• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders He's coming home!!!! Alejandro Valverde comeback thread.

Page 113 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

What will Valverde's impact be the cycling world in 2012

• Nuclear Holocoust

Votes: 27 100.0%

• Total voters
Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Re: Re:

Asero831 said:
El Pistolero said:
Arredondo said:
If Purito will not go to the Vuelta, Valverde has to.

A Vuelta without Purito and Bala is just a **** edition. It just can't be!

What? When have any of these two delivered excitement in the Vuelta? Two very conservative riders that wait for the final km in uphill finishes.

At least Rodriguez went out with a bang on his last TdF mountain stage by attacking early and gaining 3 places in GC.

Purito attacked because Roman Kreuziger is threatening his GC position.
Dan Martin is the biggest loser in Stage 20 as he could have placed 7th.

The reason for his attack doesn't matter, he took the race by the horns and attacked: for once in his career he took initiative instead of waiting for other people to bail him out.

I'm a notorious anti-Valverde, although I once picked him in a draft in the dark side of CN forums ;) . Until this TdF, I liked his position on a bike, not much else. Not anymore. No mas. He bent over backwards for an under-performing Quintana, sacrified his podium chances even late in the race when it was obvious that he was the strongest rider in his team. Not Quintana.

I give huge props to Don Alejandro. I'd like him to win a GDL before he takes a bow. And/or a MSR. He can do that too, split on the Poggio, great descent, small group sprint.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Tonton said:
I'm a notorious anti-Valverde, although I once picked him in a draft in the dark side of CN forums ;) . Until this TdF, I liked his position on a bike, not much else. Not anymore. No mas. He bent over backwards for an under-performing Quintana, sacrified his podium chances even late in the race when it was obvious that he was the strongest rider in his team. Not Quintana.

I give huge props to Don Alejandro. I'd like him to win a GDL before he takes a bow. And/or a MSR. He can do that too, split on the Poggio, great descent, small group sprint.

Valverde never really did much for Quintana this Tour... And he didn't have a shot at the podium ever. If he really wanted to help Quintana he wouldn't have finished in the top ten. It's pretty obvious Valverde only rides for himself. Even Nibali did more for Aru than Valverde did for Quintana. And they can't stand each other. There's no way he can win Milan-San Remo. Not even Nibali can get away on the Poggio descent. The heavier classics guys are all better descenders than Valverde. Most of them are also faster than Valverde: Degenkolb, Kristoff, Sagan, Greg van Avermaet, Swift, etc.

Even Gilbert has beaten Valverde in a sprint numerous times (Clasica San Sebastian 2015, Vuelta a Murcia 2016). He did ride Milan-San Remo this year and never attacked on the Poggio and was only 15th in the group sprint. He looks fast because the other climbers couldn't sprint if their lives depended on it.

El Pistolero said:
Tonton said:

Valverde never really did much for Quintana this Tour... And he didn't have a shot at the podium ever. If he really wanted to help Quintana he wouldn't have finished in the top ten. It's pretty obvious Valverde only rides for himself. Even Nibali did more for Aru than Valverde did for Quintana. And they can't stand each other. There's no way he can win Milan-San Remo. Not even Nibali can get away on the Poggio descent. The heavier classics guys are all better descenders than Valverde. Most of them are also faster than Valverde: Degenkolb, Kristoff, Sagan, Greg van Avermaet, Swift, etc.

Even Gilbert has beaten Valverde in a sprint numerous times (Clasica San Sebastian 2015, Vuelta a Murcia 2016). He did ride Milan-San Remo this year and never attacked on the Poggio and was only 15th in the group sprint. He looks fast because the other climbers couldn't sprint if their lives depended on it.

The week of Fleche, Amstel and Liege is best for Valverde as his record shows. He did some work for Quintana but not that much. Movistar were disappointing. Astana did more damage and even that was limited not that it helped Aru. But for his age Valverde is still doing very well but he will be lucky to make another podium in a GT unless it's the Vuelta next year.

Mar 13, 2015
Visit site
El Pistolero said:
Tonton said:

Oh my God, your hate for Valverde have no limits! :surprised:
Never really did much for Quintana!? Well, if there was no Valverde and his pulling on stage 19, Quintana wouldn't finish on the podium for instance! Guy didn't tried one single move in his own favor throughout the whole race! He pulled for Quintana on the climbs, chased on descents, tried to soften up his rivals by attacking them, making springboards, hell he was even convincing Quintana not to drop from entire race on stage 19, and later he brought him the podium. And he never really did much?!!! Nibali did more! In what world?! He worked in 1 (ONE!!!) stage for Aru in the entire race. You really are something, you know..!

And you're right for Gilbert, he has beaten Valverde in two sprints. But you forgot to mention that he was beaten by that same Valverde in the sprint at least 20-30 times

What's more, Valverde did a good bit of work for Quintana in last year's Tour, too.

People just assumed he wouldn't before the race. And saw Valverde finish on the podium so assumed he was selfish. But actually look at the races, and Valverde was working for Quintana quite a bit. This year and last year.

People see what they want to see.

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site

El Pistolero said:
Arredondo said:
If Purito will not go to the Vuelta, Valverde has to.

A Vuelta without Purito and Bala is just a **** edition. It just can't be!

What? When have any of these two delivered excitement in the Vuelta? Two very conservative riders that wait for the final km in uphill finishes.

At least Rodriguez went out with a bang on his last TdF mountain stage by attacking early and gaining 3 places in GC.

You just don't understand. They have defined the Vuelta for the past 10 years. It doesn't matter in which way (by attacking or following and sprint in the end).

Contador is part of the Vuelta history, partly because he beated an in prime Purito in 2012. An attacking rider always needs a strong competitor to put himself in the history book of a certain race. The fact he tried most of that Vuelta to drop Purito, with no avail, makes his victory even more sweater and beautiful.

If Purito was weak in that particular Vuelta, Alberto didn't need to attack like he did in the stage to Fuente De. He only did that attack because he knew he couldn't beat Purito in a 'normal' way. So thanks to the strenght of Purito, we saw one of the best attacks in modern cycling times, and it made Alberto even more legendary then he already was. Thanks to a strong competitor. Thanks to Purito.

And Valverde also was one of the biggest rivals of Aberto in his 3 Vuelta victories. It's not relevant he didn't attacked that much in his career. The way Alberto raced in his Vuelta career, and won, is influenced because of the way riders like Valverde and Purito rode.

Valverde being fat as a child stays incredible everytime I see a pic of it.
CohR-P6VUAEk6pL.jpg

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
Re:

Valv.Piti said:
The thought of just how much he could've won is depressing.

Tbh, today he was not the strongest rider at all. Purito was stronger uphill, and Mollema and Gallopin had more power on the flat. He couldn't even beat Gallopin in the sprint for 2nd place.

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site

Valv.Piti said:
Arredondo said:
Valv.Piti said:

Tbh, today he was not the strongest rider at all. Purito was stronger uphill, and Mollema and Gallopin had more power on the flat. He couldn't even beat Gallopin in the sprint for 2nd place.
No, he most likely wasn't, but its obviously more of a general comment

In cycling, you lose races on a way more consistent basis then winning them. Unless you're Eddy Merckx ;)

Arredondo said:
Valv.Piti said:
Arredondo said:
Valv.Piti said:

In cycling, you lose races on a way more consistent basis then winning them. Unless you're Eddy Merckx ;)
I hope we can agree that he should've won more, still, right?

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
Re:

PremierAndrew said:
If Valverde rode his guts out for Quintana, how did he manage to conjure up the energy to finish in the top 10 himself?

Considering Quintana appeared to be sick, either that or completely out of form, Valverde didn't have to do anything really.

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site

Valv.Piti said:
Arredondo said:
Valv.Piti said:
Arredondo said:
Valv.Piti said:

I hope we can agree that he should've won more, still, right?

Yes. Like many other top cyclists. Most of the time he lost races because his tactics are poor. But he won a lot too.

TRENDING THREADS