• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders He's coming home!!!! Alejandro Valverde comeback thread.

Page 336 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

What will Valverde's impact be the cycling world in 2012

• Nuclear Holocoust

Votes: 27 100.0%

• Total voters
Strange way of not riding for GC

He's really good at that. It's been a couple of years since he has said he was riding for GC. Although the 2019 Vuelta while wearing the rainbow jersey he really wanted that podium. I remember him saying after he got it, that he couldn't dare to allow himself to dream of a Vuelta podium while wearing the rainbow jersey because if it didn't happen the heartbreak was going to be too high.

Is in your opinion good that Valverde is giving all his best to have a top10 position, that maybe does not give so much in his career, because he already has a podium at Giro in his parlmares, or was better that he was out of GC to try to win a stage (he has only 1 stage win at Giro in 2016 ) ?

with more freedom stage like Napoli or the next Jesi stage or Torino would be perfect to him

Is in your opinion good that Valverde is giving all his best to have a top10 position, that maybe does not give so much in his career, because he already has a podium at Giro in his parlmares, or was better that he was out of GC to try to win a stage (he has only 1 stage win at Giro in 2016 ) ?

with more freedom stage like Napoli or the next Jesi stage or Torino would be perfect to him

Always stay in GC if you can.

Reactions: gregrowlerson

I've mixed feelings. On the one hand it's nice to see him fight with the best in the GC every day even now in his age. On the other hand, he's really reducing his chances to win a stage that way.

Reactions: Sandisfan
I think he has more chances to win a not very hard mountain stage from the GC group than a hilly stage from a break against the VdP, Girmay, Cort, Mollema of this world.

I think it really depends on the break and the stage. He was really close to win stages from breaks in the TdF (2nd behind Kuss) and in the Vuelta (3rd in a stage that Woods won) in recent years. On the other hand, the disadvantage in breaks is that depending on the composition, all eyes will be on him. That was the same in the Vuelta stage that Woods won in 2020. Valverde was really strong, but simply couldn't cover all moves.

He needs to drop time in the next two stages and go stage hunting - He's a good chance to win from a break.
Nope. He needs to go on the offensive in Turin stage. He could win there, and that stage could create chaos. This Giro would be full of surprises I think, there's no clear favorite, and everything is possible. He's not far behind strongest guys, and with his endurance and experience he could be, together with Nibali, a danger man in the 3rd week.

In addition to Stage 14, IMHO Stages 17 and 19 are good for him. He could win from a small GC group. Of course, there's a good chance they go to breaks. There's also a chance he's out of the GC by then. I don't think it's worth losing time for stages like Napoli or Jesi, they aren't not selective enough and there's too much randomness if the break is large. I also think that Jesi could be controlled by teams interested in a small group sprint if they really want it.

I think he has more chances to win a not very hard mountain stage from the GC group than a hilly stage from a break against the VdP, Girmay, Cort, Mollema of this world.
I think this is a great point. Why does being a “stage hunter” mean shipping 45’ to go in long taxing breaks that usually don’t succeed and may not suit a rider best tools. It’s also a risk to assume the GC group will get to the stage finish first, but for someone like the Valverde the odds of taking a win of that sort seem just as high as from a long break and would also be more satisfying. And on stages he doesn’t have it he needn’t kill himself to stay with the front group.

Ed. Kaptain Kool just beat me to it and said it a little better:)

Simply, Valverde is on record as stating his objective in the Giro is to win a stage - Doubt he can win it from the GC group, and anyway the GC group will not always be contesting for the stage.
Yes, but why would he contest the GC the first 9 days if his objective is only stage wins? Common sense is often your friend, and Vavlerde always says stuff like that. He has said it for the last 5 years, but it never really happens.

He's been saying he wants to go stage hunting since he got his Giro podium in 2016. He can't bring himself to intentionally drop time. It's not in his DNA. This is the same guy in 2020's Vuelta whom the team fought on the last day to ensure he had 10th spot in the GC. Would he love to win a stage, definitely. Is he Movistar's best option for GC in this Giro, apparently.

New bike for Valverde

View: https://twitter.com/Movistar_Team/status/1526435926058094592?s=20&t=CM7Mx_3Kfg2Lx9M8D7Qfew

FS8lurRWIAAGkC6

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS