• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders He's coming home!!!! Alejandro Valverde comeback thread.

Page 332 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

What will Valverde's impact be the cycling world in 2012

• Nuclear Holocoust

Votes: 27 100.0%

• Total voters
I just never want him to stop racing! This man gets better as he ages, just amazing. What's even more amazing is the amount of motivation and hard work needed to stay at this lever for so long.

View: https://twitter.com/Movistar_Team/status/1500151844252884994?s=20&t=UMMb7Bj8gVbBRQduOA1xOw

FNGbG_DXIAY-NgZ

FNGc2GkWQAMKwRv

Great result again, but still annoys me every time I see him race. Or well, see how he refuses to race.

Some will call it smart riding I guess, but in my opinion a great champion should cooperate a bit more rather than killing the chance of every chasing group he has ever been in.

I think each rider has to ride to the best of their abilities. I dont think he would be as successful as he has been for so long if he had ridden any other way. Maybe that is also why he has been able to ride for so long.

I think each rider has to ride to the best of their abilities. I dont think he would be as successful as he has been for so long if he had ridden any other way. Maybe that is also why he has been able to ride for so long.

Yeah that’s all good and perhaps fair. But I still don’t like it. Always taking the least turns of the entire group, even with uproven youngsters like Narvaez and Simmons in the group.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Yeah that’s all good and perhaps fair. But I still don’t like it. Always taking the least turns of the entire group, even with uproven youngsters like Narvaez and Simmons in the group.

It is fair to not like his style of racing, but he has always ridden this way and gotten the most out of it. A big achievement in itself. I think you cant expect him to ride any differently now, in his last (?) season. He is Valverde.

As Salvarani said he's always ridden like this. You can't expect someone in his 40's to change how he's raced since he was basically 9 years old. You also can't expect him to change how he trains either, which from all accounts is also different from most everyone else. This is how he races and he is in the top 3 of active riders for most victories. It's worked extremely well for him. The 2016 Giro he was part of the lead group with two other of the top GC riders. I remember one of them asked something about him taking a few less turns. The response was, we know how he races and exactly what he's going to do in these situations. It's either accept it or allow people behind to catch us which isn't an options. (paraphrasing that answer).

Great to see him on the podium at Strade and it's his best ever finish in the race.

Great result again, but still annoys me every time I see him race. Or well, see how he refuses to race.

Some will call it smart riding I guess, but in my opinion a great champion should cooperate a bit more rather than killing the chance of every chasing group he has ever been in.

Agreed, I respect him and appreciate he's had an insanely successful career, but would it kill the guy to take a pull?

Reactions: Sandisfan
Agreed, I respect him and appreciate he's had an insanely successful career, but would it kill the guy to take a pull?

He did take pulls. But he also abstained from doing it a few times. I was about to want to kill him when he let Wellens go, but I think it was just before one of the toughest graveled climbs (Le Tolfe?) so I assume he didn't want to burn a match just before that.

Also, I think he was genuinely surprised to be that strong compared to his rivals given his age and the fact that he had spent a large portion of the pre-final chasing after the big crash.

TRENDING THREADS