• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Hilly TT of 40 km: Contador or Froome?

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Hilly TT of 40 km - Contador or Froome, who is better?

• don't know

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
rantanplan said:
The descent is really tecnical... I think that Valverde and even Purito are going to do a good ITT.

Whose better between Froome and Contador on such descents? I can't recall seeing Froome in a significant solo descent.

At any rate, my prediction: Contador will pip Froome by a handful of seconds. Call it 15.

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
eleven said:
Whose better between Froome and Contador on such descents? I can't recall seeing Froome in a significant solo descent.

At any rate, my prediction: Contador will pip Froome by a handful of seconds. Call it 15.

Contador can descend really good if he has to. Look at paris-nice 07 or tour '11.

He was forced to descend hard in these situations, normally he isn't forced to do so obviously :D

If the descend is technical Contador will have an advantage on the other of the big 4.

sultanofhyd said:
I don't know why people in this forum seem to think Froome is the next Indurain and Contador forgot how to TT. All this year and some of the last Froome got beaten by Wiggins, who was beaten multiple in times in various TTs by Contador before the ban.

And in his last two important TTs, both absolutely flat ones, Contador finished 3rd, in Giro he already had over 6 minutes and the Tour was the worst ever for him in the mountains. Not to forget Martin was as invincible in TTs last year as Wiggins this year.

I bang my head against the wall whenever people talk about Froome putting minutes into Contador in any kind of TT, hell, even Schleck never lost that much. :rolleyes:

Even in a pancake flat TT there won't be more than 10 seconds between the two.

Evans put two and a half minutes into Schleck last year in the Tour. Wiggins would have annihilated Schleck in this year's Tour so by that standard Froome looks pretty good. Contador would not even get close to Wiggins at the moment. Fatigue will cost Froome some time but he can still beat Contador I think. Been a while since Contador has ridden such a TT, as well. Comparing the old Wiggins to the new is like comparing the old Menchov to the new. There is no comparison.

I think that if all things were equal Froome is slightly better. However, I think that Froome's looking tired and that makes it too close to call, but it will be close and the time gap will not be significant.

More interesting to me is how Purito and Valverde go.

Miburo said:
Contador is now winning in the polls, at one point Froome was in the lead by 10 orso.

Goes to show that this is a very unpredictable TT, due to true form levels still being an unknown.

Also goes to show that a number of forumites, who have been in and out of the Clinic and other Froome threads during the Tourlympics, calling him super-human, actually don't believe their own posts!

The Hitch said:
Big mcquaid fan. Wants.toc and uspcc to replace the giro.and vuelta so just spams giro and vuelta threads none stop to.comment that no one cared and the racing sucks.
Ignore it.

ROTFL...I'm American and the TOC and USPCC are so far out of the league of the Vuelta it is laughable!!

Heck even P&P called the Vuelta 'the 3rd most prestigious stage race in the world' during Nibali's ITT yesterday. They are usually Talking UP the TOC and USPCC; finally gave some real info to US viewers.

sultanofhyd said:
I don't know why people in this forum seem to think Froome is the next Indurain and Contador forgot how to TT. All this year and some of the last Froome got beaten by Wiggins, who was beaten multiple in times in various TTs by Contador before the ban.

Pointless comparison. Wiggins this year is not the same as earlier. He was clearly the best TTer in the world this year, better than Martin and Cancellara even. And Froome was close behind. That's why he's "the next Indurain". His form may be questionable though.

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
people do not want to have a new hierarchy. the easiest way is to close the eyes and not to look up to froome. the forum keeps sinking.. for those who prefer unbiased coverage,at least.

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
airstream said:
people do not want to have a new hierarchy. the easiest way is to close the eyes and not to look up to froome. the forum keeps sinking.. for those who prefer unbiased coverage,at least.

Do u see the ironi in that?

For the record I votes Froome, but think margin will be small

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
spalco said:
That's why he's "the next Indurain". His form may be questionable though.

It's a disgrace to compare him with Indurain. I know why people say it and I can get it but still it's a disgrace

Indurain won against the best in the world unlike him, has more class in his left toe than him.

Did I already mention that Indurain won against the best of his time? ;)

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
airstream said:
no, neither irony nor humor. I just see people vote for 'who would you like to be better' :)

I guess it's stupid to vote on a guy who beated Canc in a TT and absolutely dominated the TT's in the pais basque. And on a bad shape, not really motivated was 3th in tour'11 TT behind evans/martin who were 100% and really motivated.

Yeah it's really *** ;)

airstream said:

Seriously.png

airstream said:
no, neither irony nor humor. I just see people vote for 'who would you like to be better' :)

That's up to them, but after a day I decided to vote for Contador. Yes I want him to win, but I also think he will beat Froome wednesday.
Allthough Froome could very well beat him as well. In reality it's a very tough call so it's not that strange it's 50/50 if you look at it unbiased. I know that's hard for you though :)

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
damn, lol, once again Contador fans call an about 95% preparedness a bad shape. He was in great shape in the last weak of the 2011 Tour. But sometimes even good shape does not guarantee absence of crisis moments. Contador was in bad form in criterium internacional 2010 (or 2009?). if one tries to reason like you it comes that badly a halfway prepared contador will easily podium in any gt which is an absolute myth. you, fans, really built a fairytale you wanna live in. i don't relally care who will win the race, so i try to look at all the things unbiasedly. but really hilarious how any comparisons and analogies are distorted and handled against froome

in case froome takes a minute in tt, i expect to read "gah... :( alberto is not prepared at even a quarter compared to he could"

Miburo said:
It's a disgrace to compare him with Indurain. I know why people say it and I can get it but still it's a disgrace

Indurain won against the best in the world unlike him, has more class in his left toe than him.

Did I already mention that Indurain won against the best of his time? ;)

I just followed up on the analogy of the comment I quoted, I didn't mean it literally.

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
airstream said:
damn, lol, once again Contador fans call an about 95% preparedness a bad shape. He was in great shape in the last weak of the 2011 Tour. But sometimes even good shape does not guarantee absence of crisis moments. Contador was in bad form in criterium internacional 2010 (or 2009?). if one tries to reason like you it comes that badly a halfway prepared contador will easily podium in any gt which is an absolute myth. you, fans, really built a fairytale you wanna live in. i don't relally care who will win the race, so i try to look at all the things unbiasedly. but really hilarious how any comparisons and analogies are distorted and handled against froome

in case froome takes a minute in tt, i expect to read "gah... :( alberto is not prepared at even a quarter compared to he could"

Everybody in this forum is biased...its impossible to be unbiased when you watch cycling some time:rolleyes:

TRENDING THREADS