• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders He's coming home!!!! Alejandro Valverde comeback thread.

Page 301 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

What will Valverde's impact be the cycling world in 2012

• Nuclear Holocoust

Votes: 27 100.0%

• Total voters
Impressive as the record is, suppose it's the best he can do if he knows he would never be in with a chance of winning. Suppose it's better than being a dom for a team mate.

He's being a helper for Mas. His role for this Tour is to be Mas' last man standing, guide, helper, coach, teacher. Mas has said Valverde has already given him lesson #1 in how to minimize your losses 101. For the Tour a top 10 may be the best he can do, but it's also what Mas needs as he's there to help Mas improve. La Vuelta is whole other story. One other thing, if you read comments from Mas, Mas wants Valverde there with him fighting for the top 10 as well. Before the Tour Mas said he and Valverde should have good enough form that they'll both be fighting for top 10 spots.

And another top 10 is on horizon (that's 20 :oops:). Icing on the cake would be if he can somehow sneak into break on Cormet de Roselend. I have a feeling he could have some space, as no one would chase immediately. Strong teams (Jumbo, Astana) will have more important things to do, and those who will be in danger for their spots either have no teams or will be tired from previous day (Bahrain).

Reactions: perico
And another top 10 is on horizon (that's 20 :oops:). Icing on the cake would be if he can somehow sneak into break on Cormet de Roselend. I have a feeling he could have some space, as no one would chase immediately. Strong teams (Jumbo, Astana) will have more important things to do, and those who will be in danger for their spots either have no teams or will be tired from previous day (Bahrain).

I would love to see him sneak into the break, but with comments he's made I think he feels he needs to be at Mas' side for as long as he can to offer any assistance he can to Mas even if it's just advice. He seems more interested to getting Mas the highest possible place he can, than he does about his own GC placing.

This is very impressive my the old man. But what is new?
Great performance by Valverde!

It's typical Valverde. We're all looking at it as impressive because he's had an off year and he's 40. It is an impressive performance. Otherwise we'd be going, oh this is typical. On the other hand, him being right around the top 10 is typical, so there's that as well. Plus he seems to be enjoying himself more and more as the Tour has continued, which is also a good sign.

Reactions: joe_papp
When he got passed by Dumuolin in the 15th km, he simply gave up and did not tried to follow Tom's. Obviously he is tired but this is not new to him.

I would say he is the favorite for the Worlds as i do not think Fuglsang is in his top form. Plus, WvA will focus on the TT

Last edited:
So what will going to be on Sunday? First, before the Tour, his form was crap. Then during the Tour he was improving day-by-day, it looked like he perfectly timed his form for the Worlds. And then that TT happened... On top of that it could rain all day on Sunday, which is not to his favor.
Nevertheless, I'm still optimist. I think we shall see a good Bala on Sunday, fighting for the win.

Reactions: joe_papp
I don't think he has shown much so far to say he could be in contention at the worlds or Vuelta. Unless he is bluffing big style as he more or less wheel sucked his way around the Tour (mentoring Mas?) to get some prep in,. The last ITT was just weird. Hope he is honest with his doms if his form is off for the Vuelta and doesn't make them suffer for him to get a top 10 rather than go for stage wins, which I think would go down better than struggling in GC. Do they have a backup if he is struggling or is it all or nothing?

I don't think he has shown much so far to say he could be in contention at the worlds or Vuelta. Unless he is bluffing big style as he more or less wheel sucked his way around the Tour (mentoring Mas?) to get some prep in,. The last ITT was just weird. Hope he is honest with his doms if his form is off for the Vuelta and doesn't make them suffer for him to get a top 10 rather than go for stage wins, which I think would go down better than struggling in GC. Do they have a backup if he is struggling or is it all or nothing?

For la Vuelta the back up plan is Mas for GC. Before the TT I thought his form was improving and looking better and thought he'd be alright for the Worlds and good for la Vuelta, but then the TT happened. One of the worst of his entire career. If the forecast weather for the Worlds is accurate I'll be surprised if he doesn't abandon the race very early and then just skip the Ardennes entirely.

So what will going to be on Sunday? First, before the Tour, his form was crap. Then during the Tour he was improving day-by-day, it looked like he perfectly timed his form for the Worlds. And then that TT happened... On top of that it could rain all day on Sunday, which is not to his favor.
Nevertheless, I'm still optimist. I think we shall see a good Bala on Sunday, fighting for the win.

Between the TT which was just weird and the cold and rain for the Worlds I don't actually expect him to even finish the race. Landa is co leader for the Worlds anyway and I wouldn't be shocked if it's cold and raining before the start he transfers full leadership to Landa and climbs off early.

TRENDING THREADS