• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Hilly TT of 40 km: Contador or Froome?

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Hilly TT of 40 km - Contador or Froome, who is better?

• don't know

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Froome has looked cooked the last 2 stages. Therefore i do not know. If Contador was back to his 09 ITT's he would probably smash this. The fact is is a hilly ITT gives Contador a chance to race it aggressively/ maybe not feel the effort as much as a flatter ITT would have. Contador is however not at his best currently.

I am looking forward to it but i think the result can go either way.

greenedge said:
Froome has looked cooked the last 2 stages. Therefore i do not know. If Contador was back to his 09 ITT's he would probably smash this. The fact is is a hilly ITT gives Contador a chance to race it aggressively/ maybe not feel the effort as much as a flatter ITT would have. Contador is however not at his best currently.

I am looking forward to it but i think the result can go either way.

Yes it will be very interesting that's for sure. :) I am really looking forward to it.

Jun 27, 2009
Visit site
spalco said:
I don't know. Spaniards are often very patriotic and stick together, but tactics-wise, it wouldn't make sense for any rider who wants to win to gang up on Froome imo. If you're riding for the podium, ok, but if you're Rodriguez and you want to use this once-in-a-lifetime chance, why would you play into Contador's hands like that? I'm sure he has an ego too.

Oh yeah I understand what you're saying and any alleigences would tenuous at best, my suggestion was that if you have what is perceived to be three riders capable of topping GC, it' s a weight of numbers. Sky can only chase so many times and with combined pressure of three teams with realistic goals leaning on them, well, I'm certainly looking forward to the rest of the tour.

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
I think if Froome gains a minute on Contador, he'll win the race. But it's quite unlikely. Rather '30-'50. All remind the 2009 Tour TT, though difficult to compare a 3k steep hill where contador was flying and 10k 4% ascent which riders will get over, pushing a big cogwheel. froome's power has to affect on this part of the distance. at that, i cant imagine a tt course what wouldn't suit froome, in case he's ok surely.

spalco said:
Well, if Tony wins by about 1 1/2 hours, then maybe he would factor into the Froome/Contador battle for GC, but otherwise he won't matter.

Nobody outside of Spain gives a **** about the Vuelta GC, anyway.
Whatever, back on topic. I think Froom and Contador will be roughly equal.
If Contador should manage to catch Valverde however, this will be a huge advantage for him.

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Forunculo said:
And 0 yesterday stage:p

i've rewatched that attack and he really went hard when he attacked. If he waited he might have been able to follow purito, not sure though.

We'll see how good he really is in the TT.

Miburo said:
i've rewatched that attack and he really went hard when he attacked. If he waited he might have been able to follow purito, not sure though.

Read somewhere that felt he felt strong, but simply attacked on the wrong part of the stage.

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Miburo said:

It will tell all. Now I am back tracking. Froome is trying a double GT. I still favor him in the TT, but not for the title. The rate of suceess for doing well in back to back GTs is not good in the modern era. I still think Valverde is a sleeper. Much time can be gained on a few key stages in the last week. I predict a bold moves at some points and wide swings in time. Let Alberto and Froome beat each other up only to attack them in the end.

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
The Hitch said:
Big mcquaid fan. Wants.toc and uspcc to replace the giro.and vuelta so just spams giro and vuelta threads none stop to.comment that no one cared and the racing sucks.
Ignore it.

What on earth are you sputtering Hitch. Spff.... the uspcc is a nice side-show, but will never be a GT. It was improved this year, and it has some room to grow, but anyone who talks the dream of US GT does not have their feet on the ground.

But for that matter, Nibali will be a good bet for worlds. He chose the uspcc and rode like a fool in break after break, to no avail, but the training at altitude will pay big dividends. The uspcc is not without merit.

McQuaid must be in hype mode.

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
I don't know why people in this forum seem to think Froome is the next Indurain and Contador forgot how to TT. All this year and some of the last Froome got beaten by Wiggins, who was beaten multiple in times in various TTs by Contador before the ban.

And in his last two important TTs, both absolutely flat ones, Contador finished 3rd, in Giro he already had over 6 minutes and the Tour was the worst ever for him in the mountains. Not to forget Martin was as invincible in TTs last year as Wiggins this year.

I bang my head against the wall whenever people talk about Froome putting minutes into Contador in any kind of TT, hell, even Schleck never lost that much. :rolleyes:

Even in a pancake flat TT there won't be more than 10 seconds between the two.

BillytheKid said:
What on earth are you sputtering Hitch. Spff.... the uspcc is a nice side-show, but will never be a GT. It was improved this year, and it has some room to grow, but anyone who talks the dream of US GT does not have their feet on the ground.

But for that matter, Nibali will be a good bet for worlds. He chose the uspcc and rode like a fool in break after break, to no avail, but the training at altitude will pay big dividends. The uspcc is not without merit.

McQuaid must be in hype mode.

you miss understood his post, he was talking about bavarian rider which is the guy that thinks the ToC and the USPCC should replace the giro and the vuelta.

also nibali didn't choose to ride neither the ToC nor the USPCC this year, cannondale forced him too and racing the ToC was actually the reason why nibali was so bad at the dauphine.

TRENDING THREADS