• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders He's coming home!!!! Alejandro Valverde comeback thread.

Page 120 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

What will Valverde's impact be the cycling world in 2012

• Nuclear Holocoust

Votes: 27 100.0%

• Total voters
joe_papp said:
do you guys think valverde can deliver a top-10 GC finish in this Vuelta? I'm dreading his cracking on some ultra hard day. Are there any high altitude days that could trip him up?
Realistically, the only thing that can keep him from a top 10 is illness or a crash. He's smart enough now to know when he's about to blow up and pace himself so as to crack but not break into a million little slivers. On paper he must be dreading Aramón Formigal, but what could really cost him a top 5 would be a cold front. But Cannondale-Drapac seem more intent on a team classification and a stage win than on Talansky's GC, and his only other rivals for that placing would be Samu Sanchez and Michelle Scarponi (and a bunch of domestiques unlikely to be let off their leash as much as Bala), who at this stage in their careers are bound to hit a rough patch themselves at some point.

joe_papp said:
do you guys think valverde can deliver a top-10 GC finish in this Vuelta? I'm dreading his cracking on some ultra hard day. Are there any high altitude days that could trip him up?
Whatever happens, I am going to applaud this man. I used to hate him with a passion, still do, but my respect has grown over these months. Like, you can put Riis' hematocrit level to shame all you want, but you don't do what Valverde has done this year just by using *insert forbidden D word*.

I wish everyone was like Valverde, doing everything for the sport he loves.

DNP-Old said:
joe_papp said:
Whatever happens, I am going to applaud this man. I used to hate him with a passion, still do, but my respect has grown over these months. Like, you can put Riis' hematocrit level to shame all you want, but you don't do what *** has done this year just by using *insert forbidden D word*.

I wish everyone was like ***, doing everything for the sport he loves.
Entertaining posts aside, that seems like a little too much of a compliment for ol' Joe here, but I'm sure he'll take it :D

Tonton said:
Considering his one-day race results, if Piti gets a podium at the Vuelta, and he can win it all, he's the Velo d'Or. By far. Not even close. Three GTs, two podiums, a top-10. Humongous...

I'd agree with that if he had won LBL or goes on to win Lombardia. But as it stands, if Froome manages to finish on the Vuelta podium after winning the Tour and olympic ITT medalist, I'd go with Froome over Bala

If Froome doesn't podium in the Vuelta and Bala does, no contest, Bala for velo d'or (should have got it last year too...)

My guess is that he won't podium this Vuelta
but still....can anyone else do even close to something like this in today's cycling??
I can never love Alejandro no matter how hard I try, but man, a true giant of cycling this guy is. When I think of other big guys' approach to season schedules and targets, and compare it to the Don's.....I can't help getting a picture of a giant among a bunch of opportunistic dwarves in my head.

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
DNP-Old said:
joe_papp said:
Whatever happens, I am going to applaud this man. I used to hate him with a passion, still do, but my respect has grown over these months. Like, you can put Riis' hematocrit level to shame all you want, but you don't do what Valverde has done this year just by using *insert forbidden D word*.

That's a little bit of a clincher. I bet 95% of the riders in the pro peloton do everything they can because they love their profession.

But 99% of those 95% doesn't have the same qualities and engine like Bala has. Only a few guys in the last years were also able to finish multiple GT's in a good position (Sastre, Contador) or were good from february till oktober (Purito, Nibali pre 2014 etc..)

In his press conference today, Valverde said yesterday that he deliberately eased off before La Huesera to wait for Froome, knowing for sure that he would eventually storm up and pace him to the finish. He used the time to recover a bit so that he could sprint to get on Froome's wheel.

Also, Nairo and Valverde in their interviews today both said they would like to see power meters banned from racing. Contador also was moaning that they destroy the spectacle of racing. Hopefully if enough high profile riders get behind this we could see the end of them sooner rather than later.

Re:

DFA123 said:
In his press conference today, Valverde said yesterday that he deliberately eased off before La Huesera to wait for Froome, knowing for sure that he would eventually storm up and pace him to the finish. He used the time to recover a bit so that he could sprint to get on Froome's wheel.

Also, Nairo and Valverde in their interviews today both said they would like to see power meters banned from racing. Contador also was moaning that they destroy the spectacle of racing. Hopefully if enough high profile riders get behind this we could see the end of them sooner rather than later.

Tbf Quintana himself was constantly tapping on his power meter yesterday

Re:

DFA123 said:

Very savvy tactical move by Valverde. Contador being, probably, slightly stronger could have used the same tactic and finished st.

Interesting comments. I don't know about the power meters, but if it provides better racing, Im all for it. Altho I must admit Froome storming up from behind made the climb more memorable and intriguing early on.

Mar 13, 2015
Visit site
joe_papp said:

Yeah, easily. However question is could he end up on a podium? I think Aubisque stage is going to be crucial

Re:

gunara said:
My guess is that he won't podium this Vuelta
but still....can anyone else do even close to something like this in today's cycling??
I can never love Alejandro no matter how hard I try, but man, a true giant of cycling this guy is. When I think of other big guys' approach to season schedules and targets, and compare it to the Don's.....I can't help getting a picture of a giant among a bunch of opportunistic dwarves in my head.

I agree 100% with this post. Never a fan but he has my respect. Quite amazing really in today's day and age. Aubisque will be very interesting.

Mr.White said:
joe_papp said:

Yeah, easily. However question is could he end up on a podium? I think Aubisque stage is going to be crucial
Podium would be simply stunning. I have to look over the full Vuelta course profile. I normally don't follow t.o.s. at all really, but am getting interested now b/c of Valverde. Of course, w/ Quintana leading the GC, one would assume that Valverde will turn himself inside out to help his teammate if necessary, and not really ride his own race. Still, top-10 in all three GTs would be great.

Arredondo said:
DNP-Old said:
joe_papp said:

That's a little bit of a clincher. I bet 95% of the riders in the pro peloton do everything they can because they love their profession.

But 99% of those 95% doesn't have the same qualities and engine like Bala has. Only a few guys in the last years were also able to finish multiple GT's in a good position (Sastre, Contador) or were good from february till oktober (Purito, Nibali pre 2014 etc..)
Mentality isn't talent or quality, it's determination. I'm certain no one comes close to Valverde in that case. This isn't referring to the Betancur's out there, but someone like Mollema for instance. I once read he doesn't go out for ''reconnaissance'' because those climbs can ''just be found on youtube''.

The sense I get from Valverde is that he just loves to compete and is passionate about riding and racing his bike. Many say that he isn't a "winner" which is quite a ludicrous statement. He puts in his best effort, accepts when he loses that someone was better than him that day and is happy with his result. For me he is and has been a joy to watch through out his career. His flaws make him even more of an appealing athlete.

Mar 13, 2015
Visit site
Re:

portugal11 said:
He gets so many podiums because he rides for them. That's why i will never be a fan of him, he isn't a winner

He got so many wins also (around 100). It's because he's always there at the end, no matter what race, what parcours, what competition, etc. In fact you could add number of wins of next three GC riders behind him, their total would be similar to his! That's how he rides for podiums :rolleyes:

Re:

portugal11 said:
He gets so many podiums because he rides for them. That's why i will never be a fan of him, he isn't a winner

I'm not a fan either but that's beside the point. This is about respect.

Sure he has shown timid tactics in his career but Valverde has never demonstrated the ability to win against competition like Froome and Quintana so I think what we are seeing is his absolute limit. If he attacked he would be risking the chance of a GT podium which is now staring him in the face - I am sure his team is very happy with him.

I think its pretty amazing actually. He's 36, been around since when Armstrong's USPS team was dominating, podiumed the Giro in May, rode a super strong Tour in July in support of Quintana and now in the 3rd Grand Tour of the season is the 3rd strongest rider in race. Respect is well earned.

TRENDING THREADS