• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders He's coming home!!!! Alejandro Valverde comeback thread.

Page 262 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

What will Valverde's impact be the cycling world in 2012

• Nuclear Holocoust

Votes: 27 100.0%

• Total voters
A picture a friend posted from today's train training ride. Alejandro and LL Sanchez along with another member of the "Murcian grupetto".

57160402_2349803318392561_148447448572887040_n.jpg

Re:

tobydawq said:
Not good.

Outside top 50 in a race for the first time since early May 2016.

He said he just had no legs.

A very un-Valverde-like performance.

Very not good. Something just looks and feels very off with him this year. In some ways this season is actually worse than his rookie season when he didn't get a single win.

I do think this is related to winning the Rainbow jersey. He was wrong that it wouldn't change him. No it hasn't changed him as a person. It has changed him a lot as a cyclist.

Re: Re:

tobydawq said:
Red Rick said:
Fleche Wallwerde is 3 days away. Liege 7. I'm holding horses until then.

Last year he was also not as strong in the Ardennes.

He was very, very strong in Amstel, though.
Think last year he was too strong in Feb-March then instead of getting better towards Ardennes he was actually coming down a little.

Now it might be a similar thing, and this time mismanaging form makes a little sense cause he's never done Vlaanderen before.

And honestly I thought he was noticably worse last year than before 2 and it just got brushed aside cause he did win the Worlds.

Re: Re:

Red Rick said:
tobydawq said:
Red Rick said:
Fleche Wallwerde is 3 days away. Liege 7. I'm holding horses until then.

Last year he was also not as strong in the Ardennes.

He was very, very strong in Amstel, though.
Think last year he was too strong in Feb-March then instead of getting better towards Ardennes he was actually coming down a little.

Now it might be a similar thing, and this time mismanaging form makes a little sense cause he's never done Vlaanderen before.

And honestly I thought he was noticably worse last year than before 2 and it just got brushed aside cause he did win the Worlds.

Last year he had one of his best spring campaigns of his career (just a little off his 2017 Spring) and for the entire season won the 2nd most races of his entire career.

Re:

ice&fire said:
His top-10 at MSR and De Ronde make me wonder if it isn't only the legs but also the motivation.

Which is something I've said several times this year and been told I'm wrong. I still think winning the one race he wanted since he was a young child has meant his lost basically all of his motivation. He made some comment after winning the Worlds, that now he finally belongs, now he no longer has to prove anything to anyone.

Re:

yaco said:
Valverde is getting old - Not many 38 year olds are still at the top of their game - He'll still obtain another win or two for the remainder of 2019.
That, and he had a major injury in the 2nd half of 2017. I don't think he's quite been the same.

He can still have great days, but that kind of consistency for longer periods seems to be gone since then.

You could see the writing was on the wall last spring around Ardennes, even though he had been really good in the beginning of the year. Then he found a late season peak in Vuelta and Worlds, which was great. It has nothing to with that he actually won it. It is no deeper meaning behind it.

He is just getting old and cant be great in every race anymore. You lose your edge, naturally. Even Valverde. Thats why the motivation and morale to still fight may decrease in races when you know you dont have chance to win. Not because you won a race the previous year.

He just need to target races and we stop expecting him to always be there anymore, if he continues to race.

Today was odd, but for all we know he could have just felt he wasnt having a great day and took it as a training ride and preparation for the rest of the week. Save some energy. While simultaneously downplaying his chances. Maybe he wont win Fleche and LBL, but I am expecting him to be there in the finale at least. So who knows, he could still have a chance to win those although he seems to be missing that kick and acceleration this year.

The problem here is that this steep of a decline doesn't happen over night. There is a lot more to it than that. I do think winning one race, the race he always wanted has basically cost him is motivation. He said earlier this year that having the rainbow jersey he feels like he already has the leaders jersey and has already won each race he goes to.

Last year in the spring he still had his consistency until LBL. Then at the end of the year la Vuelta/Worlds he had the consistency again. Yes the high mountains of la Vuelta showed a bit of a small decline, but not even close to what we're seeing this year.

Hence why I wrote "writing was one the wall" last year, but the he still found a peak at the end of the season.

Its natural he has declined a 1-2% because of his age (it can happen fast when you are 38), and at this level that is all you need to lose to not be as competitive in every race anymore. Not because he necessarily won that race that he now rides around not caring about winning anymore. If his head and motivation was that gone, he wouldnt race anymore at all and decline would be even steeper than it is now. Because right now he is still capable of winning races and having good days, when in peak form.

With said, I think he will retire either this or next season.

Salvarani said:
Hence why I wrote "writing was one the wall" last year, but the he still found a peak at the end of the season.

Its natural he has declined a 1-2% because of his age (it can happen fast when you are 38), and at this level that is all you need to lose to not be as competitive in every race anymore. Not because he necessarily won that race that he now rides around not caring about winning anymore. If his head and motivation was that gone, he wouldnt race anymore at all and decline would be even steeper than it is now. Because right now he is still capable of winning races and having good days, when in peak form.

The problem with this is he hasn't been near a peak at all this year. He's even said he was delaying his peak and trying to get it for the Ardennes and to hold it through the Giro. Not only hasn't he peaked, he also isn't close to a peak that he was wanting to be.

There is a huge difference in how he's raced this year compared to last year. He isn't willing to risk things he was willing to risk before. It really looks like he has lost his hunger. That's gone.

Amazinmets87 said:
Odds at liege on new course?

On the course, he can win. Odds of him winning this year, exceptionally unlikely.

Koronin said:
Salvarani said:

The problem with this is he hasn't been near a peak at all this year. He's even said he was delaying his peak and trying to get it for the Ardennes and to hold it through the Giro. Not only hasn't he peaked, he also isn't close to a peak that he was wanting to be.

There is a huge difference in how he's raced this year compared to last year. He isn't willing to risk things he was willing to risk before. It really looks like he has lost his hunger. That's gone.

I have said he has lost his edge a little bit, but you could already see that last year.

I just dont think it is because he won a particular race. It is a combination of things, that could include achieving pretty much everything.

TRENDING THREADS