• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders He's coming home!!!! Alejandro Valverde comeback thread.

Page 313 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

What will Valverde's impact be the cycling world in 2012

• Nuclear Holocoust

Votes: 27 100.0%

• Total voters
I never said that. It just seems that they tend to rely on him to get the victories as none of the others seem to do much. When is Mas gonna start being the next Contador? It's great that he won today and he looked good but where is the future?

Mas is never going to be the new Contador.

They have a poor team besides Valverde but they do suffer from López' injury/covid-induced season start delay. And Cortina looked decent on Wednesday but I'd say it's a bit too late he has found the form.

And it's not like this is a new thing for people to say. I think it has been going on for around 8 years (because it would at any point in that time span have been hard to imagine him still performing as well 2 years later).

For example, in 2014 it seemed outrageous that Quintana was directed to the Giro because Valverde got to have his last chance for the Tour podium. 7 years later, and Valverde drops him on an MTF.

I never said that. It just seems that they tend to rely on him to get the victories as none of the others seem to do much. When is Mas gonna start being the next Contador? It's great that he won today and he looked good but where is the future?

They don't currently have a very good team and haven't really had many options for awhile. However, they do have a few young riders whom need time to develop. Mas isn't going to be Contador, but can do well in GTs. He has to have time to build racing form. Soler is one of the most inconsistent riders ever. Cortina needs to get better at getting form early in the season. Jorgenson just needs time to develop. Plus Lopez is still out with Covid/injury recovery. They are hoping to get him racing this month.

As tobydawq said, this line of thinking of why are they relying on Valverde has been going on for the better part of the past 6 to 8 years.

As tobydawq said, this line of thinking of why are they relying on Valverde has been going on for the better part of the past 6 to 8 years.

8 years is a bit of a stretch, I think up to 5 years ago, pre trident, they still look formidable and considered one of the best teams in the mountain, winning races with four or five riders. Their 2014-2016 squads were still a nice one, tactical confusion aside. And of course they still won GTs not so long ago, surely within 8 years.
To be honest now it's hard to imagine they won races what the likes Ion Izagirre in biggish races or Lobato, Herrada, or even the old Dani Moreno in smallish races could. Soler getting lucky break feel like their only hope which wasn't Valverde lately. 3 to 5 years maybe

Reactions: joe_papp
Are you sure about Valencia? I think after Catalunya and Itzulia he doesn't need another stage race before the Ardennes. Some rest and he should be in top form there...

He said he was going to Valencia.

¿Cómo se ha ido encontrando en estos primeros 17 días de competición que lleva?

Bastante mejor ya. Al principio de temporada empezamos con poca competición porque anularon las primeras carreras que se iban a hacer. La idea era llegar bien a la Volta y a la Itzulia, Valencia y clásicas y parece que estoy en el camino correcto. El equipo también ha dado un paso adelante.

TRENDING THREADS