• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders He's coming home!!!! Alejandro Valverde comeback thread.

Page 232 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

What will Valverde's impact be the cycling world in 2012

• Nuclear Holocoust

Votes: 27 100.0%

• Total voters
Kwibus said:
Pretty much all dutch riders said in their post race interview that Valverde deserved it, despite his past. GVA also said pretty much the same.

Despite his past he is well respected. GVA also said he doesnt believe the old man is still dirty.
These are exactly the kinds of quotes that say nothing, but whatever.

Red Rick said:
Kwibus said:
Pretty much all dutch riders said in their post race interview that Valverde deserved it, despite his past. GVA also said pretty much the same.

Despite his past he is well respected. GVA also said he doesnt believe the old man is still dirty.
You dont seem overly happy that Valverde won. Brian Holm has said many times that the peloton very much likes and respects Valverde, despite the case.

Contador tweeted this yesterday: "No hay un ciclista que se merezca ganar un Mundial más que tú!!! Enhorabuena @alejanvalverde !!!"

Valv.Piti said:
Red Rick said:
Kwibus said:

You dont seem overly happy that Valverde won. Brian Holm has said many times that the peloton very much likes and respects Valverde, despite the case.

Contador tweeted this yesterday: "No hay un ciclista que se merezca ganar un Mundial más que tú!!! Enhorabuena @alejanvalverde !!!"
I should have specified. The 2nd GVA quote says nothing. I can perfectly accept that Valverde is well respected in the peloton.

Valv.Piti said:
Red Rick said:
Kwibus said:

You dont seem overly happy that Valverde won. Brian Holm has said many times that the peloton very much likes and respect Valverde.:D

Yeah, it's quite annoying to have to live with all this negativity, especially from at poster whose name is written with red letters. On the other hand, there hasn't really been anything else than negativity from that side this whole summer.

I could also have been more negative after Milan-Sanremo because Nibali wouldn't have won it without the motos but who wants to hear those things when a rider you cheer for has just won an unlikely (in Nibali's case) or an incredibly long overdue (in Valverde's case) big victory?

So many riders in the peloton are happy for Valverde. But we can't trust that to be true or what? He seems to be a very nice person, and the riders probably realise that more than the fans, which could explain why he to this day still has so much negativity surrounding him when he wins. Online, that is.

One telling point, though, was that Cyclingnews yesterday tweeted a poll where they wanted to know whom from the front three, the viewers had been cheering for. I was quite surprised that Valverde won that poll with 33% in front of Dumoulin and Woods. So he seems to be more popular than what I would have thought.

Re:

Red Rick said:
I should have specified, which I did a post later

And since when does being an admin mean I can't state my opinion.

It's just a bit grating that your opinions so rarely are positive. But the admin part probably does not have much to do with it, and I would have been annoyed by it either way, so I probably should just have not written the red letter part.

Re: Re:

Red Rick said:
Blanco said:
Red Rick said:
Valv.Piti said:
Spain also has a pretty strong team and can send Mas up the road, but yeah, Valverde seems very susceptible to get on the wrong side of the split on very aggressively ridden races (on the biggest races).
Right now I'm thinking the reverse would be better, but that won't happen.

You're right, it won't happen,
and you're wrong, it wouldn't be better.
Valverde was going downhill at the end of the Vuelta, and was one of the best climbers on one of 8 mountain stages.

Mas came out of the Vuelta a lot better. I just think Valverde is a known entity who isn't gonna win in a W/kg drag race at this point.

You were saying... :p

Red Rick said:
Kwibus said:

I dont agree, usually you can notice it when an not liked rider wins something big. You can read in between the lines that they really hate it that rider X won. I thought it was quite clear they had absolutely no problem with Valverde winning, despite his past which got mentioned every time.

Actually I was surprised since some dutch riders are quite outspoken on subjects like this, but they seemed to sincerely feel that he deserved it. From young till old.

Kwibus said:
Red Rick said:
Kwibus said:

I dont agree, usually you can notice it when an not liked rider wins something big. You can read in between the lines that they really hate it that rider X won. I thought it was quite clear they had absolutely no problem with Valverde winning, despite his past which got mentioned every time.

Actually I was surprised since some dutch riders are quite outspoken on subjects like this, but they seemed to sincerely feel that he deserved it. From young till old.

He is likable and professional. About his "past", well he is riding better after 35 and, as seems the general consensus of the riders his "past" is past time. Logical, no?

Hats off to Valverde, since the beginning of this season he was talking about the Worlds as a big objective and even with his downfall in the Tour and the last days of the Vuelta he always reminded everyone that he wanted to be 100% at the Worlds and he truly pulled it off.

Re:

Red Rick said:
Apart from being seemingly naive about riders who haven't popped up in the clinic, I have trouble seeing what's so outrageous about that article.
Just seen and read way too much of this stuff coming from Anglo and especially American media to have any kind of sympathty towards it, especially from this particular dude

I don't see a problem with that article.

He seems to be saying nothing bad about Valverde himself, just that he would've preferred someone else won simply because that would mean we wouldn't have to listen to the passive-aggressive doping comments that seem to be all over the place.

If anything the article seems to slightly take Valverde's side.

TRENDING THREADS