• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders He's coming home!!!! Alejandro Valverde comeback thread.

Page 21 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

What will Valverde's impact be the cycling world in 2012

• Nuclear Holocoust

Votes: 27 100.0%

• Total voters
Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Dekker_Tifosi said:
i vaguely remember when coni banned him and rest didn't valverde couldn't ride in italy and could still ride elsewhere

thought that coni ban was 4 years but appearently it's not

If he really was still banned in Italy, the Tour would have had a stage there:p

Vino won on his third day of competition after returning (Stage 3b, 2009 Tour de l'Ain), which beats Valverde (fifth day of competition if we don't count the Cancer Council Classic).

Vino's suspension was lifted on 22/07/09, and he won on 11/08/09, meaning he won a race on his 21st day of eligibility. Valverde's suspension was lifted on 01/01/12 and he won on Old Willunga Hill on 21/01/12, so he managed the same time from suspension to victory.

However, both of them pale in comparison to Alessandro "Ale-Jet" Petacchi, whose suspension for salbutamol ended on August 31, 2008, making him eligible to ride again on September 1 (although to be fair the suspension was mostly backdated; he lost 9 months of results, but was only suspended for 3 months as a result); he won the first stage of the Tour of Britain with his new team, LPR Brakes, on September 7, his first day of racing action and his seventh day of eligibility.

May 19, 2011
Visit site
Libertine Seguros said:
Vino won on his third day of competition after returning (Stage 3b, 2009 Tour de l'Ain), which beats Valverde (fifth day of competition if we don't count the Cancer Council Classic).

Vino's suspension was lifted on 22/07/09, and he won on 11/08/09, meaning he won a race on his 21st day of eligibility. Valverde's suspension was lifted on 01/01/12 and he won on Old Willunga Hill on 21/01/12, so he managed the same time from suspension to victory.

However, both of them pale in comparison to Alessandro "Ale-Jet" Petacchi, whose suspension for salbutamol ended on August 31, 2008, making him eligible to ride again on September 1 (although to be fair the suspension was mostly backdated; he lost 9 months of results, but was only suspended for 3 months as a result); he won the first stage of the Tour of Britain with his new team, LPR Brakes, on September 7, his first day of racing action and his seventh day of eligibility.

Are you a cycling journalist Libertine? You have some serious knowledge of cycling. Very impressive.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Libertine Seguros said:

Lol, that doesn't even count...

he is back!

he maybe was conscious when Simon Gerrans twitted "Adios Alejandro" when this one got the ban...

A Pity that the murcian didn't puntuate the last day indeed.

Anyway, Simon will get more of Willunga at the ardennes

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Aguirre said:
he is back!

he maybe was conscious when Simon Gerrans twitted "Adios Alejandro" when this one got the ban...

Yeah, Simon Gerrans is the bad guy here.

Lol.

Aguirre said:
he is back!

being the indisputable team leader piti is if i were him i would turn gerrans life a living hell, he would have my team chase everything single one of his moves in any race we raced together. :eek:

tdu12st05-valverde1.jpg

He ain't got it all out yet- more tears of joy are to be shed in coming victories...

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
c&cfan said:
if he is the bad guy or not it doesn't matter. what does matter is hypocrisy and again, you are being an hypocrite. grow up.

I advice you to listen to your own advice ;)

There's no need to demonize Simon Gerrans, it's quite pathetic actually. Valverde's ban is his fault and his alone, don't take your hate out on an(until now) innocent cyclist, thank you very much.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Parrulo said:
being the indisputable team leader piti is if i were him i would turn gerrans life a living hell, he would have my team chase everything single one of his moves in any race we raced together. :eek:

Reminds me of a story about Oscar Pereiro/Alejandro Valverde and Philippe Gilbert ;)

El Pistolero said:
I advice you to listen to your own advice ;)

lol Pisti. How could you mess that up :p There was pressure. It was a delicate sentence to attempt and you needed to get it right:p

There's no need to demonize Simon Gerrans, it's quite pathetic actually. Valverde's ban is his fault and his alone, don't take your hate out on an(until now) innocent cyclist, thank you very much

You are right, Gerrans should not be demonised for the quote alone. If we can however find another tweet where he talks for example about how great Evans is for example then its another matter.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
The Hitch said:
lol Pisti. How could you mess that up :p There was pressure. It was a delicate sentence to attempt and you needed to get it right:p

You are right, Gerrans should not be demonised for the quote alone. If we can however find another tweet where he talks for example about how great Evans is for example then its another matter.

Lol, it's easier in Dutch though(ik adviseer je om naar je eigen advies te luisteren), I guess it should have been "I advise" instead of advice. But oh well.

And Evans hasn't been implicated in any doping stories and I doubt Simon Gerrans spends enough time in the clinic to hear all kinds of crazy theories about how every single cyclist dopes.

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
So based off this thread, do we think Piti will be the most decisive character in the peloton for 2012? Not sure, but probably taking the role over from Vino?

PS. this is just putting forward a question for forum peoples opinion, not meant to be a sleight on either rider - I do that elsewhere;).

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Well most of us have been waiting for a year and 2/3-rds for a rider who races year round again. Gilbert was very good for 2011 but now Piti returns and hopefully will concentrate on racing year round instead of the lazy one goal a year by most others. I would rather he try to win all races he enters and loses them than only race one for a win and win the one.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
El Pistolero said:
Lol, it's easier in Dutch though(ik adviseer je om naar je eigen advies te luisteren), I guess it should have been "I advise" instead of advice. But oh well.

And Evans hasn't been implicated in any doping stories and I doubt Simon Gerrans spends enough time in the clinic to hear all kinds of crazy theories about how every single cyclist dopes.

The Evans comment was in reference to the 2009 worlds and the purported vote by the Aussie team over who to make captain Gerrans or Evans.