• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Hincapie confession?

Page 9 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 14, 2009
Visit site
Cloxxki said:
USADA can easily find reason to retest some sample for George, or look again at blood values, can't they? Would not be cool of George to be found lying here. He got off way too lightly.

+1. I hope this is not the end of his punishment

Love the Scenery said:
Did Oscar Pereiro just get his stage win over George Hincapie?

Edit: Just looked in more detail. Yes, Hincapie stripped of 2004-2006 results. Stage win was in 2005. I wonder if they will vacate the stage or give it to Pereiro. Big George did some pretty unapologetic wheel sucking that day, Pereiro was mightily upset.

Finally a clean winner.:rolleyes:

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Love the Scenery said:
Wow, VERY bad memories. There go Oscar Sevilla, Armstrong, Ullrich, Rasmussen, Vinokourov, Hincapie, Basso ... doper after doper after doper, all busily engaged in lying, cheating, and defrauding. And Phil Liggett cheering it on. Sometimes we forget how very, very bad things were as recently as 2005.

What about 2009 an 2010?

May 6, 2010
Visit site
Epicycle said:
George wasn't wheelsucking. He explained after Pereiro complained - he couldn't come around Oscar earlier because the crowd was in the way.

I'm going to assume that's sarcasm or humor.

EDIT: A wheelsuck is a wheelsuck. It's when you spend the whole stage behind someone in the slipstream and then come around in the last 200 meters having used someone's energy and not contributed at all. Why you wheelsuck doesn't really matter. Maybe George had very good reasons. Maybe they were legitimate. Maybe Pereiro insulted his family. Maybe the crowd forced him to wheelsuck. He still wheelsucked that day.

May 6, 2010
Visit site
Hugh Januss said:
Finally a clean winner.:rolleyes:

Memories ...

1 George Hincapie (USA) Discovery Channel 6.06.38 (33.63 km/h)
2 Oscar Pereiro Sio (Spa) Phonak Hearing Systems 0.06
3 Pietro Caucchioli (Ita) Credit Agricole 0.38
4 Michael Boogerd (Ned) Rabobank 0.57
5 Laurent Brochard (Fra) Bouygues Telecom 2.19
6 Ivan Basso (Ita) Team CSC 5.04
7 Lance Armstrong (USA) Discovery Channel
8 Oscar Sevilla (Spa) T-Mobile Team 6.28
9 Jan Ullrich (Ger) T-Mobile Team
10 Michael Rasmussen (Den) Rabobank 6.32
11 Francisco Mancebo (Spa) Illes Balears-Caisse d'Epargne
12 Alexandre Vinokourov (Kaz) T-Mobile Team 7.33
13 Levi Leipheimer (USA) Gerolsteiner 7.54
14 Christophe Moreau (Fra) Credit Agricole 8.14
15 Haimar Zubeldia (Spa) Euskaltel-Euskadi 8.47
16 Cadel Evans (Aus) Davitamon-Lotto
17 Eddy Mazzoleni (Ita) Lampre-Caffita 8.54
18 Yaroslav Popovych (Ukr) Discovery Channel 9.32
19 Floyd Landis (USA) Phonak Hearing Systems 9.34
20 Allan Davis (Aus) Liberty Seguros-Würth 10.37
21 Leonardo Piepoli (Ita) Saunier Duval-Prodir 11.00
22 Andreas Klöden (Ger) T-Mobile Team 11.27

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Anyone care to dig out Wiggins quote from 2006 about the only clean riders finishing in the bus during the TdF?

This was the year they all stopped doping apparently :rolleyes:

Yeah sure, Hincapie, Leipheimer, Barry stopped and pigs flew.

May 6, 2010
Visit site
Benotti69 said:
Anyone care to dig out Wiggins quote from 2006 about the only clean riders finishing in the bus during the TdF?

This was the year they all stopped doping apparently :rolleyes:

Yeah sure, Hincapie, Leipheimer, Barry stopped and pigs flew.

"I've got children, a wife and a house and I could lose my livelihood because someone who tests positive finishes ahead of me. It's about time someone had some balls and told it how it was. There are enough of us who think the way I do."

"They say it's only one or two but I'm sure more people are doing these things. So it's my role as a role-model to expose it and not pretend it isn't happening," he continued. "I don't think it's right I should come up in front of everyone and put up a smokescreen and say everybody is OK and there are only one or two people doing this. My big motivation this year is to prove that you can win clean."

He was particularly upset at Tour de France winner Floyd Landis, who tested positive for testosterone. "I was really angry with Landis. It sickens me. He tested positive and then he was denying it. He took us riders for fools."

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/wiggins-landis-took-us-riders-for-fools

Wiggins is a firm believer that Armstrong is innocent until proven guilty, admitting that he is a fan of the seven-time Tour winner.

“I’ve always been a bit of a fan of Lance and have sided on the side of innocent until proven guilty with him. There isn’t an athlete or a cyclist out there that isn’t more tested than he is, certainly since his comeback, he’s probably been the most tested cyclist in the pro peloton and you take that on face value and that he’s never failed a drugs test and until he does he’s clean. That’s how I’ve always had as a stance on Lance.”

The contention that Armstrong is the most tested athlete now or in any of his years of competition has never been proven but the allegations levelled at him by former teammate Floyd Landis shocked the sport back in May, when they first surfaced.

“All the other stuff that’s come on with Landis and things like that is one for the courts and whether the truth will ever come out is down to this investigation. I think time will tell with that. As it stands today, with the time I’ve raced with him – and I’ve never raced with him in his era of winning seven Tours – but in his comeback, he’s probably been the most tested athlete and never failed a drugs test.”

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/wiggins-calls-for-biological-passport-data-to-be-made-public

Edit: Relevance to Thread: Hincapie's and others' statements that they stopped doping in 2006 -- Wiggins' 2007 reaction to doping in the 2006 Tour -- Bonus Wiggins quote that seems very appropriate to revisit today!

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
I thought Hincapie was banned?

If so why is he anywhere near an official Team on his bike in what looks like US Champ Kit?
8472847707_edcc784b20_z.jpg

By all means supply the team, but a ban is just that.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
good spot ultimobici.

hincapie sums up cycling.

he's an omertist and unrepentant doper who made millions off the backs of clean riders, yet he's one of the most respected people in the peloton, and he's planning to stay in the game for many years to come and pass on his 'virtues' to next generations.

https://www.hincapie.com

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Well its not a sanctioned Triathlon. He's retired so can wear/use any biking product he can find handy. I'm sure BMC is happy to have him still riding their bike frame, but not allow the team to use his clothing company anymore :D

mastersracer

BANNED
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Athame said:
Yeah, odd: he's not flying the past Nat. Champ colors.

that's a national team kit, not nat. champion - and it's not 2009/10. The suspended Garmin riders are training in plain castelli kits - Hincapie should at least respect the rules and set a 'good' example by not wearing team kits while he's technically under suspension (unless there's some loophole about retirement superseding the suspension).

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
TheEnoculator said:
Are you serious? Hincapie's confession would be the jewel of all doping confessions in the history of all sports. If George admits to doping, that'd seriously put Cancer Boy at a disadvantage. His confession would effectively end all Armstrong myths overnight, and Armstrong would be hunted like a blood hound hunts down an injured rabbit.

Well, what you predicted has indeed come to pass. Hincapie's confession was the jewel - in the public court. It turned the tide. Lance's myths have ended, and he is now hunted.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
mastersracer said:
Hincapie should at least respect the rules and set a 'good' example by not wearing team kits.

Right, he's not but he's also not wearing his collar and sleeve stripes of a past Nat. Champ on the clothing of his own team!

Can he wear them on his own names sake team or does it not work like that.

mastersracer

BANNED
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Athame said:
Right, he's not but he's also not wearing his collar and sleeve stripes of a past Nat. Champ on the clothing of his own team!

Can he wear them on his own names sake team or does it not work like that.

good point - he probably has some kits with US flags on the sleeve coming up from Columbia.

TRENDING THREADS