• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders He's coming home!!!! Alejandro Valverde comeback thread.

Page 36 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

What will Valverde's impact be the cycling world in 2012

• Nuclear Holocoust

Votes: 27 100.0%

• Total voters
Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
trevim said:
With the rise of Quintana I think that Valverde will come to a point when he simply won't care anymore, attack like a mad men and rides to his true potential. He'll be the most entertaining rider, true to his real great talent.

That would be great to see, I've certainly enjoyed how he has ridden this year. I'm not a big fan of his, but I could grow to like him if he continues to ride like he has been. He's ridden with a lot more panache and seems to be attacking more instead of waiting for the sprint. And he's currently at a all time high in CQ points, so this kind of riding as opposed to his usual style of waiting for the sprint seems to work well for him.

I was thinking a few days ago with Quintana likely targeting the Tour next year, he might change things up and go for Giro-Vuelta. He did say he was considering the Giro early this year. That would be pretty cool to see IMO.

Angliru said:
His early stage win while riding for Quintana prior to his Vuelta ending crash, was IMO the most impressive performance of the entire Vuelta. To lead the contenders up a climb, respond to attacks and then just ride everyone off of his wheel for the stage win was amazing.

Such a shame really that Quintana crashed out as that put the pressure back onto Valverde to lead the team. Sure we would have seen more of the above if Quintana had been the one going for the overall with Valverde supporting.
Enjoyed the race though so shouldn't complain and third not a bad result for Valverde.

Valverde is only interested on his palmares. It will look amazing after few years down the road. Only those who saw him ride would know he only rode to make other riders lose, instead of taking a chance and winning a race or GT for himself. :eek:

I actually feel kind of sorry for him, and wouldn't be disappointed if he won.

The stupid ****ing thing though is him and his team thinking they could drop Gerrans on a sand dune or do him in a sprint despite all the pantsings Gerrans has dished out to Valverde recently.

cineteq said:
Valverde is only interested on his palmares. It will look amazing after few years down the road. Only those who saw him ride would know he only rode to make other riders lose, instead of taking a chance and winning a race or GT for himself. :eek:

That's really not true. He rode to win. He just has a limited sense of tactics. He's won more races over the course of his career than most of his contemporaries.

Angliru said:
That's really not true. He rode to win. He just has a limited sense of tactics. He's won more races over the course of his career than most of his contemporaries.
You confirmed nothing but what I stated before. I wouldn't have minded if Valverde or Gerrans have won if their teams would've controlled the race, like Orica did here in Montreal for Gerrans.

Van Avermaet: "It’s a pity Valverde closed the door on me, otherwise I would have been in the top three for sure"

Angliru said:

His tactic was obvious. Don't let Gerrans win and it worked. Without Gilbert chasing they would not have even got as close as they did. Having Gerrans and Valverde in the same chase group was never going to work especially with only a few other riders.

jaylew said:
Valverde did a lot of work in the chase, however. He was on the front more than anyone, bar Phil.

Phil was the like only guy at the front. piti wasn't doing much. Did a few short pulls, but that's it. Then he cut in front on Van Avermaet han thus effectively stopped him from competing for the second place. He deserve nothing that little sh*t.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts