• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Hilly TT of 40 km: Contador or Froome?

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Hilly TT of 40 km - Contador or Froome, who is better?

• don't know

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
Leonardus said:
Contador did a good TT in the enecotour and he has already been training on the TT parcour so I expect a very good TT from him but based on the Tour and Olympic TT I would say Froome will beat him by a small margin.

More important, how much will Rodriguez lose and can Valverde limit his losses in the TT compared to Contador and Froome but also to Gesink?

Ye will be interesting to see how Jrod will do.

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
This battle will be also a reference for tour '13.

I really can't wait to see how this will turn out. I might be more interested in this than the cuiti negru, although...last 4km 17 % hmmm lol

Anyway I voted for Contador aswell, in a hilly TT I still have a lot of faith in him.

I even think he might become this year WC TT so yeah :D

And he must have tested a lot with the specialized people, right?

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
The map in the vuelta site is a piece of shit. I zoomed to the max on google maps and there is no road along the depicted course. However, the actual roads on the area connecting the villages listed in the detailed course show a few hairpins after the summit on the way to the finish, so it is a technical descent.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
I'd have to go with Froome, I'd rate his time trialing just slightly better than Contador's. I think Froome will be the better of the two but I don't think Contador will be too far back.

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Kwibus said:
Froome and aero? Wait? What?
Chris-Froome-nails-the-second-position.jpg

Allthough this looks pretty aero, but when you see his weird O-legs on a normal bike I couldn't imagine this position by him on a TT bike.

2012-Eneco-Tour-Alberto-Contador.jpg

Pretty good as well.

Both don't have perfect TT positions like Martin and Wiggins, bur pretty good.

after further study..thanks for the photos..agreed, not much difference except a lower head/helmet position on Froome in this photo. Note that when the head drops with the Sky helmet is not draging the tail fin like a sail through the air.

Froome's legs do have an O bow.

I think Froome still might have an edge, having done more ITTs in competition this year, but he could be fading. I am surpirse I got caught up in a prediction.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
I guess I should of looked at this before voting:

Route:
mapa11.jpg

Profile:
11_perfil.png

But this is basically becoming the Stage 11 preView thread isn't it?

The climb doesn't look at bad as it could be

Name__Start (km)__Max. alt.___Vert. gain____Dist.____Ave gradient _Cat
Alto _____23,5_____490 m._____447 m._____10 km._____4,40%_____3
Monte
Castrove

Its going to be close but maybe in favor of TT boy Froome, not that I like that but based on previous TT's and that this climb isn't too bad or hard for those two.

Jun 27, 2009
Visit site
SafeBet said:
If he's anywhere around his Tour form, Froomey has a clear advantage.
But I, as many others, have the feeling is running out of gas.

The TT will be close enough not to matter much, but yes, Froom is going to have to deal with a trifecta of Spaniards and their teams to torture Sky... I reckon he'll crack sooner than later, a result of that heavy racing calendar and relentless pressure from every Spaniard in the peleton lobbing in...

Jun 29, 2009
Visit site
when Contador rode his great TTs, he was in "ridiculing everyone on the climbs" shape, havent seen that so far.
Froome was on par with Conti on 10% slopes and he is like 7-8kg heavier, and there is only ~4km of "real" climbing in the TT, the rest is 3-4% stuff.
So...Froome bout a minute ahead of Contador, 2:30 ahead of Valv and JR.

S2Sturges said:
The TT will be close enough not to matter much, but yes, Froom is going to have to deal with a trifecta of Spaniards and their teams to torture Sky... I reckon he'll crack sooner than later, a result of that heavy racing calendar and relentless pressure from every Spaniard in the peleton lobbing in...

I don't know. Spaniards are often very patriotic and stick together, but tactics-wise, it wouldn't make sense for any rider who wants to win to gang up on Froome imo. If you're riding for the podium, ok, but if you're Rodriguez and you want to use this once-in-a-lifetime chance, why would you play into Contador's hands like that? I'm sure he has an ego too.

LaFlorecita said:
I stopped reading after this part. Fail... Was he in "ridiculing everyone on the climbs" shape in last year's Tour?

No, but he wasn't riding one of his best ITTs ever, either.
True, he was 3rd, but a minute slower than Cuddles.

Not sure how Wednesday will pan out.

What I suspect from the weekend stages is that Bertie is still short of optimum race conditioning, while Froome may be starting to struggle to hold his.

They don't call the ITT the race of truth for nothing.
All will be revealed.

Froome by 20-30" is my best guess.

TRENDING THREADS