• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders He's coming home!!!! Alejandro Valverde comeback thread.

Page 324 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

What will Valverde's impact be the cycling world in 2012

• Nuclear Holocoust

Votes: 27 100.0%

• Total voters
Not sure if old news? But Valverde is continuing beyond 2021

Not sure if old news? But Valverde is continuing beyond 2021

I think this is the first time it's been put into an article or interview. However, he's been hinting at this for about 2 to 3 months now. It started with he doesn't want to retire until the fans are back at all the races. Now it's more, I want the fans back and I'm not sure I'm actually ready to retire yet.

Bottom of the article:

El murciano, a los 41, es el corredor más veterano que queda primero o segundo en una etapa del Tour. Pogacar, por su parte, no sufrió ante un grupo de favoritos donde tan sólo Guillaume Martin se bajó del carro después de perder tiempo en el descenso del penúltimo puerto.

Basically they are saying he is the oldest.

That's where they mention it. I've seen it said in a couple other places as well.

Reactions: Sandisfan
So how's Valverde looking, guys? I admittedly haven't been following the detailed results...mostly just looking at how my fantasy TdF team is impacted by the stage, and Valverde's not on my team. Has he recovered from injuries suffered in the crash? Was he a credible challenger for the stage win on the day he finished second? Is his continued participation in the Tour in any way jeopardizing his Olympic plans? Does he have any possibility to win the Olympic road race?

Sorry for so many questions, but hope you'll indulge me.

Reactions: Sandisfan
So how's Valverde looking, guys? I admittedly haven't been following the detailed results...mostly just looking at how my fantasy TdF team is impacted by the stage, and Valverde's not on my team. Has he recovered from injuries suffered in the crash? Was he a credible challenger for the stage win on the day he finished second? Is his continued participation in the Tour in any way jeopardizing his Olympic plans? Does he have any possibility to win the Olympic road race?

Sorry for so many questions, but hope you'll indulge me.

He is looking quite good, I would say. On stage 8, he lost 35 minutes after dropping down from the break because he was freezing. On stage 9, he did well in similar conditions...

And yes, he was a legitimate contender for the stage he was second, but Kuss was a bit stronger, simple as that. He was second best by far, though.

I definitely don't think he has any lingering injuries. I don't know about the jeopardization of his Olympic chances. I still remember 2014 when he was on his knees in the last week of the Tour and couldn't even beat Péraud and Pinot for the Tour podium, and then six days later, he won the Clásica San Sebastián at a canter. I would be surprised if he won but it's not entirely impossible, I guess.

TRENDING THREADS