• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders He's coming home!!!! Alejandro Valverde comeback thread.

Page 127 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

What will Valverde's impact be the cycling world in 2012

• Nuclear Holocoust

Votes: 27 100.0%

• Total voters
Aug 6, 2015
Visit site
Paris nice is not like these spanish stage races. It's colder, bigger climbs and a field way stronger. Paris nice is more suited to the likes of contador or porte

Re: Re:

DFA123 said:
Valv.Piti said:
Valverde can't possibly be better in Strade Bianche than he was in 2014 when he really animated the race (or 2015, can't quite remember), but yet still got comfortably beat uphill by Stybar and GVA. When you have Paris-Nice the day after and when the duel between you and Contador has gotten personal, you go all out at Paris-Nice.

Couillolle is a long, classic Alpine climb. Its not shallow, but not really steep either. Last time I saw a really good Alberto at at long climb was Mortirolo, almost 2 years ago. And when the gradient isn't steeper than it is, I see very good chances of Valverde holding Contador's wheel and hunt for bonus seconds the rest of the race. The TT also suits Valverde really well.

And then you have Porte. Possible the favourite for P-N when its all said and done anyways.
Yeah, I hope he sticks with just P-N, then Basque or Catalunya and hit the Ardennes hard. Getting three solid stage races in, while being fresh and able to put out decent power for all of them, should set him up really well for later in the season especially.

I think he definitely has a chance against Contador and Porte at P-N as well (don't forget Bardet who is possibly the favourite for me). Do you know if there are bonus seconds available there?

Ion is also a dangerous candidate. He seems to have improved his climbing abilities and his TT is a real weapon, if he stays on his bike ;)

Valv.Piti said:
Red Rick said:
I rather think Valverde rides PN to win a race he's never won before than to beat Contador. If Contador is in similar shape to last year he'll be very hard to beat.
Valverde rides to win P-N and therefore needs to beat Contador, the main rival along with Porte. But you can tell how Valverde always wants to prove himself better than Contador in every race they enter together. Cant you?

What makes you think that? He was super impressive on the stage to Nice and would probably have won the race if not for the cancellations, but was very mediocre in both the ITT and on the MTF.

Maybe in a week race. I don't think he cares in the GT's.

Mar 13, 2015
Visit site
Re:

Valv.Piti said:
Valverde can't possibly be better in Strade Bianche than he was in 2014 when he really animated the race (or 2015, can't quite remember), but yet still got comfortably beat uphill by Stybar and GVA. When you have Paris-Nice the day after and when the duel between you and Contador has gotten personal, you go all out at Paris-Nice.

Couillolle is a long, classic Alpine climb. Its not shallow, but not really steep either. Last time I saw a really good Alberto at at long climb was Mortirolo, almost 2 years ago. And when the gradient isn't steeper than it is, I see very good chances of Valverde holding Contador's wheel and hunt for bonus seconds the rest of the race. The TT also suits Valverde really well.

And then you have Porte. Possible the favourite for P-N when its all said and done anyways.

It was 2015, and yes he can be better, he can win that race on a really good day. In 2015 he just pulled too much, and paid for that at the end. He was pulling hard already 50km from the finish. 8 times out of 10 he could beat those two on a finish like that. And I think he'll ride this year, he said he really loves that race

Re:

portugal11 said:
Paris nice is not like these spanish stage races. It's colder, bigger climbs and a field way stronger. Paris nice is more suited to the likes of contador or porte
It's a bit different this year. Stage 6 is tailor-made for Valverde with a long descent followed by a short, very steep climb.

paris-nice-2017-stage-6-1484056663.png

Mar 13, 2015
Visit site
Re:

GuyIncognito said:
He's talking about getting his 100th win if he wins the overall. But even discounting the 2010 results his 100th win was last week in Murcia

What gives?

No, it was his 99th, I think he knows best. In 2010 he had 5 wins, it would be 104 if he's counting them

Mr.White said:
GuyIncognito said:
He's talking about getting his 100th win if he wins the overall. But even discounting the 2010 results his 100th win was last week in Murcia

What gives?

No, it was his 99th, I think he knows best. In 2010 he had 5 wins, it would be 104 if he's counting them

You can't have it both ways and get both the 2010 wins and the Super Besse stage from 2008.

Re:

roundabout said:
When counting wins, it's easier to have them all in one page, instead of counting each year's win separately.
http://www.cqranking.com/men/asp/gen/rider_palm.asp?riderid=5&victories=1

Mar 13, 2015
Visit site

Netserk said:
Mr.White said:
GuyIncognito said:

What gives?

You can't have it both ways and get both the 2010 wins and the Super Besse stage from 2008.

You're right, I forgot about that one...

Mar 13, 2015
Visit site
100th! He joined Greipel, Cav and Boonen in elite club of active riders who won 100 road races and more! Quite an achievement for any rider, and especially for a non-sprinter. In fact I think only about 30 riders reached that milestone in the history of cycling.

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
Congrats Bala! Good win. He will have a good 2017 (who would have thought different!).

Really interesting to see him battling against someone like Porte at PN. If Richie goes bananas like he did in Down Under, it will be something special if Valverde can follow him.

Valverde says in the CN-article that he will participate in Catalunya and therefore not Pais Vasco. I like Pais Vasco much better as a race, but I think its the right decision since Contador and Henao are pretty impossible to beat there in top shape, even for Valverde. He has much better chances against Contador and the Skybots + the rest in Catalunya which Bala dominated the last time he raced there in 2015.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Mar 13, 2015
Visit site
He's not a sprinter "only", he is of course one of the greatest classics riders of all-time, but majority of his wins came in the bunch or reduced bunch sprint, and riders like that as we know have much more opportunities for win then riders like Valverde

Re:

Mr.White said:
He's not a sprinter "only", he is of course one of the greatest classics riders of all-time, but majority of his wins came in the bunch or reduced bunch sprint, and riders like that as we know have much more opportunities for win then riders like Valverde
Yes. Boonen is obviously just not a sprinter, thats stupid to suggest which he didn't either. He simply just pointed out he himself was a much different type of rider than the 3 other active riders who had 100 victories which is totally fair.

TRENDING THREADS