• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders He's coming home!!!! Alejandro Valverde comeback thread.

Page 22 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

What will Valverde's impact be the cycling world in 2012

• Nuclear Holocoust

Votes: 27 100.0%

• Total voters
Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
ElChingon said:
Well most of us have been waiting for a year and 2/3-rds for a rider who races year round again. Gilbert was very good for 2011 but now Piti returns and hopefully will concentrate on racing year round instead of the lazy one goal a year by most others. I would rather he try to win all races he enters and loses them than only race one for a win and win the one.

Gilbert doesn't race year round?

First win Giro stage (lot's of good performances before that win though)
Last win: Giro di Lombardia

First win: AGR

First win: stage in Algarve
Last win: GP de Wallonie

El Pistolero said:
Gilbert doesn't race year round?

First win Giro stage (lot's of good performances before that win though)

First win: AGR

First win: stage in Algarve
Last win: GP de Wallonie

Let me ask you a question.

How many times have you argued that Cancellara does not race year round?

And yet, going by the forumla above,

2008 First win - TOC Prologue Feb 17h
Last win Olympic World Time Trial Championship - 13th August.

First win: TOC prologue - Feb 14th
Last win: UCI Road World Time Trial Championship- 24th September.

First win : Tour of Oman Feb 19th
Last win : UCI Road World Time Trial Championship- 24th September.

First win: E3 Prijs - 26th March
Last winL Vuelta ttt - 20th August.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Timmy-loves-Rabo said:
last year was the first time I can remember gilbert being active and threatining for most of the year.

Valverde was always like that.

Gilbert always raced year round. Up until 2009 he didn't always win though.

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
Ryaguas said:
Prepare yourself for the impact!
598f0116cf7255f03415e9c9459b-grande.jpg

haha valverde is going to strike hard:p

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Parrulo said:
ya hair lol fail :p

i would have done the same if i was him, going bald before even hitting the 30's must suck big time.

Yup, wearing those helms all the time makes you go bald:p

I think Boonen is also growing bald slowly :D

Oct 18, 2009
Visit site
Parrulo said:
ya hair lol fail :p

i would have done the same if i was him, going bald before even hitting the 30's must suck big time.

hey hey hey!! i started losing my hair at the age of 20 so that's y i shave my hair. And apparently, women like shaved head.

The Hitch said:
Unless Boonen wins tomorrow ;)

Or really, in the cobbled classics I guess... forgive me the hyperbole.

Seriously, though, I think Mende is the real test to see whether he's back. In Australia, even winning against a fast uphill finisher in top form for the race, doubters would say 'it wasn't against the top competition'. Now in Paris-Nice, it is against the top competition for this time of year and he still won, a decent indicator for the Ardennes. In Andalucia, against a decent field he got 10 seconds on the only real climb. Again, a good indicator. All signs point to him doing fine in Mende.

Oct 18, 2009
Visit site
mewmewmew13 said:
Most men do look pretty cool with a shaved head. ;)
I saw your pic in the user pic thread and you do look good with a shaved head....:D ha just so you know.

thx! :D That's exactly what I needed to start my day. ;)

skidmark said:
Or really, in the cobbled classics I guess... forgive me the hyperbole.

Seriously, though, I think Mende is the real test to see whether he's back. In Australia, even winning against a fast uphill finisher in top form for the race, doubters would say 'it wasn't against the top competition'. Now in Paris-Nice, it is against the top competition for this time of year and he still won, a decent indicator for the Ardennes.

Yeah but at Mende we no no one out of the GC contenders can sprint against him ( even if they all follow him on the slopes ). Gerrans also dialled back a bit his form- as he believes it would suit him better for the Ardennes.

The top competition in my view includes Anton, Samu, Andy/ Frank ( not trying ) Vino, Gilbert and Evans- no one really else ( for the Ardennes though i hope others can come through ) and none of those were present here

Oct 18, 2009
Visit site
I was checking the CN live feed, only to see this :

"Valverde has, of course, come back from suspension for his part in Operacion Puerto this season. On his return to action, the Spaniard rather disingenuously said that he couldn't understand why he had been suspended in the first place. Perhaps he didn't read the CAS proceedings closely enough during his 18 months on the sidelines, but the bags of his blood seized from Dr. Eufemiano Fuentes' fridge seem to have had something to do with it..."

they couldn't be more biased and mean

nobilis said:
I was checking the CN live feed, only to see this :

"Valverde has, of course, come back from suspension for his part in Operacion Puerto this season. On his return to action, the Spaniard rather disingenuously said that he couldn't understand why he had been suspended in the first place. Perhaps he didn't read the CAS proceedings closely enough during his 18 months on the sidelines, but the bags of his blood seized from Dr. Eufemiano Fuentes' fridge seem to have had something to do with it..."

they couldn't be more biased and mean

well CN has no credibility as a news source so i don't even bother with what they say anymore

TRENDING THREADS