• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders He's coming home!!!! Alejandro Valverde comeback thread.

Page 37 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

What will Valverde's impact be the cycling world in 2012

• Nuclear Holocoust

Votes: 27 100.0%

• Total voters
May 28, 2012
Visit site
Walkman said:
Phil was the like only guy at the front. piti wasn't doing much. Did a few short pulls, but that's it. Then he cut in front on Van Avermaet han thus effectively stopped him from competing for the second place. He deserve nothing that little sh*t.

Was Valverde DQ'ed or something? Van Avermaet rode a bad sprint and it was his own fault, so don't project your frustrations on Piti.

Oct 18, 2009
Visit site
Angliru said:
Some of the hate here for Valverde goes so deep that it seems to have distorted the ability to see clearly. It's pretty sad.
This.
Valverde took more pulls than the others. And he was also victim of the lack of unity within the team. He couldn't rely on Rodriguez and Moreno at the end.

Pentacycle said:
GVA reacted too late and Valv was the first on Breschels wheel. That's all there is to it, the sprint was fair.

Well, then we disagree. I think it was borderline. Not worthy of a DQ but still not fair play. Remember piti complaining on Freire for doing the same thing a few years ago.

Walkman said:
Phil was the like only guy at the front. piti wasn't doing much. Did a few short pulls, but that's it. Then he cut in front on Van Avermaet han thus effectively stopped him from competing for the second place. He deserve nothing that little sh*t.

You seriously need to go back and watch the final 6k again. I don't understand people that let their dislike or like for a rider completely cloud the facts.

jaylew said:
You seriously need to go back and watch the final 6k again. I don't understand people that let their dislike or like for a rider completely cloud the facts.

Well, I do admit that my dislike for piti sometimes makes me see things less clear. Not something I am proud to admit, but I can't deny it.

movingtarget said:
His tactic was obvious. Don't let Gerrans win and it worked. Without Gilbert chasing they would not have even got as close as they did. Having Gerrans and Valverde in the same chase group was never going to work especially with only a few other riders.

That would explain his sprinting to the line with Gerrans on his wheel.:rolleyes:

cineteq said:
You confirmed nothing but what I stated before. I wouldn't have minded if Valverde or Gerrans have won if their teams would've controlled the race, like Orica did here in Montreal for Gerrans.

Van Avermaet: "It’s a pity Valverde closed the door on me, otherwise I would have been in the top three for sure"

I'm surprised the reporters could make out what GVA was saying with his thumb in his mouth.:rolleyes: He was the only one in his group in the final stretch to the line that had a teammate. If he didn't make the podium it's his own fault.

Walkman said:
Well, I do admit that my dislike for piti sometimes makes me see things less clear. Not something I am proud to admit, but I can't deny it.

Okay, I can respect you admitting that. I used to feel the same about the Schleck brothers. Still can't stand Frank. I wish the best for Andy though. He's going through a tough time. Sorry everyone for straying off topic.

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
He only has himself to blame. I can understand being conservative at the start and perhaps someway in middle of your career to try and establish podium places. But he is coming to the end of his and has more podiums placings then he can shake a stick at. Surely another podium is not going to mean that much (or certainly less) to him now?