• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders He's coming home!!!! Alejandro Valverde comeback thread.

Page 279 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

What will Valverde's impact be the cycling world in 2012

• Nuclear Holocoust

Votes: 27 100.0%

• Total voters
Great stage from valverde. I'm hoping for more from alejandro, quintana is out. I'm just begging that valverde can put in a attack like he did today but from far out. Trying to destroy roglic with 50 km to go. This is the only way to win the vuelta. But please, TRY TO WIN THE VUELTA!! you already have 5045774 vuelta podiums

Great ride for Valverde, he looks as strong as he's been in years. And this is with already ridden the Tour as well.

ED9F-uXXUAEv8TQ.jpg:large

Jul 31, 2011
Visit site
Great climbing performance on today's stage by the Don, attacking early and putting nice time into Lopez and Pogacar. I dont think he can beat Roglic but hopefully a 2nd place overall is achievable.

Great ride today. Can Valverde do anything on the Worlds course? Seems way too easy for him tbh.

But he is known to keep his great form for a long time when he is in shape.

Yes the course is in my home region and like you say it doesnt have the altitude metres of climbing that would make him a main contender, its more for the classics guys like Sagan and Van Avermaet. However its not an easy course by any means and with a distance of 285km I would say Valverde is an outsider.

Valverde is riding great. Not time for a long range attack just yet. Just keep making the stages hard. That could tire out Roglic. We have seen it happen a lot in the past couple of years with riders. Going too deep every day and you might have to pay for it later.

So far Roglic looks strong, but anything could still happen.

I think you may be correct that last year he felt was his last real shot at the Worlds and he may feel this is his last real shot at getting one more Vuelta win or even getting that record breaking 7th Vuelta podium.

The Grand Tour top 10 record also looks to be taken without any trouble at all.

And if he indeed finishes second it would only be his fourth top 2 in a GT, so it's still an unusually good result for him, not factoring in his age.

In comparison, the 9th place in the Tour was only his 18th best GT GC result.

The Grand Tour top 10 record also looks to be taken without any trouble at all.

And if he indeed finishes second it would only be his fourth top 2 in a GT, so it's still an unusually good result for him, not factoring in his age.

In comparison, the 9th place in the Tour was only his 18th best GT GC result.

1 more podium in any Grand Tour and he breaks the Spanish official Grand Tour podium record that he shares with Indurain at 8 and ties Contador's unofficial record at 9.

TRENDING THREADS