• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders He's coming home!!!! Alejandro Valverde comeback thread.

Page 326 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

What will Valverde's impact be the cycling world in 2012

• Nuclear Holocoust

Votes: 27 100.0%

• Total voters
He's back out riding with his posse

E-gu05bWUAUdjN-

Hard to do Giro, if not just stage-hunting, if he has peaked for Ardennes.

And if he wants to be in good shape for Vuelta, then riding the Tour is probably the best prep for him.

I hope he's not going to the Tour (or only for stage-hunting and Vuelta preparation). He should focus on the Ardennes and WT stage races in spring and then the Vuelta and the autumn classics at the end of the year.

I would also love to see him in the Giro for a second time, but I doubt that will happen.

I hope he's not going to the Tour (or only for stage-hunting and Vuelta preparation). He should focus on the Ardennes and WT stage races in spring and then the Vuelta and the autumn classics at the end of the year.

I would also love to see him in the Giro for a second time, but I doubt that will happen.

To be "regular" Valverde then his season should be racing through the spring, peak for Ardennes, race Tour as prep only (help Mas perhaps and go for stages) and be in shape for Vuelta. Keep the form through WC and Italian races, if he does not want to end with Vuelta as his last race.

Thats been his schedule for years and worked for him. See no reason why it would be a good idea to change it only for him to race the Giro. He will only race it if he wants to do it.

Okay, so he has ruled out to ride the Tour, but not yet the Giro:

“I want to enjoy my last season as a pro. I don’t have my season sketched out yet, but a start at the Tour de France is already excluded,” he said.
“I hope to race the Vuelta next year, and we will study the Giro route too. And then there’s the classics and all the races on the Spanish calendar.”
"When I retire I have a contract for two more years in the Movistar team. I will try to help the team as much as I can, especially by coaching young riders, which is something I like a lot."

Any word on Rojas and Irviti’s plans for 2022?

I'm pretty sure that they will stay for another year. Otherwise, this statement by Patxi Vila regarding the transfer of Gorka Izagirre does not make sense:
"As for Gorka, he can play a team captain role’s which we’ve been lacking a little bit in certain races. When you’ve got an overlapping race program, then even two riders who are hugely experienced in that role like Jose Joaquin Rojas and Imanol Erviti sometimes need more support to maintain communication between the guys on the road and the management behind.”

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan
Maybe just Koronin who insisted it was the case. Or was it more "Spain only, except for some races that are not in Spain!"?

Never said Spanish only, Spanish eccentric which is different. He's not skipping the Ardennes, which as far as I know aren't in Spain.

When he signed his current contract, my first thought was when he does retire that he'll move into a coaching role with the team. He enjoys coaching the riders on his own team, esp the Junior and U-23 riders. So it only makes sense that he'd want to coach the younger riders on Movistar's team as well.

Reactions: joe_papp