• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders He's coming home!!!! Alejandro Valverde comeback thread.

Page 38 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

What will Valverde's impact be the cycling world in 2012

• Nuclear Holocoust

Votes: 27 100.0%

• Total voters
Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
Nathan Hass just wrote that prior to the race Charly Wegelius drew up a plan for the race and what we saw was exactly the plan to the dot.

Oct 18, 2009
Visit site
Gloin22 said:
On more positive note he's close to beating Gilbert's record CQ points total. Only 30 off or so :p

29 to beat it, to be precise. But i'm quite sure that's the last thing he does, checking cq ranking :D But at least that gives us some consolation.

He should be now almost sure of winning the WT ranking, on the other hand.

SeriousSam said:
To think that riders like Dan Martin and Gerrans have the same number of monument victories as Valverde is just depressing.

Having a tactical brain matters. If it was just about physical talent we might as well just award races to whoever can put out the most w/kg in a lab. Gerrans and Martin aren't very similar riders, but one thing they have in common is that they are very smart. Something nobody has ever accused Valverde of.

Zinoviev Letter said:
Having a tactical brain matters. If it was just about physical talent we might as well just award races to whoever can put out the most w/kg in a lab. Gerrans and Martin aren't very similar riders, but one thing they have in common is that they are very smart. Something nobody has ever accused Valverde of.

It matters too when your name is 'just' Daniel Martin, and not Valverde.

He won't ride Beijing now that Contador also said he won't. That's good news for Rui Costa who might have a chance of winning and eventually passing Gerrans on the WT Ranking for third place. I think a second place (in Beijing's overall) will do, too.

jens_attacks said:
Will he ride giro next year, what you all think?

No, I don't think so. I think he will be at the Tour. Nothing for him at Italy and it's not exactly home for him. He will keep doing his sweet beloved race in France and then the Vuelta.

Dazed and Confused said:
Valverde should try PT, I think he could get a result.

I see. Why not. It would be one of those races [2014 Valverde] would feel tempted to attack or join an attack, wherever. And if that doesn't work, there's always his sprint to rely on. PT is a good race indeed.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
jens_attacks said:
Will he ride giro next year, what you all think?

I think he definitely should ride it. Tour-Vuelta holds nothing for him that he hasn't already accomplished at this point. Giro-Vuelta on the other hand could bring him some new found success. Plus it would work out well with Quintana targeting the Tour.

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site
graphRiderHistory.asp

Best year ever.

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
Netserk said:
More like his 4th best season ever.

1st: 2009
2nd: 2008
3rd: 2006
4th: 2014

Based on true level, i think his 2008 season was more spectaculair. In 2009 he won his only GT, true, but not in a dominant fashion. A little but 'Un-Valverde', winning no stages at all. And he was nowhere in the classics then.

Arredondo said:
Based on true level, i think his 2008 season was more spectaculair. In 2009 he won his only GT, true, but not in a dominant fashion. A little but 'Un-Valverde', winning no stages at all. And he was nowhere in the classics then.
He won Catalunya, Dauphiné, Burgos and Vuelta. Better than Liège, Daphiné and San Sebastian (and NC etc.) imo.

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
Netserk said:
He won Catalunya, Dauphiné, Burgos and Vuelta. Better than Liège, Daphiné and San Sebastian (and NC etc.) imo.

But winning Burgos was (and is) not a big achievement for a rider like Valverde. Especially not in that edition, with Tom Danielson as biggest competitor.

His 2009 season was perhaps a bit more succesful then 2008, but imo his level of 2008 was a bit higher.

He had a good season but no really big win. In the Tour he was just bad. In the third week he climbed on the level of F Schleck, Mollema and Ten Dam. Since 2009 no monument or grand tour win. I think 2015 he will start to decline.

TRENDING THREADS