• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders He's coming home!!!! Alejandro Valverde comeback thread.

Page 338 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

What will Valverde's impact be the cycling world in 2012

• Nuclear Holocoust

Votes: 27 100.0%

• Total voters
I should have been more specific and refer to ITTs in GTs out of Spain.

Like this? You mean it's not too good to be caught by Michael Rasmussen even if you started 3 minutes before him? At least he beat Cancellara by almost 3 minutes.

Rodriguez lost almost 13 minutes that day.

I don’t think it’s really fair to compare what Valverde had to do by himself vs domestiques able to ride until tired while their leaders rested and conserved energy as well as they could. He had to conserve his energy for the whole stage and not go too deep in order to not blow up on the upcoming stages. He seems to be in good form and this lose could see him lose out on a top 5 position.and honestly remarkable at his age too keep this up.

Last edited:
Hey guys, I haven't been following the Giro at all...Stanley Cup hockey has captured my attention. But I took a brief look at the results of today's (presumably hilly) stage (5/24) posted on Cycling Tips in some froofy article of theirs, and Valverde was 5th? That sounds good. And he's in the top-10 overall? Are you guys pleased with his performance thus far in the race, or disappointed, or ...? Just curious, really.

I'm going to bed now, but I probably won't try slogging through all of the highlights and reports tomorrow since it's my b-day and I'll be outdoors in morning then with family in late-afternoon doing actual fun stuff.

Really just want to know if you guys think Valverde is acquitting himself well in this Giro. And also if there are any stages upcoming that could suit him, as I'd make an effort to watch one.

OK, well, hope you all are doing well. Sorry I haven't been around to talk cycling much this year...I really gave my interest over to hockey and have followed the entire NHL regular season, and now the playoffs.

Hopefully, Bala gets into the break tomorrow. Of all of the Giro stages, IMHO Stage 19 suits him best. He could win in a small group sprint like in last year's Dauphine but I just don't see any reason for GC teams to keep a break in check enough to fight for the stage.
Stage 20 and the ITT? Well, those are pointless. I'm not even sure why the organizers haven't cancelled them yet.

So youre definitely not implying that you like what you have seen based on not seeing too much of him at all in the Giro? Sure seemed so, but I guess youre smart enough for that to be able to be interpreted in multiple ways
Well yes, that is why I'm happy with it*. So what? I'm not celebrating that he is ill or struck by misfortune. I'm just happy that he is anonymous.

*Plus that the one time he was in a break, he didn't disturb the racing there.

So what? Well, my point is that its baiting 101 and if you did something similar back in the day, you'd be hit with a 2-weeker and a few messages from Irondan, Red Rick or whoever issued the bans back then since they probably got spammed in the PMs by LF and told to ban X user. Now nobody seems to care, since I guess its a rider that many people dont really like for various reasons. The standard is just a lot different which is what I have a problem with.

Dont you agree with that?

So what? Well, my point is that its baiting 101 and if you did something similar back in the day, you'd be hit with a 2-weeker and a few messages from Irondan, Red Rick or whoever issued the bans back then since they probably got spammed in the PMs by LF and told to ban X user. Now nobody seems to care, since I guess its a rider that many people dont really like for various reasons. The standard is just a lot different which is what I have a problem with.

Dont you agree with that?
I have next to zero trust in the accuracy of your memory with regard to old bans. It would also conflict with what has been and continues to be tolerated when it comes to Froome. Yet I don't see you whine every single time someone says something the least unpleasant about him.

I have next to zero trust in the accuracy of your memory with regard to old bans. It would also conflict with what has been and continues to be tolerated when it comes to Froome. Yet I don't see you whine every single time someone says something the least unpleasant about him.
I have seen you post infinite stuff like this in the stage threads which I havent commented on since everything you want to achieve with those is bait people into responding. So thats definitely not true. It just happens that this time I got tired of your stupid posts.

Its becoming obnoxious to read, which I am sure you are well aware of, and which I guess is also what you want to achieve. But sure, continue, nobody really gives apparantly and you can piss some people off, so more power to you homie

Reactions: tobydawq
I have seen you post infinite stuff like this in the stage threads which I havent commented on since everything you want to achieve with those is bait people into responding. So thats definitely not true. It just happens that this time I got tired of your stupid posts.

But you keep responding and now The Great Man's thread is getting cluttered. You have to treat it like all those feral dogs on my street. Pay no attention to them and they stay out of your way.

Hey guys, I haven't been following the Giro at all...Stanley Cup hockey has captured my attention. But I took a brief look at the results of today's (presumably hilly) stage (5/24) posted on Cycling Tips in some froofy article of theirs, and Valverde was 5th? That sounds good. And he's in the top-10 overall? Are you guys pleased with his performance thus far in the race, or disappointed, or ...? Just curious, really.

I'm going to bed now, but I probably won't try slogging through all of the highlights and reports tomorrow since it's my b-day and I'll be outdoors in morning then with family in late-afternoon doing actual fun stuff.

Really just want to know if you guys think Valverde is acquitting himself well in this Giro. And also if there are any stages upcoming that could suit him, as I'd make an effort to watch one.

OK, well, hope you all are doing well. Sorry I haven't been around to talk cycling much this year...I really gave my interest over to hockey and have followed the entire NHL regular season, and now the playoffs.

Hi Joe, Valverde was good in this Giro, and still is in the race for Top-10. Today, we could see him in the breakaway, and maybe he even wins the stage.

He‘s just a few seconds behind Carthy, who‘s currently 10th.

The Giro in the legs will do him good, also with regard to the Vuelta, where he wants to finish his career, and where he wants to reach the final GC podium.

Stanley Cup is good, but Giro is even better… So, welcome back on board - you‘re just on time for the Tour de France, which will start in a few weeks!… :)

And why would he care what people write about Froome, a rider who actually doesn't perform anymore?

I know you find it funny to bait me and Valv but you also know that you will never make me cross the line to get myself banned even when responding to your anti-Valverde crap, so there's no real point in doing it. You're a smart person, maybe it was time to grow up a little and make your behavior reflect the level of intelligence.

TRENDING THREADS