need to step up because he obviously can't beat strong teams like the whole Astana contingent on his own unless there is an uphill finish.

In no way have I seen a rider that cares less about winning - it has just been much more difficult for him; both because his team is weak, but the other teams (especially Astana) have also stepped up massively this year in the early-season Spanish races that has usually just been Valverde's playground.
 
The audio is posted on Movistar's website under the race information. The quote is also on their website in both English and Spanish. So this is from them and their translation isn't going to mistranslate something one of their riders say.
Although it seems this quote was not from the interview, but specifically and only from Movistar's press release after.
 
Yeah, thats a very good assessment, Toby.

Lets see him on a true MTF where its not so much about tactics as it is pure strength. Then, of course, there's the Strade Bianche which he will win this year so we all can stop these discussions!

And PCS has him starting in Kuurne. No clue to why he doesnt ride Omloop instead, lol.
 
Re:

Valv.Piti said:
Yeah, thats a very good assessment, Toby.

Lets see him on a true MTF where its not so much about tactics as it is pure strength. Then, of course, there's the Strade Bianche which he will win this year so we all can stop these discussions!

And PCS has him starting in Kuurne. No clue to why he doesnt ride Omloop instead, lol.
I highly doubt he will ride it, since he's riding UAE Tour that ends just a day before Kuurne. Omloop is of course out of the question...
In fact out of the cobbled classics he'll do only Dwars and Ronde.
 
Re: Re:

Blanco said:
Valv.Piti said:
Yeah, thats a very good assessment, Toby.

Lets see him on a true MTF where its not so much about tactics as it is pure strength. Then, of course, there's the Strade Bianche which he will win this year so we all can stop these discussions!

And PCS has him starting in Kuurne. No clue to why he doesnt ride Omloop instead, lol.
I highly doubt he will ride it, since he's riding UAE Tour that ends just a day before Kuurne. Omloop is of course out of the question...
In fact out of the cobbled classics he'll do only Dwars and Ronde.
Ah yeah, I hadnt factored that in. He probably wont do it haha
 
Aug 18, 2017
982
0
0
Pascual Momparler, Spain's new elite road coach, said that the team that will compete in the World Championship in Yorkshire (United Kingdom) will have as its main axis the Murcian Alejandro Valverde, current world champion.
The coach from Castellón made this statement on Friday to the journalists in the Tour of Andalusia and highlighted the illusion that Valverde has to wear the rainbow jersey again. "It is clear that the selection will be made around Alejandro Valverde, because he is the current world champion and he is in an impressive moment of form," said Momparler.
 
Tim Booth said:
Pascual Momparler, Spain's new elite road coach, said that the team that will compete in the World Championship in Yorkshire (United Kingdom) will have as its main axis the Murcian Alejandro Valverde, current world champion.
The coach from Castellón made this statement on Friday to the journalists in the Tour of Andalusia and highlighted the illusion that Valverde has to wear the rainbow jersey again. "It is clear that the selection will be made around Alejandro Valverde, because he is the current world champion and he is in an impressive moment of form," said Momparler.

Thanks. Although this isn't exactly surprising. It's not like Spain has a ton of classics riders and even more so classics riders who can even hope to do much with this year's World's course. Plus like the previous coach, he wants Alejandro on the national team for these races.
 
Here's an interview with Alejandro (in Spanish).

https://www.maillotmag.com/afondo/entrevista-alejandro-valverde-campeon-del-mundo-y-corredor-de-movistar-team

Through Google Translate the always asked/wondered question of if he had been born northern European instead of Spanish and the classics. This is the question and the answer.

JDH: Changing the third, in the world of cycling there has always been a great debate. What would have happened if Alejandro Valverde had been born in the center of Europe instead of in Murcia?

AV: Everyone has said that I should have dedicated more to the classics and left the laps a little more aside; but I tell them, what more classics would I have won? ... If I won 5 Flechas (ndr Flecha Valona in 2006, 2014, 2015, 2016 and 2017), 4 Lieges (ndr 2006, 2008, 2015 and 2017), I have done a lot of podiums, I've also won twice in San Sebastian (2008 and 2014) and I've made a podium in the Giro de Lombardia ... I've won practically everything.

It is true that I have not been to Flanders and I could have been. But if I have not done it, it's because although I think it could be a good race for me, it also means taking more risks. And that's why I have not been. So, what more classics could he have won? If I have already surpassed Eddy Merckx in podiums, what else could I win?

I am happy with my decisions and I have not sacrificed the Grand Vueltas in which I won the Tour of Spain (2009) and made a podium in the big three. Also, although I've only made a podium in the Tour once I've been very close to doing it more times ... so I do not think I've sacrificed anything. I could have done a little more classic, but in this way I've done a little of one thing and a little of others.


(I think this goes back to his wanting to be a great all rounder. He has accomplished that.)

And one more comment about how many more years. The more he's asked the more it's sounding like he's thinking of racing through 2021. Here's is this comment through google translate of this interview. (When asked a couple weeks ago in a different interview about racing in 2021 he said "Maybe, I don't know yet. This comment is a more of I'm seriously thinking I'm racing through 2021.)

JDH: Three more years of Movistar as a sponsor ... are they three more years of Alejandro Valverde?

AV: Well maybe yes. Maybe it's three more years of Alejandro Valverde. I had signed another year but, possibly, we extended three more, the one that I have plus two, like Movistar.
 
I think he should go all-in for Lombardia this year. He's riding Vuelta, so he'll be in top form and still be relatively fresh for his standards because he won't ride the Tour. So I think this is the year for Lombardia. Aside 2013-14, he didn't showed up in top form there...
 
Re:

Blanco said:
I think he should go all-in for Lombardia this year. He's riding Vuelta, so he'll be in top form and still be relatively fresh for his standards because he won't ride the Tour. So I think this is the year for Lombardia. Aside 2013-14, he didn't showed up in top form there...
I'm with you. He'll definitely be fresh for his standards regardless of number of race days for Lombardia simply by not racing the Tour. At this point Lombardia is really the biggest thing that is missing from his palmares. I think in reality the only other race he's really gone after that he hasn't won yet is Amstel and it doesn't fit him as well as other races do.
 
In case anyone wants to read another interview with Alejandro in Spanish here's the link:
https://www.ciclismoafondo.es/competicion/entrevistas-ciclismo/articulo/alejandro-valverde-nada-me-haria-mas-feliz-que-el-mundial-pero-quiero-ganar-flandes Segments I'm posting are using google translate.

What differences do you see between the start of last season and the present?

Now I have more commitments, otherwise everything very similar, almost everything equal. Of course, now I am much calmer, with less desire for victory. Last year I came from a major injury and had unknown, now I face everything calmly, I have not won yet but I have been second, and everything will come. A little bit of pressure is always good, but obsession is not good.

(Interesting about the less desire for victory. However, I think he's mostly referring to the fact that last year he didn't know how his level was and he really needed the early win to know where he was.)

Now anyone who knows him at all is not surprised by this answer:

What do you like most and least about your profession?

Running with rain I do not like anything, but luckily it rains little in Murcia, and if it rains one day, the next day no. The rain and the cold give me laziness. What I like most is to train and enjoy the bike, go out with friends, laugh ...

I think in a way the answer to this question is a bit of why Alejandro is still racing and still really doesn't want to retire yet.

What do you think when you see runners like the Belgian Evenepoel, almost 20 years younger than you?

I feel older than them only in age, by mentality just like them because I have the same enthusiasm as young people. They have to progress and I have shown everything, now I just have to stay where I am.


There's this last one:

He is seen with an impressive tranquility. With 38 years and his track record seems to already "slips" everything.

(this is the Spanish if there is a better translation: Se le ve con una tranquilidad impresionante. Con 38 años y su palmarés parece que ya le "resbala" todo.)

Yes, in the good sense of the word it can be like that. I have already achieved everything and I want to enjoy, but I like to win, I do not want to go unnoticed, I do not know how to do that, until I retire I will go to win.
 
Re:

tobydawq said:
iVamos!

Impressive victory but why let the others slip away?
I think he was counting too much on Sunweb duo, Dumoulin is talking about overall win for days and Kelderman sprinted for bonus yesterday, so I guess he figured that they're in great shape and was counting for them to control things... Just my guess. But fortunately he reacted in the last moment and took things into his own hands/legs :)
 
Re: Re:

Blanco said:
tobydawq said:
iVamos!

Impressive victory but why let the others slip away?
I think he was counting too much on Sunweb duo, Dumoulin is talking about overall win for days and Kelderman sprinted for bonus yesterday, so I guess he figured that they're in great shape and was counting for them to control things... Just my guess. But fortunately he reacted in the last moment and took things into his own hands/legs :)
Yeah, that may be. He was sitting on their wheels already when De Plus was stringing out the peloton. And they were pretty far down in the pack, so he could have burned an important match if he had reacted instantaneously (when Roglic attacked) and his return to the front would have made people hesitate and the rest get back up.
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY