• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders He's coming home!!!! Alejandro Valverde comeback thread.

Page 263 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

What will Valverde's impact be the cycling world in 2012

• Nuclear Holocoust

Votes: 27 100.0%

• Total voters
Wouldn't be surprised to see him do a Contador at the Vuelta and wave to the crowds one last time and be given one last stage win :D . What is he expected to do at the Giro? Surely nothing GC wise. Is he just doming for Landa and then NQ at the Tour? Can't believe he's just lost his motivation for riding just because he's won the one race he's yearned for all his career. Soon find out this week if his mojo is still around.

Really strange year so far. He was decent in the beginning at Valenciana and UAE, then really bad at Catalunya, then did surprisingly well at De Ronde, then again disastrous at Amstel, so I just don't know what to expect tomorrow and on Sunday. Tomorrow will tell the truth, this is the race he used to win with one leg, if he's not good tomorrow then he certainly won't be good at Liege, and I'm afraid he won't be good at Il Giro too...

Re:

wheresmybrakes said:
Wouldn't be surprised to see him do a Contador at the Vuelta and wave to the crowds one last time and be given one last stage win :D . What is he expected to do at the Giro? Surely nothing GC wise. Is he just doming for Landa and then NQ at the Tour? Can't believe he's just lost his motivation for riding just because he's won the one race he's yearned for all his career. Soon find out this week if his mojo is still around.

He's not racing the Tour. He's racing the Giro (he said for Landa) then taking some time off (with the exception of racing the National Championships) then the Vuelta.

Re:

Blanco said:
Really strange year so far. He was decent in the beginning at Valenciana and UAE, then really bad at Catalunya, then did surprisingly well at De Ronde, then again disastrous at Amstel, so I just don't know what to expect tomorrow and on Sunday. Tomorrow will tell the truth, this is the race he used to win with one leg, if he's not good tomorrow then he certainly won't be good at Liege, and I'm afraid he won't be good at Il Giro too...

Agreed, the season has been really strange for him. Granted he said he was trying to delay a peak, which well that he's done as he hasn't been close to a peak, but he's still not close to one. I agree with you that if he's off tomorrow, he's going to be way off at LBL and no where at the Giro.

Re:

HelloDolly said:
FFS stop all the doom mongering

Valverde is not done yet .....why does everyone on here love to nail shut the coffin of riders
THere is still a long season to go ...and or races Valverde may have more desire to win ....like a Vuelta

But he's the world champion!!!!!! and world champions should really try and justify the wearing of such jersey.

Re: Re:

wheresmybrakes said:
HelloDolly said:

Valverde is not done yet .....why does everyone on here love to nail shut the coffin of riders
THere is still a long season to go ...and or races Valverde may have more desire to win ....like a Vuelta

But he's the world champion!!!!!! and world champions should really try and justify the wearing of such jersey.

Tell that to Phil Gilbert
Have you never heard o the curse of the rainbows ?

HelloDolly said:
wheresmybrakes said:
HelloDolly said:

What can a curse influence on in Flèche if you don't crash and arrive at the bottom of the Mur decently positioned?

As I've said winning the rainbow jersey changed him as a rider. He's lost his hunger and motivation. It's gone. This year there are times he's looked disinterested, other times he's sat up and not sprinted. He has not faught for lesser placings that he always fought for before. I don't see this changing.

Happy 39th Birthday, Alejandro.

tobydawq said:
HelloDolly said:
wheresmybrakes said:
HelloDolly said:

What can a curse influence on in Flèche if you don't crash and arrive at the bottom of the Mur decently positioned?

Pretty much this.And not the first time this year. He is still a more than decent rider but he has lost that final kick that won him a lot of races in the past. No shame at that age and to some extent expected to be honest. It had to happen sooner or later.

Re:

Koronin said:
As I've said winning the rainbow jersey changed him as a rider. He's lost his hunger and motivation. It's gone. This year there are times he's looked disinterested, other times he's sat up and not sprinted. He has not faught for lesser placings that he always fought for before. I don't see this changing.

Or the age has caught up with him... Which is muh more likely but apparently completely impossible to convince you of.

Well, if Bala wants to win some races in the future I guess he will need to ride much more smarter than his opponents, something that Gilbert does last couple of years, because I'm afraid that winning races by being the strongest guy simply isn't an option for him anymore.

tobydawq said:
Koronin said:

Or the age has caught up with him... Which is muh more likely but apparently completely impossible to convince you of.

An age related decline should not be this drastic without OTHER forces at work. Age is likely to be part of the equation but not even close to the only reason for it.

I'm surprised that he's so bad in the Ardennes but i agree with Koronin that such a decline can't be only for the age and i'm still convinced the age related decline is only the one we saw last year in the Vuelta in the only two real mountain stages at the end of the race, probably more evident this year but limited at real mountains. In Sanremo and Ronde he showed that he was there but also on Jabel Hafeet at UAE Tour he put on a strong showing and in Murcia was very good so i think that motivation could really be a factor.

Looking at World Champions reminds me what happened to Cipollini, after a stellar 2002 ended with the WC he suddenly became a shadow of his former self (IIRC he won only two stages at the Giro) but in his beloved Sanremo he showed that he had the legs riding in front all of the Poggio and then easily winning the sprint behind the attackers (look at the faces in this photo he recently posted, he was joking with the competition https://www.instagram.com/p/Bscq1lbl_Km/), i've always thougth that a performance like that wasn't possible for someone phisically done and a so sudden decline without other issues is unexplicable, the same thing that now comes to my mind looking at what's happening to Valverde.

Anyway i don't believe the rainbow jersey is cursed, i think there is a mix of factors that probably hamper some of the wearer of that jersey starting from a busy winter that can derail the preparation, but you are also the most controlled, some lost motivations, some feels the need to demonstrate they deserve that jersey and made mistakes that cost races, some feels the pressure and god knows what else.
But we still have a lot of cases of great seasons from World Champions, recently Sagan changed his charateristics putting on weight after winning the first one but he continued to win a lot (including his only two monuments) and he's crap this year after losing the jersey, Cavendish was pretty much the same, Hushovd in 2011 looked stronger than ever and in the Tour he was in yellow for a week surviving even the MTF in Super Besse in the 20 men GC riders group and then he won two mountain stages from breaks beating riders on paper stronger than him like Moncutie and Hesjedal, Evans was the same of previous years, Bettini the same, Boonen had his best season in term of wins with the Ronde among them and we can go on in the past with GTs and Monuments winners as World Champions like Lemond winning the Tour, Argentin Liege and Lombardia, Hinault Roubaix and Tour, Moser Roubaix and Lombardia, not to mention Merckx that as World Champion has won two Giros, a Tour, two Sanremo, two Liege, a Roubaix, a Ronde, a Lombardia along dozens of other races. And maybe i'm forgetting someone else.

It's the fourth time i try to post this message because i was pulled out...

February is hard to judge cause maybe Valverde is just relatively better earlier than other riders in the season.

I also think his recovery is gone a little bit, he can't be great for such long periods so when he's too good in February he pays for that later, and I think he had that in 2018 too but never before that.

Do think Valverde may go from being in contention everywhere to being out of contention everywhere quickly. His main weapon is still his sprint, but if he declines to the point that he's no longer among the best on climbs of any duration, he's in a world of trouble.

That being said, I think he was clearly better in Vlaanderen and Sanremo than he is now, so he's probably messing something up.

I don't know, it's clearly visible that he ain't got the form, but then again how the hell he managed to finish top 10 in De Ronde?!, race that doesn't suit him not even close as Fleche or Amstel, and he could even finish among the top 5 if that group after Paterberg went clear :confused: :confused: :confused:
I mean if you're not good, you can't finish RVV like that!

TRENDING THREADS