• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders He's coming home!!!! Alejandro Valverde comeback thread.

Page 325 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

What will Valverde's impact be the cycling world in 2012

• Nuclear Holocoust

Votes: 27 100.0%

• Total voters
Here's what Movistar said on facebook (Spanish and English translation)

Un día muy duro que termina del peor modo posible...
Pese a que las radiografías de Alejandro Valverde en el Hospital General de Alicante no mostraban en un primer momento fracturas, el desplazamiento de la placa en su hombro derecho, así como el dolor en dicha zona y también en el costado, aconsejaron ampliar dichas pruebas con un TAC, que acabó confirmando una fractura de clavícula. Alejandro será operado el sábado en Murcia.
Gracias por todo el cariño hacia él y el equipo. #RodamosJuntos
A very hard day that ends in the worst way possible...
Although the X-rays of Alejandro Valverde at the General Hospital de Alicante did not show at first fractures, the displacement of the plaque on his right shoulder, as well as pain in that area and also on the side, advised to extend these tests with a TAC, which ended up confirming a collarbone fracture. Alejandro will be operated on Saturday in Murcia.
Thanks for all the love towards him and the team. #We Roll Together

(I'm not surprised my friend told me what was actually going on before Movistar released the information publicly)

Two times he’s had an unfortunate crash recently that hampered a potential good GC or stage wins. I hope he can get back but it’s absolutely harder the older we get. Honestly his resolve to continue riding at his age and with still a consistency many lose at 35 is remarkable. I hope at 41 I still have the same drive and motivation for my career and profession as I do at 27.

Two times he’s had an unfortunate crash recently that hampered a potential good GC or stage wins. I hope he can get back but it’s absolutely harder the older we get. Honestly his resolve to continue riding at his age and with still a consistency many lose at 35 is remarkable. I hope at 41 I still have the same drive and motivation for my career and profession as I do at 27.

I'm older than Valverde and still want to improve with what I do, but of course - unlike the Don - I've never really been too good at it in the first place:p

Anyway, it's sad to lose him in the Vuelta, let alone this early. You know he's one of few certain strong features of his home grand tour in almost twenty years now, we're so used to seeing him playing big roles in it, and even when he didn't we still talked about him.

[Usual disclaimer: I'm no fan of his] I only got to watch the highlights of yesterday's stage, and Valverde's crash was (unfortunately) the story of the day. As he gets older, even people like me root for him; it takes a special cat to make it this long at this level. I really wish Don Alejandro to get a big win and leave on a high note like Contador did. We can take solace in the fact that this doesn't appear to be a season-ending injury. I wish him a prompt recovery and my bet is that we will see Alejandro Valverde this fall in Italy.

His doctor believes he'll race next year. He said something about Alejandro doesn't want the bike or injury to tell him he has to stop that he wants to retire on his own terms and not be forced to retire.

I believe him, Would like to see him in spanish races like GP Indurain tearing it up like 2014, 2018 or this year :D

Last edited:
Reactions: Sandisfan
Noticias frescas de Alejandro Valverde, invitado este viernes a #LaMontonera de Eurosport. Tres titulares; cada uno, mejor que el anterior:
"La recuperación va bien; la clavícula, con la operación, no supuso muchas dificultades, pero las costillas aún me molestan y hay que darle algo más de tiempo al cuerpo".
"En principio tengo previsto volver el día 28 de septiembre en el Giro di Sicilia, pensando en llegar bien a Il Lombardía".
"En 2022 voy a continuar. Tengo fuerza y motivación para ayudar al equipo o, por qué no, pelear por conseguir victorias".
Fresh news from Alejandro Valverde, guest this Friday to #LaMontonera from Eurosport. Three headlines; each, better than the last:
′′ Recovery is going well; the collarbone, with the operation, didn't involve much difficulties, but the ribs still bother me and you have to give the body some more time ".
′′ I'm originally planning to return on September 28th at the Giro di Sicily, thinking of getting well to Il Lombardy ".

Here's the link to Movistar's comments on Twitter:
View: https://twitter.com/Movistar_Team/status/1433809793123241992

Last edited: