• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders He's coming home!!!! Alejandro Valverde comeback thread.

Page 152 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

What will Valverde's impact be the cycling world in 2012

• Nuclear Holocoust

Votes: 27 100.0%

• Total voters
Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
Re: Re:

DFA123 said:
Arredondo said:
One thing is clear after today: na matter how good he rides during the spring, he isn's able to follow Froome (Porte) on a proper climb in France ;)
Looks like it was a tactical error as much as anything today. Perhaps he incorrectly sensed weakness in Porte and tried to attack, but just blew himself up and left him vulnerable on the steep gradients.

Now, if only he had a team-mate who can climb a bit, who he could send up the road and do the testing for him, if a similar position arose in the Tour. ;)

But who? I mean, if only there was a domestique with the capacitities of Nairo Quintana :D

But look at Porte today. He also attacked a couple of times, especially in the last km's of Chat. But he was able to continue his run. Instead of Bala. It shows to me Porte and Froome have the upper hand on Valverde in terms of real climbing. Definitely Froome (together with Quintana) has showed the past few years he's world class when it comes to proper climbing.

Aug 6, 2015
Visit site
Re:

kingjr said:
Someone said the hype train has crashed, I'll have to ask why there was a hype train in the first place, even at his best he will always struggle to follow the top climbers this time of the year.
C'mon mate... how many times I see bala's fanboys saying he would win le tour... just go back in this thread and you'll see a lot of posts with this

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site

Valv.Piti said:
Arredondo said:
One thing is clear after today: na matter how good he rides during the spring, he isn's able to follow Froome (Porte) on a proper climb in France ;)
Valverde made it hard for himself, he obviously felt really strong, but I still don't know what he was thinking..

Anyways, this is the hardest climb/stage in TdF. No worries for me!

The hardest climb in this year's TdF? Sure if you look at the overall gradient.

But last year's Giro showed Bala is vulnerable when it comes to climbing at high altitude. So i think the stages with the Galibier and mountain top finish on Izoard are also stages where he can potentially lose the race. And on La Planche the strongest climber in the race will ride away too.

portugal11 said:
kingjr said:
Someone said the hype train has crashed, I'll have to ask why there was a hype train in the first place, even at his best he will always struggle to follow the top climbers this time of the year.
C'mon mate... how many times I see bala's fanboys saying he would win le tour... just go back in this thread and you'll see a lot of posts with this
I'm a bala fanboy, too and since 2007 I've always said that one can't realistically expect more than podium and stagewin. Unless all the pieces fall perfectly into place. I don't see it happening. I'm perfectly happy with his performance today.

I don't believe for a second he did that on purpose to test himself. I think he felt good and underestimated how far there was to go and how hard it was. He made a mistake and it may well have cost him the Stage win and potentially the race win too (if he'd have won today, you never know). Clearly the elite climbers were in the first group. Wake up call for Valverde today, unfortunately.

Unbelievable poor tactics from Valverde today ...not sure what he was thinking

Could see Chaves going early as he has no form and well down
Could see Dan Martin going early as he needs to make up time and would be left off

But Valverde , just behind Porte and favourite for the stage if he crested with Froome/Porte or even just behind them
Amasing

I read somewhere (maybe ITT) that he prefers feel over power meters. That just doesnt work anymore. 10 years ago, his attack would have been answered immediately and he might have endured the power spike the best and won. Riders now realize that stable power gets them to the top the fastest and they just tow people back. Get on EPO or start riding to power like everyone else. Attack on the final 500-k and get 15 seconds, then descend like a madman. Thats how you race in 2017. Love Bala though, and his attacking style:)

Re:

Oude Geuze said:
I read somewhere (maybe ITT) that he prefers feel over power meters. That just doesnt work anymore. 10 years ago, his attack would have been answered immediately and he might have endured the power spike the best and won. Riders now realize that stable power gets them to the top the fastest and they just tow people back. Get on EPO or start riding to power like everyone else. Attack on the final 500-k and get 15 seconds, then descend like a madman. Thats how you race in 2017. Love Bala though, and his attacking style:)

Tom Dumoulin,allegedly, only relies on "feel".

Re:

DanielSong39 said:
Guys, remember that this race is an exhibition.
I don't think Valverde sees it like that. He wants to and tries to win every race he enters; I'm pretty sure his 'attacks' were genuine, if ill-advised, attempts to win the race, not just testing his legs. Perhaps he even got slightly carried away given his form this year and this stage will be a bit of a reality check that he still has to ride cautiously and limit his losses as best as possible on the hardest of mountain stages.

Valv.Piti said:
Arredondo said:
Valverde made it hard for himself, he obviously felt really strong, but I still don't know what he was thinking..

Anyways, this is the hardest climb/stage in TdF. No worries for me!
At the Tour, this stage will be 3 times as hard.
He can't afford to lose 1 or 2 minutes, he is not a rider to take back big chunks of time, just one or two handful of seconds at a time.
But I wouldn't worry either, we knew he wouldn't be at his best here, he will be much stronger at the Tour compared to Froome/Porte. IMO.

Re:

Red Rick said:
The Dauphine Libere is the only race Valvere doesn't care about winning.

He's won it before, and the one time he did the Tour afterwards he broke down in the 2nd week.

His attack a long way from the finish made no sense then. If he hadn't attacked and just followed wheels he would have won the sprint for the stage if he had hung on. So it seems he isn't interested in the stage or the race overall which doesn't sound like Valverde at all.

Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
It was great to see him on the attack and it tells about his confidence. Maybe he could've gone with the best, had he not attacked that early.
Lets not forget, Contador and him had a longer break from racing compared to Porte and Froome. Also we have to wait for today and tomorrow to make better conclusions. Everyone might have had a better or rather worse day.

As for today I can see only one winner.

Aug 6, 2015
Visit site
A pre ban valverde didn't get good results (first places) in italy... a post ban valverde can't do brilliant performances in france. Will this curse finish in le tour?

TRENDING THREADS