• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders He's coming home!!!! Alejandro Valverde comeback thread.

Page 281 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

What will Valverde's impact be the cycling world in 2012

• Nuclear Holocoust

Votes: 27 100.0%

• Total voters
One more Vuelta podium gives him the record.
But no one will remember that. People will remember the winner and how many gt's each legend has in his palmares. No one remember how many gt's podiums indurain has but I know he won 5 tours and 2 giros. I can say the same about Hinault, Ulrrich, Pantani, etc. Legends are made of wins!! Not secondary places! Legends try hard to win, no matter what. A podium don't add nothing to valverde's legacy.

But no one will remember that. People will remember the winner and how many gt's each legend has in his palmares. No one remember how many gt's podiums indurain has but I know he won 5 tours and 2 giros. I can say the same about Hinault, Ulrrich, Pantani, etc. Legends are made of wins!! Not secondary places! Legends try hard to win, no matter what. A podium don't add nothing to valverde's legacy.

Except Valverde and his fans will. Plus it actually means something to him. His Worlds podium record means a LOT to him. He was asked a couple years ago (before he won the worlds) if he would trade in his 6 podiums for 1 Worlds win and rainbow jersey. Without hesitating he said no. He said that record means a lot to him and shows how consistent he's been over his career. He may be the only one who would answer that way, but these type of records do have a lot of meaning to him. With all the crazy records he owns, yes la Vuelta podium record AND the all-time Grand Tour top 10 record do mean a lot and do add to his legacy. You're also missing the part that he has always valued his consistency as has the team.

Reactions: joe_papp and jmdirt
I've got a kind of fetish for podiums (and top10s too) so I can proudly say I will remember that.
Heck I can't wait to update my beloved thread for the most podiums in GTs :blush:

Reactions: Koronin

1: He couldn't shed Roglic so I don't know what you would have him do.

2: That record itself is probably not that interesting but podiuming in a Grand Tour in 2003 and fricking 2019 is something that certainly will be remembered by a lot of people.

Reactions: joe_papp
If/when Valverde finish second in this Vuelta that is a huge performance by the old man. Just take a look in the “Who will win the Vuelta thread” and you’ll see a lot of posts like “Valverde is no GC contender” or “he might finish in the top 10”. For a guy his age, with no GT podium in three years and with a lot of people doubting his ability to perform at top level in the though mountains over 3 weeks this Vuelta have been a great, great achievement for Valverde.

When you start becoming a loser and finishing 3rd and 4th obviously you will say you are proud of coming 4th 10times. If he was a GT winner he would honestly have zero care for these records

Oh, come on, this isn't fourth places we're talking about, but you have proven yourself to be pretty hardcore anti-Valverde so no need for me to get too deeply into this discussion with you.

He is a Grand Tour winner, though, and there was no way he could beat Roglic in this Vuelta, and of course he cares about the result, Nibali did the same in the Giro this year, and everybody always does.

Reactions: joe_papp
Oh, come on, this isn't fourth places we're talking about, but you have proven yourself to be pretty hardcore anti-Valverde so no need for me to get too deeply into this discussion with you.

He is a Grand Tour winner, though, and there was no way he could beat Roglic in this Vuelta, and of course he cares about the result, Nibali did the same in the Giro this year, and everybody always does.
I was a fan until the stuff he has pulled this year, imagine a 40 year old with 130 wins being so petty, it wasn’t that long ago he was yelling Contador off for having a go at Quintana. That GT win was by some absolutely filthy Spanish/Italian standard bias. I’d never expect such treatment if Australia had a three week tour.

I used to like him until he went publicly against Quintana this year?

So because Quintana just let his team do the work and was too proud to admit to being on the verge of cracking, rendering all the work useless after multiple times always having the need to be captain over Valverde even though he has been inferior most times, was finally the straw that broke the camel's back for Valverde who in one comment criticised the little one, you can't be a fan of him any more and instead need to undermine his performances?

Okay.

Everyone except Contador. There is a reason all his GT podiums were Top Step. No 2nd or 3rds for him. It was win or fall over trying!

Bala is a grand racer but doesn't have 20% of the courage of Contador!

So because Quintana just let his team do the work and was too proud to admit to being on the verge of cracking, rendering all the work useless after multiple times always having the need to be captain over Valverde even though he has been inferior most times, was finally the straw that broke the camel's back for Valverde who in one comment criticised the little one, you can't be a fan of him any more and instead need to undermine his performances?

Okay.
I’ve stated several times how selfish Valverde has been for the last 5 years with his little “free role”
And “stage hunting”
Ruining the dynamics of the team and I’ve never seen him completely bury himself to a stand still for a stronger team mate once.I still
Think it’s amazing he has been riding at a high level for so long, the 2003 to 19
Is absolutely
Mental in GC riding when you consider most riders contend for 5 years. I just don’t think he is the literal God some posters on here think he is when they can’t even admit he has made mistakes in 16 years on the bike.

Reactions: wheresmybrakes
He's one of those riders that we will only miss once he's gone, like Condator, Purito etc. Taken for granted because of his consistency.

EESI1ZNWkAA611R.jpg:large