• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders He's coming home!!!! Alejandro Valverde comeback thread.

Page 267 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

What will Valverde's impact be the cycling world in 2012

• Nuclear Holocoust

Votes: 27 100.0%

• Total voters
I dont know what his role will be. I hope stage hunting at first, then going into a superdomestique role if Landa/Quintana have the legs to contend for the win. If they are not, no point in trying to help and just look for lots of breaks and that stuff instead of trying to ride a pseudo GC for himself, altho I fear thats what he is going to do until proven ohterwise.

Then again, who knows if he suddenly is flying in Route du Sud. And by that I mean quite a lot better than last year where it looked like he was put into some trouble on the MTF.

Re:

Valv.Piti said:
I dont know what his role will be. I hope stage hunting at first, then going into a superdomestique role if Landa/Quintana have the legs to contend for the win. If they are not, no point in trying to help and just look for lots of breaks and that stuff instead of trying to ride a pseudo GC for himself, altho I fear thats what he is going to do until proven ohterwise.

Then again, who knows if he suddenly is flying in Route du Sud. And by that I mean quite a lot better than last year where it looked like he was put into some trouble on the MTF.

I agree. I'd prefer him to go stage hunting. I do wonder if he'll be a little better form for Route du Sud this year simply because the National Championships are in his home region of Murcia this year. However, I agree with you, that unless he's flying in Route du Sud he should not be going after a psuedo GC.

A very typical type of stage win for Alejandro today. Nice to see him get another win in the rainbow stripes. Now he has the race leaders jersey.

64782878_457402228354492_889132103709491200_n.jpg

64840144_457402275021154_5802803771004157952_n.jpg

ice&fire said:
Best he can do at Le Tour is to take the role Amador had at the Giro and let Nairo and Mikel play their own game

Amador is headed to the Tour to fill his role.

Too much high altitude at the Tour this year for Alejandro.

He does look just a little thinner than his normal race weight, so not sure that's a good thing.

He's also talked about wanting to go stage hunting at the Tour this year.

Re: Re:

Valv.Piti said:
dastott said:
Looking very lean, another Tour podium not impossible perhaps?
The good Valverde almost looks unhealthy which obviously is a good thing in cycling. Tbh in this Tour, everything is possible, nothing can or will surprise me.
Yes, but will all that high altitude climbing in the Alpes the team will need to give him an oxygen mask for those stages.

Mayomaniac said:
Valv.Piti said:
dastott said:
The good Valverde almost looks unhealthy which obviously is a good thing in cycling. Tbh in this Tour, everything is possible, nothing can or will surprise me.
Yes, but will all that high altitude climbing in the Alpes the team will need to give him an oxygen mask for those stages.
Oh yeah.

But judged on today, he was human again, altho it was impressive to see how he fought back... I think he will stay in the GC battle and not just give up time on purpose only because so many names are absent and such, but prob wont do much GC-wise still.

Valv.Piti said:
Mayomaniac said:
Valv.Piti said:
dastott said:
Oh yeah.

But judged on today, he was human again, altho it was impressive to see how he fought back... I think he will stay in the GC battle and not just give up time on purpose only because so many names are absent and such, but prob wont do much GC-wise still.

Nibali's partner for breakaways in Le Tour.

Rollthedice said:
Valv.Piti said:
Mayomaniac said:
Valv.Piti said:
dastott said:
Oh yeah.

Nibali's partner for breakaways in Le Tour.
It's the only fight I want to watch.

Amazinmets87 said:
Velolover2 said:
He look like he has lost a lot of weight since the spring.
Agreed. Wonder if that's a good or bad sign...

He's downplayed his interest in le Tour but the race has never been more open from a GC perspective. Is there enough time for him to build decent form?
This is the type of confusion that Movistar does not need now. I don't think there is any confusion.Valverde has been cleared about it.
If Quintana is bad and Landa shows to be tired from the Giro then it will be another wasted Tour anyway.

TRENDING THREADS