• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders He's coming home!!!! Alejandro Valverde comeback thread.

Page 46 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

What will Valverde's impact be the cycling world in 2012

• Nuclear Holocoust

Votes: 27 100.0%

• Total voters
Netserk said:
About half as much as 2nd places...

Even when he wins impressively in an uncharacteristic manner we get the negative posts. You're a bit of a nit-picker. I would like to know how many riders get more victories than podiums or non placements over the course of a season.
Valverde gets a bad rap here from many on cn. I think that the b.s. about him being just as happy with 2nd and/or 3rd as an actual victory is ludicrous. The hate gets tiresome.

Netserk said:
No he didn't. He was in third or second position on a climb far from the finish, and when things started to happen, he was nowhere.

I recall he was part of small chase group with quality seasoned classic vets that got fairly close to reeling in Terpstra and ultimately finished with same time as the rest of the peloton after Terpstra's solo win. Had he not expended energy in the chase group he likely would've been in the mix for the pack sprint. Good job for his first cobbled semi-classic. Being active and playing a positive part in how the race unfolded rather than just sitting in should be lauded IMO.

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
Hugo Koblet said:
The Challenge Mallorca win was a dominant performance, though.

That was the Challenge Mallorca.

I think he will be highly regular again all season, with the difference he won't win a classic this year.

GuyIncognito said:
Maybe his quality just makes me expect too much, but so far this season he's looking like he's slightly worse, as you'd expect at this age

I thought, during the race, that if wins, he'd have to be better than last year, as he really did a lot of work today. All that work was likely to secure the podium, while having a chance at the victory. It didn't work out, but same old Valverde. He should be strong for the Ardennes again.

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
nepetalactone said:
Credit where due. Never been a fan ov Valverde, but he definitely helped make the race great yeasterday!

Agreed. Never been a fan of his at all but he earned my grudging respect for helping to make the race exciting. Hope it continues :)

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
Is that an unwritten rule? If the difference in strength is like it was in the race, it really doesn't matter at all where you start the attack. That matters only when your strength is close to the opponent's
That's also why a certain Sky rider can just ride off the front. He is simply much stronger.
-

I felt Valverde did too much work but Stybar, who didn't work much less, was simply too strong. Shame, I really want Valverde to win this race.

Feb 26, 2015
Visit site
SeriousSam said:
Is that an unwritten rule? If the difference in strength is like it was in the race, it really doesn't matter at all where you start the attack. That matters only when your strength is close to the opponent's
That's also why a certain Sky rider can just ride off the front. He is simply much stronger.
-

I felt Valverde did too much work but Stybar, who didn't work much less, was simply too strong. Shame, I really want Valverde to win this race.

Yeah, one day he is simply much stronger, the day before he was slightly weaker:rolleyes:

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
20p642.jpg

:)

Oct 18, 2009
Visit site
Spectacular Balaverde today! Nuclear Holocaust!
He was the one who initiated the echelons, then reduced the lead group and always at the front then took advantage of the hesitations and the unwillingness to work from contador and the rest. Great tactician.
I can't wait to hear what the valverde haters here have to say about him today.