• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders He's coming home!!!! Alejandro Valverde comeback thread.

Page 112 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

What will Valverde's impact be the cycling world in 2012

• Nuclear Holocoust

Votes: 27 100.0%

• Total voters
Mar 13, 2015
Visit site
Strong Tour for Bala. He put a lot of work for Quintana, shame it didn't pay off. Must admit he seemed a little bit tired to me after stages 17&18, but he finished really strong, which is a good sign for Olympics. Spain will have really good team there with him, Purito and Ion all in great shape, with such strong roleurs as Erviti and Castroviejo

Does anyone know what his plans for this season after rio are? He could even ride his third gt this year and go stage hunting at the Vuelta. Completely concentrating on classics now is of course also possible (Canadian Classics and italian fall classics maybe also oest france). I guess he won't ride san Sebastian though because of rio

Gigs_98 said:
Does anyone know what his plans for this season after rio are? He could even ride his third gt this year and go stage hunting at the Vuelta. Completely concentrating on classics now is of course also possible (Canadian Classics and italian fall classics maybe also oest france). I guess he won't ride san Sebastian though because of rio
I think hes gonna ride San sebastian.

Gigs_98 said:

If Valverde will ride the Vuelta, he will start with GC ambitions. Before the Tour it was also said he was going to hunt for stages, but he even finished relatively high in the GC. Stage hunting and leave the GC totally aside (a la Nibali) doesn't exist in his dictionary.

Valverde only goes stage-hunting once he has lost a lot of time. Otherwise he'll just try to snatch stages by winning uphill sprints.

I prefer seeing him focusing on one-day races for the rest of the season. He still needs to win Lombardia once.

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
He already said before the Tour he is likely to skip the Vuelta, because the race doesn't go to his region Murcia or the South.

It would be a wise decision. 3 GT's for a good GC is nearly impossible. And imagine his shape for Lombardia. Last year he was already tired at the end of the year, and he 'only' did 2 GT's back then.

If he skips la Vuelta and rides the Canadian classics, he can be in a good shape at Lombardia.

I've seen rumours that both say he's skipping it or riding it. I think it's most likely he'll skip. CSS + Olympics, then Canadian races, WCRR, Italian semi classics + Lombardia should be good. Some very good races to do without piling up race day's like a madman

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
Re:

Red Rick said:
I've seen rumours that both say he's skipping it or riding it. I think it's most likely he'll skip. CSS + Olympics, then Canadian races, WCRR, Italian semi classics + Lombardia should be good. Some very good races to do without piling up race day's like a madman

In Qatar? Will he even bother to go?

Yeah, that would be really stupid, riding the WCRR. For some reason I still hope he will do the Vuelta cause why the fck not. He has top-10'd the last 4 GT's, why not a fifth? And he is likely to race the Giro next year... just for the lulz. Guess he will see after Olympics. But I want to see him at Covadonga. :(

I just thought there's no such thing as Valverde missing a WCRR when he can actually ride. As for the Vuelta, the worst thing a rider can do is burn himself out, but I suppose he'll know best. Still, with almost no rest between Tour and Vuelta with CSS and Olympics, all that after the Giro, that is some serious mileage

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Re:

Arredondo said:
If Purito will not go to the Vuelta, Valverde has to.

A Vuelta without Purito and Bala is just a **** edition. It just can't be!

What? When have any of these two delivered excitement in the Vuelta? Two very conservative riders that wait for the final km in uphill finishes.

At least Rodriguez went out with a bang on his last TdF mountain stage by attacking early and gaining 3 places in GC.

Mar 13, 2015
Visit site
Re: Re:

El Pistolero said:
Arredondo said:

What? When have any of these two delivered excitement in the Vuelta? Two very conservative riders that wait for the final km in uphill finishes.

At least Rodriguez went out with a bang on his last TdF mountain stage by attacking early and gaining 3 places in GC.

These two are Vuelta trademarks. You just don't get it...

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site

Mr.White said:
El Pistolero said:
Arredondo said:

They add nothing of value to the race. If they weren't there, someone else would just place an attack a km from the line. Big deal.

El Pistolero said:
Mr.White said:
El Pistolero said:
Arredondo said:

They add nothing of value to the race. If they weren't there, someone else would just place an attack a km from the line. Big deal.

THE AUDACITY

El Pistolero said:
Arredondo said:

Purito attacked because Roman Kreuziger is threatening his GC position.
Dan Martin is the biggest loser in Stage 20 as he could have placed 7th.

TRENDING THREADS